Ultimate space simulation software

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Suggestions & Feedback about the Website and Forum

19 Aug 2016 07:30

New website has been launched in a test mode!

Today we presenting this more modern website to you. Please register on the forum and start posting! Any suggestions about this website are highly appreciated in this thread (including grammar corrections :) ). The Universe section should be filled with screenshots, so you are welcome to post screenshots in this thread. If you are mod-maker, feel free to create a threads about your mods in the Mods and Addons forum and copy information from the old forum there.

The new forum engine supports many useful options, including more powerful image posting (inline, i.e. directly in the text), option to switch from WYSIWYG text editor to the BB-code 'source' editor (the very first button in the editor menu), fullscreen edit (second button), saving drafts. It also support inserting of formulae in the LaTeX format. Use the [ tex ] BB code to insert the formula. For example, this code
[tex]\left|x\right|=\sqrt{x^2}[/tex]
inserts the formula:

\left|x\right|=\sqrt{x^2}

You may use the online LaTeX editor. It also opens by pressing the "Add mathcode" button on the "Attachments" tab on the forum message editor.

Julien12150
Observer
Observer

Re: Suggestions about new website

10 Oct 2016 12:35

simple smiley images are bad, replace them with emojis pls

The_Blazer
Observer
Observer

10 Oct 2016 14:06

Here are a few off the top of my head:

1. The posting system on the forum is still dated. If you look at something like Reddit, you can post in a window at the bottom or top of the page, so that you can write your post and quickly scroll back up if you need to read or check something. We could really use this feature.

2. When you open the new website, initially you will see a blank screen with just stars as the logo sloooowly forms. Now, the animation looks awesome, but the logo should probably pop up sooner and some of the page should be visible without scrolling. This is a minor thing of course, but the initial completely blank state of the page gives a first impression of lack of content, which we probably do not want.

3. The screenshots section looks like something you could scroll through, but it's actually just a link to a separate page. I think it would be better if you could scroll through some of the shots from the homepage, and then have a separate "More" button below the gallery that sends you to the complete list of screenshots with categories.

4. The cards below the screenshots sections are cool, but right now it looks like you could fit the entire text of each card on the front of it without flipping them. I suggest to make the front text much bigger so it fills the entire card, and perhaps putting a muted color background behind them. Space Engine is a game of beauty, and that should be sold to the viewer as much as possible by having a lot of images in all the places where they can look good. Also, right now the cards use caps and small letters, separated by a line, to write the same text. So it feels like reading "THOUSANDS OF KNOWN celestial objects". It just looks weird and inharmonious.

Lastly, the system requirements could be a bit more specific.
Born too early to explore space... but just in time for Space Engine!

waterlubber
Observer
Observer

10 Oct 2016 16:19

It's really awesome! I'm not sure how I feel about slideshows (see this xkcd comic), but it's so much cleaner and neater than the previous website, and is in general something I'd see from a professional game company. I would put a note on the login page saying you need to create a new account (as I discovered). 
I remember the old forum!

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

11 Oct 2016 10:09

The site it is very beautiful.
Otherwise some suggestion :
  • If there will be in several languages, but I already see that there are already Russian and English (soon it will be known)
  • In the beginning, I congratulate you already, I do not know how you did it but I presume it's pictures, it would be good to come out of the galaxy and we are headed towards Earth, to show that the universe is vast and we are just a point in the galaxy itself is a point in the universe. If we can do more advanced, you can make detours to show in passing new (black hole accretion disks, ...).
  • Create a special mod page if it's possible to do an insert with the Steam workshop if he has one and can directly spaceengine downloaded mods (I'm not sure if it's possible but I think it's difficult)
  • In the universe page, if we can put categories and if posible subcategories for each type of celestial body with of course a description of the location and coordinates of the object in the picture. Example : Category : Planets/Terra/Temperate/Life, picture in this category : Earth :)
  • If the idea above with categories for picture is a little big/complicated, why not make some sort of wiki ?
Otherwise I think that's all for now, good continuation :) .
► Information

swefan
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

About this forum (questions)

30 Oct 2016 06:24

This will be the official forum of Space Engine or it's just an alternative one?

And... I would like to share a mod I can do it here or in the other forum?

Great game! Thanks!!  ;)

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Re: About this forum (questions)

02 Nov 2016 10:55

This site will replace the old one. Feel free to share you mods in the mods forum!

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

02 Nov 2016 14:33

Can all the threads be moved from the old forum to this one?
BTW, this new site is beautiful
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Kexitt
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

02 Nov 2016 14:49

What do I do wrong? My profile picture must be less then 6Kb, but it looks horrible because of compression.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

02 Nov 2016 15:54

Can all the threads be moved from the old forum to this one?
BTW, this new site is beautiful
Sadly no, different format.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

NathanKerbonaut
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

02 Nov 2016 16:14

Beautifully designed site! My only suggestion is when I leave a reply, I wish the type box were already at the bottom of the page, like it was on the old site, rather than opening a new page. It's very minor, but it'd feel a little smoother.
I like cute pokemon and space games.
My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=173
Profile pic source: https://goo.gl/JdZX5v

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

02 Nov 2016 16:17

we can try to copy paste the threads themself....but copy paste every single post in the threads wont work
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

02 Nov 2016 16:41

I've just tried to attach a script file with exension .sc but it seems it's an unknown filetype so it's not uploaded.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

02 Nov 2016 18:04

I've just tried to attach a script file with exension .sc but it seems it's an unknown filetype so it's not uploaded.
Attaching files is still not a finished feature, much like avatars the file size is set too low.  You can expect a lot to change in the future
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

02 Nov 2016 19:09

Can we have the "New Posts" page on this new site?
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams