Ultimate space simulation software

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Suggestions & Feedback about the Website and Forum

08 Mar 2017 02:11

Yeah, I agree with that.  It is a pretty useful feature in many cases, and I'd much rather see people editing posts than multiposting.  I suppose it could be abused, but it's not a problem unless it's a problem and if so it's easy to deal with.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

15 Mar 2017 09:39

I think that one should be able to go to profiles without being logged in, i think many people only register to view profiles.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

15 Mar 2017 09:44

I suppose it could be abused, but it's not a problem unless it's a problem and if so it's easy to deal with.
I haven't figured out the permissions for it yet, but I will ask about changing it.
I think that one should be able to go to profiles without being logged in, i think many people only register to view profiles.
This is a standard feature on pretty much all forums and I think it should stay.  It gives people an incentive to register, even if it is a small one.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

15 Mar 2017 09:51

This is a standard feature on pretty much all forums and I think it should stay.  It gives people an incentive to register, even if it is a small one.
I asked because 90% of profiles have no posts, so the user number is very misleading. It seems to me that a lot of people only register to view profiles.

Maybe a number for users with posts and a number for posts per user should be added in the board index statistics box?

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

15 Mar 2017 10:42

It seems to me that a lot of people only register to view profiles.
Sounds very weird to me... isn't it possible that someone register to the site but simply doesn't post anything? :)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

15 Mar 2017 12:02

Sounds very weird to me... isn't it possible that someone register to the site but simply doesn't post anything?
Yes, that is certainly a possibility. I said "a lot of" not "all" people only register to view profiles. :)

Also, the "unread posts" thing should have numbers, showing the number of unread posts in each topic, and the number of all unread posts :)

bmigs01
Observer
Observer

15 Mar 2017 18:55

I think the forums should have new posts at the top. If having the intro is too important then maybe the intro post takes top priority, then the rest of the topic is newest - oldest. 

Also, I don't know how to bookmark anything here and yet it's an option in settings
"Never stop creating!" - Ben Migliore www.benmigliore.com

bmigs01
Observer
Observer

15 Mar 2017 19:23

Okay here are features I think would make this forum 10 times better. 
  • ability to like posts
  • bookmark posts - for example, I'd like to bookmark an awesome post in image dump
  • browse posts in user's profiles - If I click my profile, I'd see posts I have make
  • User generated topics - maybe this is already implemented, but I don't know how I'd do this. For example, I'd like to post awesome space pictures in my own little topic where I'd post my pictures.
"Never stop creating!" - Ben Migliore www.benmigliore.com

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

15 Mar 2017 21:33

browse posts in user's profiles - If I click my profile, I'd see posts I have make
You can!  Go to their profile, and then under user statistics click "search user's posts".
User generated topics - maybe this is already implemented,
It is.  A new user just has to make few posts first before they can make a thread.
For example, I'd like to post awesome space pictures in my own little topic where I'd post my pictures.
Well, if you do that then why shouldn't everyone else have their own image thread?  Better that all Space-Engine images go into one image dump thread, and if you want to keep a collection of your own images then you can make a gallery using something like Imgur.  You could also link to your gallery in your signature. :)

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

16 Mar 2017 07:59

Well, if you do that then why shouldn't everyone else have their own image thread?
Why does a lot of people have individual mod threads then?  :P
It is.  A new user just has to make few posts first before they can make a thread.
It is 10 posts, as said in the forum rules.
I think the forums should have new posts at the top.
Threads with unread posts in them have titles with bold text, and the forum already does what you suggested. But if you want to see unread posts, go click on the unread posts button. :)
Sounds very weird to me... isn't it possible that someone register to the site but simply doesn't post anything?
I came only to this forum to get Space Engine fixed, so registering but not posting anything seems alien to me ;)

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

16 Mar 2017 12:22

Having to register in a forum sometimes for the sake of posting only a couple messages is a really common necessity in order to troubleshoot some hardware or software issue under any platform. Some users who don't post anything at all, on the other hand, could be quite possibly bots, or the result of a registration process gone bad.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

16 Mar 2017 23:12

Why does a lot of people have individual mod threads then?
If everyone made their own thread for their screenshots, you would have hundreds of very similar threads.  Would you really peruse them all as they all get updated?  I'd rather have one place where I can see the latest images.

Mods are more unique and generally require more effort.  It's better for the mod author to collect their work in their own thread where they can add and edit as they please, and better for the users to be able to find or reference that work according to a particular author.

That's not to say that screenshots are inferior or anything. There are a few incredibly talented screenshot takers on the forum who have such a distinctive style that I actually would like to see a dedicated gallery for their own work. :)

Dwarden
Observer
Observer

18 Mar 2017 09:37

i would kike to suggest that forums use openID so you can register and login with at least those:
STEAM, Twitter, Facebook, Google ID ... 

p.s. i was sad to realize the new forums don't import old profiles, but oh well ...
Ideas are like ocean w/o borders! https://twitter.com/FoltynD

Dwarden
Observer
Observer

18 Mar 2017 09:53

+ seems i can't edit my own posts (even recent/last one)

what happens with the groups / status from previous forums ?

any chance for badge/profile indicator for those who backed/donated the Space Engine project ?
Ideas are like ocean w/o borders! https://twitter.com/FoltynD

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

18 Mar 2017 11:42

seems i can't edit my own posts (even recent/last one)
Anti-spam feature. You need 10 posts to edit/create a new thread. A similar measure was adopted in the old forum.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |