Ultimate space simulation software

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

How about 'Jovian' instead of 'Jupiter?'

17 Oct 2017 13:05

I was reading Blindsight recently and noticed that the term 'superJovian' was applied to a brown dwarf. Feels totally natural when I picture it in SE, plus it removes the awkwardness of using a planet name. Maybe Neptune-class could become 'Neptunian' to make things consistent, but Jovian seems strictly better than Jupiter.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

17 Oct 2017 15:44

It is not a noun, like terra and other classnames.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

18 Oct 2017 00:10

A different noun for Jupiter is Jove (Jupiter = father Jove).  The adjective in both cases is Jovian.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

18 Oct 2017 03:00

It is not a noun, like terra and other classnames.
But isn't legibility more important than consistency? Jovian is easily recognizable and doesn't bother me as a English speaker (maybe because it ends with 'an'). I think almost any other native speaker would agree.

Also, superJovian and epistellar Jovian are official astronomical terms. Thefreedictionary.com goes so far as to call it a noun.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

18 Oct 2017 05:57

Adjectives and particles can be used as nouns, but why superjovian over superjove?
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Proteus
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

18 Oct 2017 08:03

I've wondered why nobody has used "Jovia" as a noun form. It sounds a bit more complete than Jove.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

18 Oct 2017 08:59

Jovia sounds constructed and has connotation with "jovial" (so does jovian, in my opinion).
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

18 Oct 2017 13:01

I am very surprised that people aren't supporting this. No one knows what Jove means (plus it sounds ridiculous), and Jovia... well, it isn't worse than Selena but it's still a bit hard to parse. Jovian is a common word, fits perfectly as a term meaning 'like Jupiter,' isn't awkward on the tongue at all and is being used to refer to Jupiter-like planets in real life.

@SpaceEngineer, since you want to keep terminology consistent, I will point out that gas giant classes are already completely different from solid classes - the latter are named directly after materials, but the former use proper names as (essentially) metaphors. If you're trying to connect them to Jupiter or Neptune, why balk at using adjectives?

XBrain130
Explorer
Explorer

18 Oct 2017 13:38

why balk at using adjectives?
because it complicates things when translating to other languages
SpaceEngine's Italian Discord server: https://discord.gg/NhQbEbC

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

18 Oct 2017 14:00

Yes, Jovian has no translation to Russian. It even cannot be transliterated. Russian astronomy uses word "jupiter" for Jupiter-like planets (it simply "gas giant", "planet-giant"), or adjective that is a direct analogy of "jupiter-like".

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

18 Oct 2017 14:27

No one knows what Jove means
By Jove, what do you mean?

It's SpaceEngineer's privilege to pick these names, anyway. :)
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

18 Oct 2017 16:46

Yes, Jovian has no translation to Russian. It even cannot be transliterated. Russian astronomy uses word "jupiter" for Jupiter-like planets (it simply "gas giant", "planet-giant"), or adjective that is a direct analogy of "jupiter-like".
*Does* it need to be translated? It's not like you're using an official classification scheme here. Why not just pick the best word from each language?

Are you certain that every major language has direct translations for ferria and carbonia?

Speedademon
Astronaut
Astronaut

21 Oct 2017 12:14

We don't really have to care about translation problem. We already have hundreds of words in SE that doesn't have direct translation in Asian languages.
Hi I like fraid chikin

Destructor1701
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

21 Oct 2017 21:53

I support "jovian" as a generic term for Jupiter-class objects. Either that or a return to "gas giant" and "ice giant" - I don't understand why the new system changed those names as they were easily understood. Using "Jupiter" as a classification for worlds similar to Jupiter might work fine in Russian, but it comes over a little goofy in English, so I can see Mouthwash's point here.

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

22 Oct 2017 12:38

I for one am not a new fan of the new planetary class names. I think that adding the two new world types are awesome along with combining Oceania's and Ice Worlds and giving us oceanic compositions but I really dislike bunching Selena's, Deserts and Terra's into one class and the elimination of Titan class worlds. I'm also a fan of Gas Giant's and Ice Giants rather then Jupiter's and Neptune's. But this is just my opinion and I'm sure I could careless by the time the next version is released anyway.
My System.
ASrock B250 Motherboard, I7 7700, GTX 1080 8gb, 16 GB DDR4 2400 mhz