Page 79 of 79

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 13 Aug 2019 09:35
by N0B0DY
In the main SE menu you can only navigate with the mouse. While this is obvious we should also have the option to navigate with the arrow (and tab) keys and select with the enter key. Yes everyone has a mouse nowadays but this is standard functionality in many if not most apps and OSs.

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 14 Aug 2019 05:41
by longname
N0B0DY wrote:
In the main SE menu you can only navigate with the mouse. While this is obvious we should also have the option to navigate with the arrow (and tab) keys and select with the enter key. Yes everyone has a mouse nowadays but this is standard functionality in many if not most apps and OSs.

This would be helpful for when the mouse cursor decides it's going to keep moving itself to the corner of the room because I alt+tabbed out of the sim.

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 20 Aug 2019 08:34
by Vorpal Sword
A thing I've noticed with SE 0.990 is that SE doesn't consider critical points of liquids when generating oceans. For example, oceans of liquid CO2 seem to be relatively common, but often occur in conditions where CO2 would in reality be a supercritical fluid rather than a liquid (which for CO2 is above 31.10 °C temperature and 72.9 atm pressure). It's not a huge issue but does reduce the scientific accuracy of procedurally generated objects.

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 21 Aug 2019 05:36
by A-L-E-X
FastFourierTransform wrote:
supreme_marshal wrote:
Source of the post There is something important and abundant in the universe missing in space engine. It's newborn solar system!

Space Engine needs to develope a good ray-tracing algorithm to make this realistic enought since protoplanetary disks are extremely complex objects that shadow themselves in different regions and oclude light in complex ways. Also Space Engine needs for its algorithms to be millisecond-quick to make the user experience everything in real time, so this is probably a long way until we get to see those.
But even then,SpaceEngineer has been working on that (even if it didn't made to the last release) with a lot of progress by now
Image

to do this properly, we need to simulate collision physics properly as well as such things as the formation of rings.

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 30 Aug 2019 19:56
by PlutonianEmpire
Since it's planned for Steam to analyze SE base files and punish the user for manipulating the data folder, I think it should be possible to add an option to the music player to mute, blacklist, or suppress songs we don't like, so we don't have to delete it from the data->music folder. :)

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 31 Aug 2019 06:16
by longname
PlutonianEmpire wrote:
Source of the post Since it's planned for Steam to analyze SE base files and punish the user for manipulating the data folder

What's the point?

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 31 Aug 2019 14:11
by Mosfet
I don't know where "punish the user" came from, but as it's mentioned also in manual, data folders contain distributed default content, from a developing/troubleshooting point of view it makes sense leaving that content untouched and using addons folders instead, as much as possible. Some sort of checksum control is then fairly common.

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 31 Aug 2019 23:41
by JackDole
Mosfet wrote:
Source of the post I don't know where "punish the user" came from,

Perhaps from this:
( http://spaceengine.org/manual/making-ad ... roduction/ )

8) Never touch the default pak files

Just like in all other games, changing the default game resources is a bad idea. In the future, the game client will check the default files for changes and will kick you from the server if it finds that the default files have been changed. So remember these simple rules:
1) If you want to add something, create your own pak file (or simply store files in the folders, non-packed).
2) If you want to modify something, extract the file from the default pak and modify the extracted file.

But this only applies to the .pak files, not to the 'data' folder.

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 02 Sep 2019 11:38
by A-L-E-X
Is there a way to add new music?  I want to add some of John Williams themes, like the one for Superman.

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 02 Sep 2019 12:43
by longname
A-L-E-X wrote:
Is there a way to add new music?  I want to add some of John Williams themes, like the one for Superman.

Addons > New Folder, call it something related to the music > Call this folder "music" without the punctuation and without capital letters > Drop the .ogg files here.

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 02 Sep 2019 21:35
by PlutonianEmpire
JackDole wrote:
Mosfet wrote:
Source of the post I don't know where "punish the user" came from,

Perhaps from this:
( http://spaceengine.org/manual/making-ad ... roduction/ )

8) Never touch the default pak files

Just like in all other games, changing the default game resources is a bad idea. In the future, the game client will check the default files for changes and will kick you from the server if it finds that the default files have been changed. So remember these simple rules:
1) If you want to add something, create your own pak file (or simply store files in the folders, non-packed).
2) If you want to modify something, extract the file from the default pak and modify the extracted file.

But this only applies to the .pak files, not to the 'data' folder.

I misinterpreted it then. Thanks. :)

Edit: Suggestive question: Would it be possible to have "high" and "low" modes for the terrain detail? Like, using 0.990+ terrain detail for High Mode, and 0.980 terrain detail for Low Mode, to reduce terrain blurryness for slower computers?

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 18 Sep 2019 11:51
by Corbinpasta93
Even better looking black holes from the Black Hole Flight Simulator. https://youtu.be/4LHYUt9hGQc

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 19 Sep 2019 07:47
by Salvo
Corbinpasta93 wrote:
Even better looking black holes from the Black Hole Flight Simulator. https://youtu.be/4LHYUt9hGQc

Actually Space Engine's black holes are better than those  ;)

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 19 Sep 2019 14:54
by longname
Salvo wrote:
Corbinpasta93 wrote:
Even better looking black holes from the Black Hole Flight Simulator. https://youtu.be/4LHYUt9hGQc

Actually Space Engine's black holes are better than those  ;)

lmao

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

Posted: 20 Sep 2019 11:44
by Raven
May we have elevator trim please?