Ultimate space simulation software

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Ringworlds?

13 Apr 2018 08:37

Is it theoretically possible for SE to have ringworlds or Dyson Spheres? Probably would be a mother to load them, but being able to explore a real-size ringworld even on low quality/LOD would be amazing.

Here's what I'm talking about:

I personally wouldn't care about any sort of design realism. Just give me a crust and some landscape/atmosphere on top, and I'm happy. :lol:

Gnargenox
Pioneer
Pioneer

Ringworlds?

13 Apr 2018 11:20

I've seen Mods of Hollow Worlds, by the mad modding genius Jack Dole on earlier versions of SE. Simply a Selena with a hole on one side and a tiny sun visible on the inside. Im sure you weren't able to enter the hole, but the interior was a full sized plant landscape only convex. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to enlarge the hole, add another on the other side and enlarge it too so you end up with a Terra looking ring in scale with a normal sized star in the center. Again you couldn't land. Maybe his magic is using transparent textures, maybe it is the clipping created by adding an invisible sphere partially inside a visible one. Who knows.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

JackDole
World Builder
World Builder

Ringworlds?

13 Apr 2018 12:05

Gnargenox wrote:
Source of the post mad modding genius Jack Dole

8-)

Mouthwash wrote:
Source of the post Is it theoretically possible for SE to have ringworlds or Dyson Spheres

A Dyson sphere.
A hollow world.
A kind of ringworld.
The attempt of another ringworld in the old forum (Niven's Ringworld, but it has a different name).

You can not land in the ringworlds and in the hollow world.

(My username is JackDole, not Jack Dole.)

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder

Ringworlds?

13 Apr 2018 12:59

Technically these sorts of things are in the to-do list, but they are for a much later time 
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

Ringworlds?

14 Apr 2018 02:34

Technically it is not complex - just change the equations which morphs the cube (basic geometry of the terrain engine) into inverse sphere, or into a ring (throw out north and south faces of the cube, and "circularize" the rest). There are two problems though. First, we have to add a second non-inverse terrain which will cover the outside, add some static geometry to represent borders/engines/whatever. And the most important problem: atmosphere. Brunetone's code is designed for a spherical planet, I don't know if it is possible to adapt it to the ring. Yes I saw his Rama demo, but it seems filled with the air uniformly, while ringworld have a vacuum in the center.