Ultimate space simulation software

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

16 Jan 2017 05:18

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Why not just get one of the many astronaut mods?  I can always reupload the Astronauts for 0.9.8.

Link?

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

16 Jan 2017 06:21

I will look into uploading some astronauts soon, will PM you when I get them added to my mod thread.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

16 Jan 2017 07:32

StarStuff wrote:
Source of the post I've been playing the game with the "Game Mode" a lot recently, and I have a suggestion. Would it be possible to make a landed spacecraft more "fixed" to the surface? Currently they keep their current orientation while the planet is rotating, as if they were still in orbit*. Also they seem to move a bit (also vertically) if they are approached when the terrain is not fully loaded yet.

It's very hard to implement. Better physics system for a ships required. This will not be in the coming update (which is focused on Steam, VR and scripts).

Andromeda wrote:
Source of the post 1) Asteroid/comet surfaces need to be more realistic and varied (real pics attached).
2) For gas giants with a lot of moons sometimes what happens is there is a low-inclination group of moons and then a larger halo of dwarf moons. The strange thing is the semimajor axes of the moons in this halo are almost exactly the same.

This is exist already.

Andromeda wrote:
Source of the post3) Procedural galaxy sizes shouldn't cap at 100 kpc. 
4) Procedural globular clusters need to be brighter and have more stars.
5) Nebulae are small (<40ly) and never have an associated open cluster.
6) Almost all procedural irregular galaxies look the same.

All these are limitation of the current version of the engine. Nebuale and probably galaxy rendering will be changed to raymarching in the next update.

Heath wrote:
Source of the post I just have one small and minor suggestion that is not already in the game, but there needs to be a way that when you are looking at the line up of planets when you click on "Planetary System" to the left, to be able to right click on the planet/moon/etc you are wanting to go go and click "Go to Object" because as it is right now, you have to left click physically on the object and then right click. I just would like it where you can right click on the planet/moon/etc that you want from that menu and go to it instead of having to find it 1st and then be able to say "go to object"

Do you mean something like this? Already implemented :)
scr00188.jpg

spaceguy wrote:
Source of the post The doppler shift of the accretion disk is absent.

Gravitational redshift is visible only very close to the event horizon. Doppler redshift is clearly visible if you look at the accretion disk from the side and adjust its exposure.

spaceguy wrote:
Source of the post EDIT: Different rotation rate throughout the accretion disk is also absent. 

LOL and this is also present. Look carefully.

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

16 Jan 2017 07:48

Add the planet 9 related objects and new objects into SE?

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

16 Jan 2017 08:08

Starlight Glimmer wrote:

Until it is proven, it won't be officially added
Starlight Glimmer wrote:
Source of the post new objects into SE?

As new objects are found and catalogs are updated they will be added, not really required to suggest such things.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

16 Jan 2017 08:30

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post     Starlight Glimmer wrote:
   Add the planet 9 related objects

Until it is proven, it won't be officially added

I think Starlight Glimmer means these objects and these.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

16 Jan 2017 08:43

JackDole wrote:
Source of the post I think Starlight Glimmer means these objects and these.

That was why i included the second part regarding new objects. :)   Just wanted to make a note regarding the potential Planet Nine in regards to them, probably should have pointed that out

Anyone can add them and they will all get added officially eventually.

Voubi
Observer
Observer

16 Jan 2017 16:13

First, I would like to give a big "Good Job" to SpaceEngineer for what is probably one of the best softs ever created,
Secondly, because this is still a suggestion thread, I think that the few things that i'm the most eager to see added to SpaceEngine would be:
-Raytraced Shadows (yeah, would absolutely love that one)
-Volumetric (or raymarched, as you wish) clouds (like in the RESET demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnmWuCtxKw8&t=193s)
-GodRays (or light shafts) in an atmosphere (and maybe in very dense nebulas)
-Inline ship Editor
-Ship model/texture animations (rotating parts, landing gears, light switching on and off)
-Ingame Screenshot gallery (with location in space a time of each screenshot, with the ability to use these as bookmarks)
-Solar flares (maybe volumetric/raymarched)
-and, finally, some sort of auto mode, where the game just jumps from one body to another, endlessly (i think that this had already been suggested on the old Forum)...

