Ultimate space simulation software

keerah
Observer
Observer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

20 Feb 2018 08:06

Hi SE devs and fans.
Yesterday I had an amazing jorney with SE and my old Oculus, and instantly I found some bugs:

1. Lens Flares turn on and off for each eye differently, this is very bad for a viewer. They also come in just one frame, that's too harsh, in reality a flare starts appearing even when the light source is still off the screen.

2. Capturing video in Oculus mode with "No interface" ON still captures the interface baked in. Couldnt captrure to AVI at all, just sequence worked for me.

3. Some not nice problem with Motion Blur. When I increase time speed to high values, the glowing planets turn into white lines (which are twitchy/glitchy). With MB off this goes away. Same problem happens when I make the Stereo Base veeeeery wide, all stars turns into stretched lines, the wider the Base, the longer these lines are.
[img]https://3.downloader.disk.yandex.ru/pre ... e=1280x692[/img]

4. Lots of troubles with setting up controls for Space Navigator, axis selection s almost random, so I had to edit config file to change the things.

And the last one is not a bug, but suggestion. Does or will SE use multi GPUs?

Thanks for the amazing work

Huntingknight
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

23 Feb 2018 19:59

I think it would be awesome if we would be able to "crack" a planet open to look at its core and such if possible.Image

lukewarmsoda
Observer
Observer

25 Feb 2018 15:06

Found a cool planet shader, I don't know if it would be useful.

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4tjGRh

Frank
Observer
Observer

25 Feb 2018 15:47

I think there should be more support for people, like me, with borderline performance computers. My computer crashes whenever I go to a procedural planet but for my needs, that's OK. I can still get a lot out of what I can do until I eventually I get the better desktop. I think now too many just give up on the program because their desktop can't take advantage of every bell and whistle.

Also, I just joined yesterday and can't start a thread. Is there some kind of waiting period or something.

Cesare
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

25 Feb 2018 22:49

I really like that image of the Earth's layers and its core.
Cesare Vesdani

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 Feb 2018 02:39

I think now too many just give up on the program because their desktop can't take advantage of every bell and whistle.

Also, I just joined yesterday and can't start a thread. Is there some kind of waiting period or something.
It's a fair assumption. SpaceEngine relies heavily on graphic card capabilities, by design.
Yes, there are requirements to meet for being able to start a new thread, a good start with tips and some explanations is the Forum rules page.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Frank
Observer
Observer

26 Feb 2018 18:53

[quote="Mosfet"][quote="Frank"][post]18892[/post]  I think now too many just give up on the program because their desktop can't take advantage of every bell and whistle.

Also, I just joined yesterday and can't start a thread. Is there some kind of waiting period or something.[/quote]
It's a fair assumption. SpaceEngine relies heavily on graphic card capabilities, by design.
Yes, there are requirements to meet for being able to start a new thread, a good start with tips and some explanations is the [url=http://forum.spaceengine.org/app.php/page/forum-rules]Forum rules[/url] page.[/quote]

After a lot of trial and error, I solved my own problem so I don't need to start a thread. There really should be a subforum for this subject though. But, it's not my app so if there are a lot of people who blow it off when they could be making spectacular use of it like I will be going forward . . . oh well.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Feb 2018 01:55

There is indeed a troubleshooting and bugs thread where you can submit description of issues, program logs, ask for help. There are links to that thread in forum rules page and in the FAQ/manual page of the website.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Frank
Observer
Observer

27 Feb 2018 07:10

[quote="Mosfet"]There is indeed a troubleshooting and bugs thread where you can submit description of issues, program logs, ask for help. There are links to that thread in forum rules page and in the FAQ/manual page of the website.[/quote]

Thanks for getting back to me. If all goes well, and I think it will, I'll be able to do everything I need to do without. My solution was in text hacking the Solarsys. cs file and that has worked very effectively. I did read a lot of the suggestions on optimizing performance and that did help but my box just won't handle the procedural textures so I had to work around that and create an exoplanet system with the text changes. Thank you very, very much for this fine program but I do think there are other ways of getting the most possible out of SE short of having a really powerful computer/graphics card.

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

01 Mar 2018 12:24

Perhaps these are already implemented and done so well that I don't even notice but it would be nice to see more rainbows, solar halos, solar glories, mirages, afterglows, coronas, sun dogs, and the use of crepuscular rays, all based on atmospheric molecular content.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

02 Mar 2018 19:21

Perhaps these are already implemented and done so well that I don't even notice but it would be nice to see more rainbows, solar halos, solar glories, mirages, afterglows, coronas, sun dogs, and the use of crepuscular rays, all based on atmospheric molecular content.
Space Engine does not have advance lighting physics so maybe, this update is fairly large.  ;)

AiDeeSiS
Observer
Observer

06 Mar 2018 07:40

Hello, I have a suggestion about the o[size=100]bservation wavelength.[/size]
[size=100]You know that we can observe the universe in different wavelengths, like we found pulsar in X-ray telescopes.[/size]
[size=100]May be one day we can get different view of universe with different wavelength?[/size]
So can you make the observation wavelength modifiable in settings in further update?

SWift-E62
Observer
Observer

18 Mar 2018 09:26

First off - new user, first post. Absolutely LOVE SpaceEngine and can't wait for the next update.

I do have a suggestion for when the user "lands" on a planet surface. Since these are alien worlds and there are many surface features that give a suggestion of scale and distance I propose a "laser rangefinder" cursor tool. Move the cursor over terrain features and it would give a distance measurement to that point. That way, if you aren't using VR you have a way to interpret depth and distance. Currently, if you stand on a planet's surface it's hard to tell how close anything is to you. Even if its only a couple of meters.

Thoughts?

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

20 Mar 2018 13:23

a "laser rangefinder" cursor tool. Move the cursor over terrain features and it would give a distance measurement to that point
good idea! like in outerra...

SWift-E62
Observer
Observer

25 Mar 2018 10:11

Was just playing around and had another thought. How about decoupling tracking and centering? Currently if you have a object off-center and the select T to track it, the object moves to the center of the screen. Just like if you selected C to center the object. I'd like to be able to track an object without it being in the center of the screen. So if I selected T the object would stay off-center, but I'd still be tracking it. That way you could more easily orbit objects off center.