Ultimate space simulation software

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

17 Jun 2017 08:07

Cesare, if you don't stop making demands and double-posting (or in this case quadruple posting...) you will have to take some time out from the forum.
Space Engine must have the ultra texture pack included in the .exe download of the Engine.
This would make the download almost 50 GB, that's absurd for a feature that many people will not even make use of.

Regarding your other requests, do you know how difficult it would be to implement those things, and how long it would take? Given SE's current development resources, it would take at least 10 years. There are more important things to focus on right now.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

17 Jun 2017 08:18

Cesare, if you don't stop making demands and double-posting (or in this case quadruple posting...) you will have to take some time out from the forum.
Space Engine must have the ultra texture pack included in the .exe download of the Engine.
This would make the download almost 50 GB, that's absurd for a feature that many people will not even make use of.

Regarding your other requests, do you know how difficult it would be to implement those things, and how long it would take? Given SE's current development resources, it would take at least 10 years. There are more important things to focus on right now.
I really feel like this guy is trolling.
The profile pic and lack of any politeness and his entitlement gives it away. Doesn't even come off as sincere because he puts so much emphasis on SpaceEngineer needing to follow with his requests. No one can be that unaware of themselves.

Betelgeuze
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

17 Jun 2017 08:30

Please add all those features to Space Engine.
What SpaceEngineer said
Anyway, I should note: as long as SE is a scientifically accurate Universe simulator, then one day it will implement ALL space objects and phenomenon that are known to modern astronomy (if this would be possible to implement on the personal computers). So you may not bother yourself with questions like "will SE one day have meteor rain implemented". I guarantee that it WILL.

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

19 Jun 2017 06:27

A year ago SpaceEngineer said here that:
SpaceEngine's cubemap tool can process only the whole map of the planet, not only a part of it. This is the main problem. I haven't time to update the tool, but if you can programming experience, you can do that.
It would be really awesome to have this cubemap tool revisioned, not only to add that feature (that would make high resolution patches like those made by Klud something feasable) but also to make it more user friendly. I think that the major reason that there are not so much texture community addons is due to the complexity of the cubemap tool. If this was enhanced then many of us could start making wanderful adonns (I want to make a high resolution patch for the himalayas, another for the entire valles marineris, another for the moon landing sites, I want to make a map of the Earth in the Jurassic etc...). Maybe this would make more vivid the progress of SE from the outside viewer and would make more people engage in the community. I'm sure that if the time between two consecutive releases was full of community addons like those each moth, then all the anoying comments like "when is the next release?" or "please it has been a while since..." of new members would dissapear.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

19 Jun 2017 18:27

I can't tell you how many times I've set up the almost perfect screenshot, only to realize I need to rotate the ship or fire up the engines, which then moves the camera to one of the ship-defined cameras, and then I have to try and find that perfect camera spot again. It would be nice to be able to take control of a ship without the camera moving. Or perhaps I am missing something?

Multiple monitors are fairly common these days, it would be nice to have some way of moving the menus, text panels, and other information to a secondary monitor, thus decluttering the main screen.

-Alex

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

19 Jun 2017 20:07

It would be nice to be able to take control of a ship without the camera moving
Press 4 to take control of the ship, and instantly press Esc. Your camera's position should change very little or not at all.
it would be nice to have some way of moving the menus, text panels, and other information to a secondary monitor
Better multi-monitor support is planned.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

20 Jun 2017 20:00

It would be nice to be able to take control of a ship without the camera moving
Press 4 to take control of the ship, and instantly press Esc. Your camera's position should change very little or not at all.
 it would be nice to have some way of moving the menus, text panels, and other information to a secondary monitor
Better multi-monitor support is planned.
Ah... the Esc key. I had no idea that would cancel camera movements. Thank you, I shall give that a try.  :)