Anyway, still waiting impatiently for the next release, but please, take your time, take any time you need...
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known..."
-Carl Sagan

scalbers
Observer
Observer

16 Jan 2017 16:30

Greetings, here are some examples of raytraced sun/god rays and crepuscular rays to consider. This includes ray-marched clouds from a model analyzing actual 3-D cloud data. 

http://stevealbers.net/albers/allsky/outerspace.html

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

17 Jan 2017 11:57

SpaceEngineer wrote:
StarStuff wrote:
Source of the post I've been playing the game with the "Game Mode" a lot recently, and I have a suggestion. Would it be possible to make a landed spacecraft more "fixed" to the surface? Currently they keep their current orientation while the planet is rotating, as if they were still in orbit*. Also they seem to move a bit (also vertically) if they are approached when the terrain is not fully loaded yet.

It's very hard to implement. Better physics system for a ships required. This will not be in the coming update (which is focused on Steam, VR and scripts).

Andromeda wrote:
Source of the post 1) Asteroid/comet surfaces need to be more realistic and varied (real pics attached).
2) For gas giants with a lot of moons sometimes what happens is there is a low-inclination group of moons and then a larger halo of dwarf moons. The strange thing is the semimajor axes of the moons in this halo are almost exactly the same.

This is exist already.

Andromeda wrote:
Source of the post3) Procedural galaxy sizes shouldn't cap at 100 kpc. 
4) Procedural globular clusters need to be brighter and have more stars.
5) Nebulae are small (<40ly) and never have an associated open cluster.
6) Almost all procedural irregular galaxies look the same.

All these are limitation of the current version of the engine. Nebuale and probably galaxy rendering will be changed to raymarching in the next update.

Heath wrote:
Source of the post I just have one small and minor suggestion that is not already in the game, but there needs to be a way that when you are looking at the line up of planets when you click on "Planetary System" to the left, to be able to right click on the planet/moon/etc you are wanting to go go and click "Go to Object" because as it is right now, you have to left click physically on the object and then right click. I just would like it where you can right click on the planet/moon/etc that you want from that menu and go to it instead of having to find it 1st and then be able to say "go to object"

Do you mean something like this? Already implemented :)
scr00188.jpg

spaceguy wrote:
Source of the post The doppler shift of the accretion disk is absent.

Gravitational redshift is visible only very close to the event horizon. Doppler redshift is clearly visible if you look at the accretion disk from the side and adjust its exposure.

spaceguy wrote:
Source of the post EDIT: Different rotation rate throughout the accretion disk is also absent. 

LOL and this is also present. Look carefully.

spaceguy:Accretion disks are missing some optical effects, i.e doppler and gravitational shifts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xmRexyHA-k
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//ful ... 4.000.html

EDIT: LOL I'm blind, they are present it's just hard to see unless you look carefully.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

19 Jan 2017 00:52

Voubi wrote:
Source of the post -Ingame Screenshot gallery (with location in space a time of each screenshot, with the ability to use these as bookmarks)

This is exactly what I plan to implement soon. The rest was planned before (see TODO).

scalbers
Observer
Observer

22 Jan 2017 09:51

scalbers wrote:
Greetings, here are some examples of raytraced sun/god rays and crepuscular rays to consider. This includes ray-marched clouds from a model analyzing actual 3-D cloud data. 

http://stevealbers.net/albers/allsky/outerspace.html

Here are a couple of updated images on how this looks at twilight from 120km and 400km up (the space station altitude):

3.jpg

4.jpg

Animations are at the link above.

reygiss
Observer
Observer

22 Jan 2017 14:25

cool implementation will solar eruption, it should be possible with aleatory algorithm. It can be done with all stars.

reygiss
Observer
Observer

22 Jan 2017 14:28

Another one will be constellations. It should be possible, like for orbital, to connect stars from a constellation. it could be too cool to look at the stars of a constellation but you have to know all the names. With them connected it will easier, you can even go from point to point to follow the constellation.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

22 Jan 2017 15:59

reygiss wrote:
Source of the post cool implementation will solar eruption

reygiss wrote:
Source of the post Another one will be constellations

Already in the TODO list
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |