Ultimate space simulation software

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

20 Mar 2017 11:35

I've been using the edit button if I think of something that belongs in a post I've already made but what if I'm responding to multiple people or wanting to talk about a different thing in the same thread?
You mean "post", instead of "thread" right? :)
But if you want to respond to multiple people or something like that, please do it in the same post.
Now that I've seen the add on, should I install just one version of it or all of them?
One, i think bad stuff will happen if you use two or more at once.
 if I should only install one, which would you say is most scientifically accurate?
I don't know, but creator of the mod says it's the mars-like one.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

20 Mar 2017 11:39

Yes sorry about that.  I'll give an example.  Using the suggestions thread as an example, let's say (like earlier) I was wondering about a saturation slider but also wanting to ask if it's possible for exoplanets to be automatically updated.  Should I put them in the same post or different posts since they are about two different things (but both are suggestions so they belong in the same thread.)  Of course if I only think of the latter after someone has already made a new post after mine I should put it in a separate post, rather than going back to update an old post?

I just installed the Mars one after reading his thread :)  What will this do to the procedural planets that were already there, remove them or will this be in addition to them?  Thanks!

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

20 Mar 2017 11:42

Should I put them in the same post or different posts since they are about two different things (but both are suggestions so they belong in the same thread.)  
 Same post.
Of course if I only think of the latter after someone has already made a new post after mine I should put it in a separate post, rather than going back to update an old post?
In my opinion, separate post. :)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

20 Mar 2017 12:15

I agree- to avoid confusion.  I like having things in chronological order.  Back to a question I asked earlier is there any way for me to convert the starry night exoplanet.txt update file to a usable format for SE so the program can be regularly updated?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Mar 2017 12:34

A-L-E-X, the problem with your questions is that there are too many in a same post, regarding different topics :)
It becomes difficult to trace potential answers. Being off-topic, you will end with some questions unanswered.
Dividing into different topics helps people with questions and people who potentially have an answer.
 Still, as I'm looking at the SNPP program folder, it updates exoplanets, comets, asteroids and satellites in .txt file format.  Is there any way for me to use these .txt files (specifically the exoplanet.txt file, as I really don't keep track of the other stuff that gets updated) to update exoplanets in SE?
Most probably not by using it directly
Do I need to change the format to something else in order to be able to do it?  I assume the program will automatically pick the type of planet displayed and its texture based on exoplanet class (which is listed in the .txt file.)
You need to convert it in a script file, check the manual section of the website.
SNPP 7 came out in 2014, were there only 1,800 discovered exoplanets at that point, or were they leaving some out?
That's about right for 2014:
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

20 Mar 2017 21:52

Thanks for the graph, I take it we'll be playing catch up for many years to come.  This reminds me of when new particles started to be discovered and there was a huge rush to begin classifying them.  Would a script file enable me to make textures for them much more easily as well as 3D modeling of their orbits?

Any idea of whether the next version of SE will incorporate the proper motion of stars as well as the orbital motion and periods for multiple stars and exoplanets?  So we can model the past and future of the universe as well as see how the ancients saw the stars and how our descendants will see them- including precession of the axis?

What about the B-V color scale and the H-R diagram?  Thanks!

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

21 Mar 2017 04:43

Any idea of whether the next version of SE will incorporate the proper motion of stars as well as the orbital motion and periods for multiple stars and exoplanets?  So we can model the past and future of the universe as well as see how the ancients saw the stars and how our descendants will see them- including precession of the axis?
If you mean stellar motion though the galaxy, it is in the TODO list, under the stars category. However, it is uncertain that it is possible, at least according to the TODO list.

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

22 Mar 2017 18:02

Is it possible to make larger galaxies more dense with stars? Most stars in IC 1101 are hundreds of LY apart. Is there a reason why it's not more dense? (Star limit maybe?)
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

22 Mar 2017 19:53

Found a cool volumetric rendering thing

Btw is elements/materials effecting the appearance of planets planned?