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

21 Jun 2017 01:34

If you're standing on the surface of a planet, but you click on the sky so that the planet is no longer selected, you currently can't reselect the planet just by clicking anywhere on the landscape -- you have to point the camera straight down in order to select the center of the planet. And this doesn't even work at night when the landscape is dark. I know SpaceEngineer mentioned making the mouse cursor work more like a "laser pointer" as part of VR development, but can we also have a keyboard shortcut for "select the object you are currently following"?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Jun 2017 02:42

If I'm not mistaken, this issue is fixed for the next SE version.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

21 Jun 2017 13:35

I have yet to try the other side of the Space Engine program; the spacecraft simulation part. I've only been poking around in the Planetarium for the past few months that I've known about this cool software. I haven't even played any other popular space traveling games, so I couldn't compare my idea with what has been done by others already.

So, as I basically teleport from place to place in the Planetarium side of things, I would enjoy seeing what my travel path looks like, to get a sense of scale and positional bearings. I rarely use the Galactic Map or Star Map (pressing F1) because it becomes cluttered with stars and names very quickly as I zoom away from my current position.

Could different colored lines be drawn here, in the Galactic Map menu (F1), connecting all the places from my travel log? Perhaps even automatically plot future pathways to take, using some maze running algorithm that plots the straightest line, with only some or excluding certain other spectral star types etc...

Kinda like these.
SE Galactic Star Map.jpg
SE Galactic Trade Routes.jpg
I understand realism is key for SE, and I wouldn't want to let this start looking like a knock off of a video game. Maybe something like this is already implemented in the Starship side of SE, but I never see any screenshots of similar things. Just an idea that I think might be do-able, and people would love the sense of exploration, navigation, cataloging etc.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 Jun 2017 19:26

Gnargenox, nice idea.

I think that a new cit lights maps would be great:
 https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/
https://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view.php?id=55167
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

gamadh
Astronaut
Astronaut

27 Jun 2017 14:09

If one day you put alien plants in 3D in the SE, or you do not need to be 3D either 

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/ne ... lants.html
In such a hostile universe it is not necessary be the center to be special, just be alive

darkenergywarpdrive
Observer
Observer

28 Jun 2017 08:25

it may be heavy, but what if the theoretical galaxy drift and theoretical present forms were modeled, along with the expanding of space between galaxies, so if one was to treat it as a real navigator, they would have to aim away from where they appear at any point, like from the earth to XDF galaxies.? :)

darkenergywarpdrive
Observer
Observer

28 Jun 2017 08:30

also. here's an edit for the data, music folder, if anyone want's it, it's relativity themed .ogg file, :)

darkenergywarpdrive
Observer
Observer

28 Jun 2017 09:32

HarbingerDawn
also, i like the the HD and ULTRA being separate from the main download because i think they take up more gigabytes than the game itself. it gives me the option of trying to run it with little memory if i choose. i run it on a dell inspiron 531 with an added nvidia gt 640 video card i managed to fit in the case.

and
Gnargenox
reminded me to ask about having a ability to pull up destinations fast, like a bookmark system while in motion. i like to use the ctrl and diretional buttons to turn when i've already put the traveller in motion, so that the motion is locked in. then i can click and drag the direction, while using the scroll up and scroll down to throttle warp forward or slow to a near halt. then, with the destination selector i can hop around without stopping, but i'm limited to setting a destination, and using "go to" to enter warp and then use the search tool to set my next target, but then after that, or if i accidentally click a star, i lose my center/pointer and distance marker and have to pause while i re-search. i am looking for a way to pre make route plans with book-markers in a little side screen bookmark bar or something that doesn't get in the way, like a menu that can be cycled through with hot keys or a ctrl scroll like the velocity selector is. ( especially for the places i don't remember complex names of
also, more catalogue data like the hubble XDF, is desired, and all the known objects to science (i'm suggesting, sorry if it is overwhelming)
also, i ran across a red supergiant and i don't know why it wasn't perfectly round, it was lumpy
. thanks (sorry, i couldn't find the edit post button)