Ultimate space simulation software

SpaceSpade
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

11 Mar 2020 01:30

'Sup. I want to offer an idea, which would help in creation of procedural textures for giant planets. For that we need to simply introduce a new system of cloud pallet coloration. It is simple, just like in US2 you will need to color every cloud stripe zone yourself. No, I don't want this pallet coloration system to be the only, the old one would remain as well for procedural objects. The new system would be for users mostly, because what if the one wants to create a giant planet with clouds in the colours of rainbow? Also I want for SE to use different cyclone shapes: triangular, like on Jupiter, and more or less circular for mini-neptunes. 

SpaceSpade
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

16 Mar 2020 07:27

Also, I have an idea about adding asteroid belts. I even have a certain script scheme:

AsteroidBelt (or AsterBelt) "Name"
{
     ParentBody "Parent's name"
     InnerRadius                            // Inner radius given in AU.
     OuterRadius                           // Outer radius given in AU.
     AsterFreq                               // Frequency of points, around which asteroids are generated.
     AsterDensity                          // How many asteroids are generated around each point.
     ERing                       // A ring of space where asteroids are not generated (ERing means emptiness ring). There can be several emptiness rings.
     {
           ERingSemiMajorAxis                                         // A distance from the parent object, at which the emptiness ring is placed. Distance given in AU.
           InnerRadius
           OuterRadius
           // The inner and outer radii of emptiness rings given in AU.
     }
}

It is also possible to present the asteroid belt as a script tag for its parent object (everything is the same except the absence of information about the parent body).

RemyZeno
Observer
Observer

18 Mar 2020 05:24

Hi!

Is there a way to switch between two main-user.cfg files via hotkey?

Best wishes
Remy

SpaceSpade
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

22 Mar 2020 12:06

And also, I noticed that when clouds have negative velocities, the spinning direction of clouds doesn't change, they just spin backwards. I think this needs to be fixed in later versions, because this would also help in creating procedural cloud textures (textures for Venus for example).

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Mar 2020 06:10

SpaceSpade wrote:
And also, I noticed that when clouds have negative velocities, the spinning direction of clouds doesn't change, they just spin backwards. I think this needs to be fixed in later versions, because this would also help in creating procedural cloud textures (textures for Venus for example).

maybe we can have tornadoes in future versions with lightning!

tavotrio
Observer
Observer

28 Mar 2020 03:37

This video is pretty recent so I guess many didn't saw it.
It's about rendering in a fast and flawless way real looking wormholes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVO8nvb1o2w

Here is the results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7e-1bRpweo

longname
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

31 Mar 2020 11:37

Less ugly fonts, please
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

SpaceSpade
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

03 Apr 2020 03:15

I have an idea about how to find out, whether the planet is terra or neptune,  we need to know the minimal and maximal heights of the planet's highlands/continents, then we need to know the pressure and temperature at the surface to know if they allow SCF to exist or not,  if they allow, then we need to know the height, at which SCF stops existing. Then we compare maximal height of planet's highlands and height, at which SCF stops existing. And if the height, at which SCF stops existing, is bigger than the height of the planet's highest highland, then it is a mini-neptune. (P.S.: for that we need surface rendered on some neptunes).
Last edited by SpaceSpade on 07 Apr 2020 02:48, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceSpade
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

07 Apr 2020 02:40

Also, I don't really like the thing about neptune class itself. I'd like to offer to divide this class into new ones or at least to create subclasses within this class by using special adjectives. The reason of this is that neptunes in SE have only one common feature: thick atmosphere and global SCF oceans beneath. All the planets in this class have many differences between each other, including internal composition differences.

THE NEW CLASSES REPLACING THE OLD NEPTUNE ONE

Neptune - a planet with hydrogen/helium extended layer (up to 25% of the mass), which is followed by icy envelope.
Hyperbaria/Hadea/Conservatoria (lat. conservatorium - greenhouse) - a replacement for hot (sometimes warm) neptunes with very deep and not so deep (of course always global) volatile SCF ocean (on some planets like Kepler-10 b and CoRoT-7 c it is not shown but is still there) and with no hydrogen/helium extended layer. Such planets are the results of the runaway greenhouse effect occuring on aquarias.

ALTERNATE CLASSIFICATION WHERE NEPTUNE CLASS REMAINS BUT IT IS DIVIDED INTO THREE SUBCLASSES

Volatile neptunes - planets with not so deep global icy SCF oceans (oceans with rocky or carbide bottom) and with no hydrogen/helium extended layers. Oceanic aquarias in the past.
Supervolatile neptunes - superoceanic aquarias, which in past experienced a runaway greenhouse effect and because of that gained a deep icy  SCF ocean with high pressure ice forms at the bottom.
Hydrogenic/common/regular neptune - planet analogous to Uranus and Neptune.
Last edited by SpaceSpade on 10 Apr 2020 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

whatspeedlimit
Observer
Observer

08 Apr 2020 09:28

(Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum...)

Only a small thing, but planet 'HD189733 b' should be changed to blue...? (It appears a dull orange in S.E.)

Just read up on this.  Has an attractive deep azure blue hue, caused by clouds laced with silicate particles.  Also has scorching surface temperature of 1000 degrees C, and it rains glass... sideways... in 7,000kmph winds.

Source: https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/rain ... hd-189733b
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23275607

SpaceSpade
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

09 Apr 2020 00:06

That's just because in the script files of all object catalogues (located in Catalogs.pak) there is only basic information given (for planets these are: name, parent star, mass, sometimes radius, orbit parameters and rings' inner and outer radii).

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

09 Apr 2020 03:10

whatspeedlimit wrote:
Source of the post Only a small thing, but planet 'HD189733 b' should be changed to blue...? (It appears a dull orange in S.E.)

For me 'HD 189733 b' is blue. It only appears 'orange' because the planet is so close to its sun.
scr00824.jpg
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

SpaceSpade
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

09 Apr 2020 05:16

I'm sorry, like really sorry, but I would like to know opinion about my asteroid belt, cloud map and neptune classification suggestions.

whatspeedlimit
Observer
Observer

09 Apr 2020 08:16

Jack.. take your point about the blue.  Might have to go back, land on it and take a closer look :)

SpaceSpade - SE uses accepted 'generic' classifications which keeps things fairly simple for a majority (including me).  To be honest I quite like it that way, and if I am seeking more detailed information it is usually available under the bodies information section.  That said, David Russell, Owego New York wrote an interesting paper on Classifications of Planets based on scale and geophysical composition which comprises of some 19 or so classifications which include 'Icy Rock', 'Silicate Rock', 'Metallic Rock' and so on.  Guessing an algorithm for SE to work out these classifications wouldn't be too hard to incorporate, and perhaps include these as a third option under the classifications options of SE?  Whether it would be of use to (or used by) the majority or not would be another matter of course.  
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1308/1308.0616.pdf

SpaceSpade
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

09 Apr 2020 11:55

It is understood that the majority likes everything to be simple and clear, but all in all, this is science and it can't be without difficulties. And if my suggestion about neptune class division would ever be accepted, it wouldn't make things really complicated. We would just fully separate neptune class into planets similar to our Neptune and into planets with hot supercritical fluid global ocean. That won't cause a huge misunderstanding. Plus SE could have some additional tutorial telling about every planet/star class.