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

23 Mar 2017 08:54

Is it possible to make larger galaxies more dense with stars? Most stars in IC 1101 are hundreds of LY apart. Is there a reason why it's not more dense?
Probably something to avoid old computers from crashing.
Kinda like Omega Centauri i think, estimated to have 10 million stars, yet SE tells me 1 million. 

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer

24 Mar 2017 07:59

How about a 3D grid, multi-level, to help visualise scale?
i9 9900K - 5.0MHz, Palit 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, Vive Pro

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Mar 2017 08:58

Is it possible to make larger galaxies more dense with stars? Most stars in IC 1101 are hundreds of LY apart. Is there a reason why it's not more dense? (Star limit maybe?)
I remember SpaceEngineer or someone else explaining why is not possible with the actual engine, but I can't find the post here or in the old forum.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

24 Mar 2017 11:18

Like this?
m f1 thing.png
Press "M" while having a object selected, and this will happen.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

25 Mar 2017 13:56

If you mean stellar motion though the galaxy, it is in the TODO list, under the stars category. However, it is uncertain that it is possible, at least according to the TODO list.
It should be possible as Starry Night and Stellarium both advertise being able to see what the constellations looked like millions of years ago and millions of years in the future.

Speaking of old computers, I have one and I was looking to upgrade what I have but I saw my motherboard does not work with any video card above PCI-e 2.0

Right now I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2 GB DDR2-667 memory, 640 MB Geforce 8800 GTS 112 SP graphics card.  I set my computer to allocate 2 GB for video memory (640 MB from the video card and the rest from RAM.)  I am using XP Home x32 which does not use much RAM so I allocated most of my RAM for SE.  I run SE in a 1024x768 window so that should hopefully minimize its video memory usage

2 GB RAM is the most this motherboard will allow, however there is a bios hack that will allow it to take up to 4 GB RAM (but only 3.3 GB will be usable, even if I install a 64 bit OS.)

The two upgrades I am considering are:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

EVGA GeForce GT 730 DirectX 12 04G-P3-2739-KR 4GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Video Card

4GB 128-Bit DDR3

Core Clock 700 MHz

2 x DVI-I 1 x mini HDMI

PCI Express 2.0

I want the dual DVI ports since I run two monitors.

The other upgrade is

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664AA667

DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
Cas Latency 5
Voltage 1.8V

Should I do one or both upgrades, considering I will be limited by the motherboard to 3.3 GB RAM even if I go from 2 GB to 4 GB?  Also should I do the upgrade from the 640 MB graphics card to the 4 GB graphics card even though the 4 GB graphics card is slower?  See this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu ... ,4388.html

On this hierarchy chart, it's 3 levels below my current graphics card, and my current card isn't the standard one, it's the SSC version with 112 shader processors, instead of 96, and performs more like an 8800 GTX (5 levels above the 4 GB card.)  Problem is this motherboard is a PCI-e 4x board so the graphics slot might be the bottleneck anyway and the motherboard doesn't support anything higher than PCI-e 2.0  I am considering the two upgrades though because they are relatively inexpensive and I already bought a 2 GB hard drive and a copy of Windows 10 32bit/64bit Home.  I'm not having any issues running the program in a 1024x768 window, however the program hangs upon closing and I have to kill the process in the task manager to close it (or tell Windows to close it in the pop up window.)  I also worry that future editions of SE will have higher requirements- is there any news about that or will the current requirements to run SE hold for foreseeable future versions?  I noticed that the video memory and RAM requirements have gotten higher with more recent versions.  The other thing is I noticed via EVGA Precision that SE uses over 95% of my graphics card, is that dangerous to the long term health of the card and will it shorten its life?  Would that be just as bad with the new card, should I get it?
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 25 Mar 2017 20:16, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer

25 Mar 2017 14:33

Like this?m f1 thing.png
Press "M" while having a object selected, and this will happen.
No I was thinking something more like this:
i9 9900K - 5.0MHz, Palit 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, Vive Pro