Ultimate space simulation software

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

19 May 2021 08:09

Some suggestions I would like to see:
Planetary interiors
Atlas mode (features alternate textures for Solar System planets, such as topographical and false color maps for terrestrial planets and moons, Continental Drift and thematic maps for Earth, historical and false color maps for giant planets based on either Pioneer, Voyager, Hubble, Cassini, New Horizons, Juno imagery, etc., mostly reused from Celestia Origin)
The Sun under various light spectra, with those textures represented as transparent overlays (for visible light, the Sun texture from Solar System Scope is used to represent the Sun's chromosphere), also flares and prominences on the Sun's surface
Venus' surface texture is now reoriented (its map texture is made upside down so that it is rendered right-side up)
Corrected models for certain asteroids and comets (again mostly reused from Celestia Origin) and new textures for certain dwarf planets like Haumea, Makemake, Eris, Sedna, Gonggong, etc. based on either Snowfall or Kexitt's textures (also from Celestia Origin).
Redesigned and more visible ring textures for Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune (again also from Celestia Origin)
A redesigned Milky Way texture featuring a spiral bar
Asteroid and Kuiper Belts and Oort Clouds (seen only from far away)
Interactive educational features
Last edited by jjliang on 30 May 2021 19:02, edited 2 times in total.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

22 May 2021 01:20

More of a question and if the sim doesn't have this a suggestion....is there any way to create a "flight plan" on SE?  For example.  I want to do a space flight from one side of the galaxy to the other going through the densest clusters and the center of the galaxy.  I would like to be able to input the amount of time this flight should take (my you tube upper limit for video length is 12 hours, so any video I would do would have to be at or less than that) and then the sim would adjust the flight time accordingly and fly me there in that amount of time- is anything like this already in the program or can it be added?

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

22 May 2021 12:51

The planet editor should be altered to raise climate change awareness: altering either a planet's greenhouse gas concentration, orbital distance, and/or even its star's composition and luminosity would also affect its temperature, sea level, and ultimately its habitability. For example, this would potentially terraform uninhabitable worlds into possibly habitable worlds, and conversely, the opposite can be done to worlds that are already habitable, either culminating in either an Ice Age (increased ice cover lowers sea level by freezing seawater in ice) or a Snowball (the entire planet freezes over) planet if the planet is made too cold or a flooded (the ice caps melt, raising sea levels) or a Venus-like (the oceans boil away) planet if the planet is made too hot.
Last edited by jjliang on 30 May 2021 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

23 May 2021 07:42

The planet editor should be altered to raise climate change awareness
More realistic reactions to the properties of a planet is welcome but it'll hardly raise awareness given how niche Space Engine (and the planet editor) are.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

25 May 2021 18:53

How about habitable zones boundaries for planetary systems indicating planets that are habitable (green=habitable, red=too hot, blue=too cold), antique-like constellation art, and the Earth being reimagined as a Google Earth clone.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

26 May 2021 12:12

and the Earth being reimagined as a Google Earth clone.
wdym

earth
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 May 2021 14:31

1. procedural galaxy models and texture
this allows procedural galaxies to have unique textures and models very realistic
because in real life there is not 1 billion milky ways there is only one
2.procedual nebula models
uses a random number generator to generate procedural nebula models
3.add back unique procedural planets
they where removed in 0.990 so add them back
now planets look very similar but back then they look unique
4.seperate volumetric resolution
separate them to galaxy resolution and nebula resolution
Planets are still procedurally generated. As for nebulae, it isn't easy finding a set of numbers that result in a nebula that doesn't look weird.
but they are not unique they are lots of the same planet like i ran into 10 blue greyish planets

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 May 2021 19:36

There should be a search feature for individual procedural planets, moons, stars, and/or galaxies.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer

27 May 2021 08:16

1. procedural galaxy models and texture
this allows procedural galaxies to have unique textures and models very realistic
because in real life there is not 1 billion milky ways there is only one
2.procedual nebula models
uses a random number generator to generate procedural nebula models
3.add back unique procedural planets
they where removed in 0.990 so add them back
now planets look very similar but back then they look unique
4.seperate volumetric resolution
separate them to galaxy resolution and nebula resolution
Planets are still procedurally generated. As for nebulae, it isn't easy finding a set of numbers that result in a nebula that doesn't look weird.
but they are not unique they are lots of the same planet like i ran into 10 blue greyish planets
Then keep looking; desolate planets are common in the Universe.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

27 May 2021 15:11

Then keep looking; desolate planets are common in the Universe.
I dont know why it is, but .980 seemed to have a lot more variation with much nicer colors and more photogenic planets.  I think there should be an option in the menu to create procedural worlds more like that.

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

28 May 2021 19:23

How about a Star Trek-like planet classification system?

XPuzzle
Observer
Observer

29 May 2021 12:03

somebody that i know recently made a song that sounds somewhat familiar with the space engine ost
and i thought that it could be amazing having it in the soundtrack, dont you think?

here's the song:
https://onlinesequencer.net/2090408#t0 "Vladimirr - Airlock"
✧ ⊹     ·         ⊹
 .   ✺
˚        ✵ ✧      
·     ✫   * ✵       
          ✦     ˚ *

XPuzzle
Observer
Observer

30 May 2021 13:13

the link's been updated: https://onlinesequencer.net/2093561
✧ ⊹     ·         ⊹
 .   ✺
˚        ✵ ✧      
·     ✫   * ✵       
          ✦     ˚ *

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

30 May 2021 18:56

Trees, rocks, roads, and buildings being rendered on Earth. Also, various animals (including prehistoric animals if one looks at it millions of years ago via Continental Drift) and vehicles roaming around (indicating the presence of humans).

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

31 May 2021 20:02

thanks for the link, Doc is one of my favorite people and he presents some really good ideas about how (what I call omniverse rather than multiverse) would work.
What you call? I've been using that word since 2009 in my series "The Origin of the Omniverse"