Ultimate space simulation software

MatsoftwareAtHereToo
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Re: Suggestions about new website

04 Nov 2016 11:29

In http://new.spaceengine.org/manual/space-flight-school/  Links section, the epub file linked it's an outdated version.
Could someone please change the link with this?

https://yadi.sk/i/aulkn3jyumxTL

It's a different named file so I can possibly update the source while the link stays the same. Thanks.

But maybe does not matter because I'm only almost nine years old|DOT|
(I writing |DOT|s, because in my opinion the dots (.) are ugly)
The fact you're 9 yo doesn't concern us. Enjoy your rebellion while you can|EXCLAMATION MARK| ;)

Generally speaking I have a preference too for less dark themes, but I know it's a matter of personal taste. What matters is readability and I think it's fine.
I've just visited the mainpage with my 5" smartphone, and there are some elements to take care of, like the menu button which is placed over the main title, or system requirements section which has I think a fixed value for the width ad it's crunching the text. This in portrait mode, with Chrome.
In landscape mode it's gorgeous.

For the advertising thing, I think you're not taking into account the goals of this software, meant to be sold eventually in its gaming version.
Ok, then it's not a place where the community thinks I'm stupid, silly, dummy, etc, because I'm just 8|DOT|
My mods, My forum
The new website is too dark|DOT| Matsoftware from the old forum[DOT]

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Nov 2016 11:33

SpaceEngineer:
Ok. It would be cool if the text itself were converted to html, so we can embed it to the website.
mmh, maybe with Calibre... I'll try something by starting from Jherschel original files.

MatsoftwareAtHereToo:
Ok, then it's not a place where the community thinks I'm stupid, silly, dummy, etc, because I'm just 8|DOT|
Honestly, the fact you are |DOT|ting your text because you think dots are ugly it's a silliness that's typical for your age, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone older than you in some forum would do the same. It's a bit distracting and affects readability of what you write, but not a problem per se.
And now I'm officially off-topic, and you too. :oops:
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Nov 2016 19:00

The mark forum read button has apparently disappeared.  
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

05 Nov 2016 00:31

Ok, now that I've been on the new forum a while, here are my thoughts about it:

-I like the main page and the animations.  Very nicely done!
-The "Universe" page to showcase the various types of objects that can be found in SE was a great idea.
-The dark background is nice, and it's great for reducing eye strain.  However, it feels too simple and empty in my opinion.  One thing I really liked about the old forum was its visual presentation -- same dark color scheme, but with blue borders and headings to help fill in the space and demarcate separate posts.  It's a bit of visual polish that I think goes a long way toward making a site feel special.  Is it at all possible to have something like that here?
-Also if possible, I'd really like a 'new posts' page.  -Nevermind, that exists!
Last edited by Watsisname on 05 Nov 2016 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

05 Nov 2016 06:42

-The dark background is nice, and it's great for reducing eye strain.  However, it feels too simple and empty in my opinion.  One thing I really liked about the old forum was its visual presentation -- same dark color scheme, but with blue borders and headings to help fill in the space and demarcate separate posts.  It's a bit of visual polish that I think goes a long way toward making a site feel special.  Is it at all possible to have something like that here?
-Also if possible, I'd really like a 'new posts' page.
Just so happens, I know a way to make it feel less empty! In my alien astrophotography series, i reduce the overbright to 1 and increase the star mag value. More of the dimmer stars fill the screen, but aren't too obvious.
scr00145.jpg
scr00146.jpg
For the 'new posts' page, go to the menu button in the top left corner of the top of the page and click on New posts.
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

05 Nov 2016 07:03

When using the search function the highlight color is yellow and makes it hard to read, that should probably be changed. 
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

05 Nov 2016 19:13

For the 'new posts' page, go to the menu button in the top left corner of the top of the page and click on New posts.
Oh! Thank you.  I had no idea that little thing was a menu -- I've never been one for text-free interfaces.

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

05 Nov 2016 20:16

Oh! Thank you.  I had no idea that little thing was a menu -- I've never been one for text-free interfaces.
Yeah, I didn't know either until SpaceEngineer told me
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

MatsoftwareAtHereToo
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

06 Nov 2016 01:19

The scroller thing is too dark, it must be brighter, rarely I can't see[DOT]
My mods, My forum
The new website is too dark|DOT| Matsoftware from the old forum[DOT]

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

07 Nov 2016 14:56

We have added the "First unread post" button - look for it near the pages switcher. It's not the same though... I think it should change to "New posts" then user is in the board or forum index page.

Sion
Astronaut
Astronaut

Suggestions about new website

07 Nov 2016 15:02

I fixed some grammatical mistakes on the description on the home page:

SpaceEngine is a realistic virtual Universe you can explore on your computer. You can travel from star to star, from galaxy to galaxy, landing on any planet, moon, or asteroid with the ability to explore their alien landscapes. You can alter the speed of time and observe any celestial phenomena as you please. All transitions are completely seamless, and this virtual universe has a size of billions of light-years across and contains trillions of planetary systems. Procedural generation is based on real scientific knowledge, so SpaceEngine depicts the universe the way it is thought to be by modern science. Real celestial objects are also available if you want to visit , including the planets and moons of our Solar system, thousands of nearby stars with newly discovered exoplanets, and thousands of galaxies that are currently known. It is also possible to try to be in the role of a spaceship pilot. All of which, for free, in this vast simulation of the universe.

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

07 Nov 2016 20:21

Is text broken for anyone else from earlier posts?

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

07 Nov 2016 21:12

specifically the extremes thread

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

08 Nov 2016 01:54

Seems like you can read tags.
I'm gonna do some experiments:

bla bla bla
abcdfghi
abc

EDIT: Ok, it works fine for me, even in the extremes thread. Maybe the bug have been fixed.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

Leox91
Observer
Observer

08 Nov 2016 03:49

Yeah the new site is cool...a bit slower than the older. But I think that you're destroying the community by separating the old forum and the new one. You really don't want to do this: I saw a lot of homemade browser games and projects to be destroyed by deleting the old community.

EDIT: reply with Quote does not work for me. Latest Google Chrome (v54), Windows 10 Anniversary.