Ultimate space simulation software

evildrganymede
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Topic Author

Could we get a better Star Browser please?

21 Jan 2018 18:11

I'm not sure if this is already on the cards for the next version but the current star browser in 0.9.8.0 is rather limited. I wanted to search for stars that had White dwarf companions but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that? (I can search for binary systems with WD primaries, but not specify them as companions). Is there any other way to do that at all? It seems odd to be able to search for specific planets (by type) orbiting primary stars, but not be able to search for companion stars. 

Are there any plans to improve the search parameters here? Could we at least have the ability to search by size and spectral type and star mass for both primaries and companions or something? (we have size and type for primaries at least, but nothing for companions).
Last edited by evildrganymede on 21 Jan 2018 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

problemecium
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

21 Jan 2018 18:52

If I might tack on a bit, it'd also be totally sweet if we had a "Galaxy Browser" window with the same basic functionality for nearby galaxies.
As an example use case, I like the way some of the Sa galaxies look, with the white center and black dust lane, and I like small galaxies where it's easier to keep track of which stars are where, but it's hard to find small galaxies by eye. With a Galaxy Browser, I could just filter by shape and easily find a good galaxy in which to browse for stars and planets.
ᴩʀoʙʟᴇᴍᴇᴄɪᴜᴍ﹖

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

22 Jan 2018 10:20

If I might tack on a bit, it'd also be totally sweet if we had a "Galaxy Browser" window with the same basic functionality for nearby galaxies.
As an example use case, I like the way some of the Sa galaxies look, with the white center and black dust lane, and I like small galaxies where it's easier to keep track of which stars are where, but it's hard to find small galaxies by eye. With a Galaxy Browser, I could just filter by shape and easily find a good galaxy in which to browse for stars and planets.
2nd that.
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

Himself
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

23 Jan 2018 18:13

I would be interested to see that too.  It would also be good to be able to browse stars without planets, including solitary black holes, neutron stars, and white dwarfs.