Ultimate space simulation software

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

01 Jun 2021 06:09

A-L-E-X, I banned the spambot and deleted those posts because they were quoting your own posts from 2020.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

01 Jun 2021 20:00

Thanks!  It's hard for me to tell who's spam from who isn't, unless we just go by low number of posts.  I see we've got a lot of people with just 1-2 posts, I wonder if they're all spam?

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

02 Jun 2021 19:57

Have every real Earth satellite, space telescope, manned space capsule, space station, and space probe be included. Also, have the entire life cycle of the Solar System, from protostar to white dwarf, be simulated. Special points of interest include the formation of the Moon, continental drift on Earth, and the final destruction of the Solar System as the Sun ages into a red giant.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

05 Jun 2021 01:27

Autopilot for aviation mode!  This should be fairly easy to accomplish.  I like making long 12 hour videos and while this is easy to do in space flight mode (you just have to calculate speed and distance to your destination and just let it run) it can't be done during planetary fly overs because you tend to crash on the surface or fly off into space if you're not constantly adjusting the controls and I am NOT going to be sitting at my computer for 12 hours lol.  There should be an autopilot mode that maintains a specific distance above the surface of a planet or moon while flying over it so that up to 12 hour videos can be made capturing planetary landscapes and day/night transitions.

In addition to that something else that should be fairly easy to do is a directional compass for when flying over planets and moons.

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

19 Jun 2021 07:38

Askaniy's True Color Tools should be implemented to make all Solar System objects be recolored to have their "actual" colors.

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

21 Jun 2021 05:24

Sorry if this has been suggested before - its an old one:
While controlling a ship on the left-hand top side of the screen where the details of the selected object is shown, in this case the ship's details, the nearest body is actually the gravitational influence body. So it should say Influence body as on the top right hand side where the orbital elements are shown. In addition a nearest body indicator could also be displayed for e.g. directly bellow or above the influence body, which would indicate the actual nearest body to the user's controlled ship. Its not a big deal but its been around for a few years now and since SE aims for scientific accuracy I think it could be a nice little tiny fix :):
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

28 Jun 2021 19:44

There should be a timelapse feature to show the full evolution of the Solar System from protostar to white dwarf, complete with continental drift on Earth.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

04 Jul 2021 11:47

There should be a timelapse feature to show the full evolution of the Solar System from protostar to white dwarf, complete with continental drift on Earth.
Your posts are beginning to lean into spam. Vlad himself wants this one day himself, you don't need to keep repeating that you want these things in SE.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

04 Jul 2021 18:55

Do you think the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram will ever be incorporated into this software? Or even a feature where we actually get to see what the planets' interiors look like?

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

05 Jul 2021 10:03

Do you think the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram will ever be incorporated into this software?
Maybe. We don't know.
Or even a feature where we actually get to see what the planets' interiors look like?
Relatively pointless.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

RandomCanadian
Observer
Observer

05 Jul 2021 13:12

Your posts are beginning to lean into spam. Vlad himself wants this one day himself, you don't need to keep repeating that you want these things in SE.
A much more useful feature would be if this accurately reflected stellar characteristics as a function of age, mass and metallicity (this last thing doesn't appear to be simulated at all). There are likely plenty of easily accessible papers on the subject. An up-to-date model (starting at the pre-MS stage) appears to be hosted up on the site of the Université de Genève (there are capabilities to manually interpolate between known evolutionary tracks). I don't know if they'd be willing to share their code, though.
A more accessible route might be via the code presented in Hurley J.R., Pols O.R., Tout C.A., 2000, MNRAS, 315, 543.  - Hurley has a Fortran version up on his page here (implementation here if you want to toy around with that a bit). He starts at the ZAMS (using values for luminosity and radius at that point from Tout C.A., Pols O.R., Eggleton P.P., Han Z., 1996, MNRAS, 281, 257.. There's also a couple of papers by Paxton et al. (201120132015).
I say this because the game currently doesn't appear to implement this (or even the very basic "increase of luminosity of MS stars as a function of age"). For example, picking a random star of higher than solar mass (picture attached) and calculating with both models gives a luminosity at the given age of about about 5.33-5.34 Lsun for the F5V star, much above the given 4.62 (which is actually below the ZAMS luminosity - about 4.8 - of a solar metallicity star in both models).
Another issue I have is with close-in planets around white dwarfs, and the relatively high prevalence of jovian planets around low-mass red dwarves, but that's a whole other post.
Attachments
Screenshot (239).png

RandomCanadian
Observer
Observer

05 Jul 2021 13:16

And the simple thing about the above is it only needs be computed once (on generation of the star - even high-mass stars don't jump all around the HR diagram on human timescales) and it can then be kept as a static value.

RandomCanadian
Observer
Observer

05 Jul 2021 18:56

Nevermind me having taken an older version on my laptop when I looked at this earlier, the observation about luminosities vs. age/mass/metallicity still holds even in the latest: the star here should have about (depending on the model employed to simulate this) 2.9-3.0 Lsun...

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

05 Jul 2021 23:29

Do you think the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram will ever be incorporated into this software?
Maybe. We don't know.
Or even a feature where we actually get to see what the planets' interiors look like?
Relatively pointless.
Vlad said that he wants an H-R diagram in the program at some point, it would be useful to find stars in a field of view by clicking on a speck in the H-R diagram rather than having to tediously go through a field to find sunlike stars or extreme stars.  For example, I use the H-R diagram in SNPP to find the most luminous stars within a given field.

RandomCanadian
Observer
Observer

06 Jul 2021 19:49

Maybe. We don't know.
Relatively pointless.
Vlad said that he wants an H-R diagram in the program at some point, it would be useful to find stars in a field of view by clicking on a speck in the H-R diagram rather than having to tediously go through a field to find sunlike stars or extreme stars.  For example, I use the H-R diagram in SNPP to find the most luminous stars within a given field.
The program already includes the necessary datapoints for this (temperature [via the spectral type - which in the program always correspond to fixed temperatures] and luminosity) in the basic search results, so the only issues I guess are on the user interface end (and possibly the "within a given field of view" bit).