Ultimate space simulation software

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Suggestions about new website

08 Nov 2016 04:34

SpaceEngineer, I've done an HTML conversion of the space flight school manual from the epub version with Calibre because the code is much cleaner this way.
How would you like to proceed, you mentioned embedding the text. Was your intention to use an <embed> tag, or simply copy-paste the text into manual section?
The old epub version is now unreachable.
I think that you're destroying the community by separating the old forum and the new one.[...] I saw a lot of homemade browser games and projects to be destroyed by deleting the old community.
How do you suggest such change of website and forum tools could be managed? As explained, old posts and forum users can't be imported.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

08 Nov 2016 10:52

For information Forum rules still does not work. Dice is clicked, it adds # at the end of the current url (example : http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=377#).

Yes I read :
Oh, and the "Forum Rules" button doesn't seem to do anything. Then again maybe it's my school's internet being weird. :P
it is not filled yet.
But I thought that was the update this morning.
► Information

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

08 Nov 2016 11:36

Testing non-default font:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

The quick brown
fox jumps over the lazy dog

Ok, Since many of you like to use different fonts in posts, and recently I'm seeing many unreadable:
The first three sentences were written right away and only after I selected the text I wanted to change, and I chose another font.

With the other sentences I chose in advance a font, then I wrote the sentence, hit return, chose another font, I wrote, hit return, changed font, I wrote...
As you can see the last sentence lost the font, because I was writing the text as if I were using a standard writing software, and the WYSIWYG editor here nested a closing font tag. You can see it in your own posts if you view the source of your message (Ctrl+Shift+s).
[/font][/font]

The point is, this is not a writing software but an enhanced forum editor, and many editors behave pretty the same in many forums around.
So if you really must to use another font in your posts, pay attention: write down all the text you want, and then select and change font just before submitting the post.
Also, there's a preview button, use it. ;)

| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

08 Nov 2016 12:09

You can see it in your own posts if you view the source of your message (Ctrl+Shift+s).
I did not know there was a shortcut to move from the visual editor to the source code and vice verca. Thanks :) !
► Information

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

09 Nov 2016 15:50

the scrolling bar on the right is too blurry. its grey-black on black line. almost invisible. i know there is arrows to press so you will reach the bottom of the page but i think the bar should be in different color so ppl can hold it and scroll down the page as they like instead of mouse weel for seconds to reach the bottom  :)
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

09 Nov 2016 17:18

the scrolling bar on the right is too blurry. its grey-black on black line. almost invisible
So invisible that I don't see it :D
Appunti01.jpg

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

10 Nov 2016 05:23

I always prefer to use the source code editor mode (the very first button in the editor menu). It gives much more control over the WYSIWYG editor, and I can always switch back to WYSIWYG to "preview" the message.

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

10 Nov 2016 10:49

lol mostef. is your image after it being changed? for me it changed now. but before it was really black scrolling bar i could not see well
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

10 Nov 2016 14:34

Math codes don't work  :( When I click it, it asks me for a video URL
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

StanE
Observer
Observer

10 Nov 2016 22:53

I have two requests:

- Who is responsible for the website (who is the contact person)?

- At least as long as the new site is being tested, could you please use non-minimized versions of CSS and JS or at least (if you use scripts to generate them) allow to trigger this through a GET parameter or so? It's impossible to test easily, if everything is a one-liner.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

14 Nov 2016 04:18

LaTeX test:

\int_{T_0}^{0C}\frac{dT}{L_f (T)} = \frac{1}{m}\int_{0}^{m_f}\frac{dm_{f}^{'}}{c_w\left(1-\frac{m_{f}^{'}}{m}\right)+c_i\left(\frac{m_f^{'}}{m} \right)}

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

14 Nov 2016 13:41

simple smiley images are bad, replace them with emojis pls
Please don't. No issue with emojis being used by whoever wants to use them but please do keep the good old yellow faces going strong.

Also, the background here is uncomfortably dark. I much prefer the one in the old forum. Can we customize it at will?

(I'll get to upload my profile pic once I find it... or maybe I'll make a new one)
My addons are to be found at JCandeias' Ships

Current count: 2

MatsoftwareAtHereToo
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

15 Nov 2016 06:58

I think the plans are bad and the old website was much better, here is some things that can make the new website better:
Don't close the old website, because by closing the old website, SE will lose many users,
The flat theme is boring, don't use flat theme instead, because it will make the look rare, and nice[DOT]
but with blue borders and headings to help fill in the space and demarcate separate posts
Watsisname, yes, use blue borders, because the website would be brighter[DOT]
My mods, My forum
The new website is too dark|DOT| Matsoftware from the old forum[DOT]

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

15 Nov 2016 11:14

Don't close the old website, because by closing the old website, SE will lose many users,
It's nonsense. The software will be used anyway. People search webpages because they seek help or advice regarding Space Engine, they want to know about it, then they stick around forums if they find it worthy. It's not really the appearance that make it so, it's the users behavior and contents. There are forums it's not worth going in because of lack of rules of conduct or users rudeness, but the software to which the forum is related is thriving nonetheless.

QuietlyConident
Observer
Observer

15 Nov 2016 11:15

Also, the background here is uncomfortably dark. I much prefer the one in the old forum. Can we customize it at will?
God yes.
I genuinely am having a LOT of trouble reading this new Forum as the background for every single box is black. I have mild vision acuity problems and it's horrific to use. Please please please give us a way to change the theme of the Forum from our user profile. Otherwise I can't see myself ever being able to use this place :S