Free planetarium

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

15 Mar 2017 02:20

Thanks, but I see there are some quasars in it already.  Some are generated quasars and some are real ones, what I found fascinating is you can actually journey to the massive black holes near their centers, although the program does not show their accretion disk.  Who knows maybe one day we will be able to go inside a black hole and use it as a wormhole to enter another universe (or another part of ours.)  All this is theoretical of course, but theorized by some of our best minds like Kip Thorne (like the movie Interstellar.)

time crystals have just been created for the first time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_crystal

About inclusion, I was reading about the objects that have the greatest redshift and are at the edge of the observable universe, I take it these will be included one day (maybe soon) too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift# ... _redshifts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... ts_by_type

this page includes the most distant objects by type, including possible planets found in other galaxies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GN-z11

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDFy-38135539

gamma ray bursts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRB_090423

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRB_090429B

Xoran
Explorer

15 Mar 2017 06:54

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post About inclusion, I was reading about the objects that have the greatest redshift and are at the edge of the observable universe, I take it these will be included one day (maybe soon) too?

Redshift is already implemented, try going into intergalactic space and you will see some red or yellow dots, those are galaxies or quasars that is so far away that their light is redshifted. Also, try approaching said galaxies or quasars, the redness will turn into yellowness, then disappear when you are close enough.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

16 Mar 2017 02:33

Thanks, so these objects are already in the program? I tried searching for the extreme redshifted objects like GN-z11 or UDFy-38135539 or the GRBs GRB_090423 and GRB_090429B but could not find them under Find Location.

I have to say though the search feature is really good, it's much more difficult to do with Starry Night Pro Plus.  Also, I noticed Space Engineer said he uses the Hipparcos catalog for stars  If it is wanted I can send the Tycho Catalog also, from SNPP.  It will give the program access to a much larger database of stars.  I believe exoplanets are also included in the list.

JackDole
Explorer

16 Mar 2017 02:46

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post  If it is wanted I can send the Tycho Catalog

As far as I know, the Tycho catalog does not contain any distance information. So is completely useless for SpaceEngine.

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

16 Mar 2017 03:24

Oh okay thanks, I wasn't aware of that.  I guess the same is true of the Tycho-2 catalog?  Disregard the links I posted in the other thread please, I thought distance information was already included

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

16 Mar 2017 03:29

On a completely different subject, I turned off all procedural objects to see how the program would look and then I went to a globular cluster M13 and all I saw was a dark field.  If I turn on procedural stars, I can see the globular cluster again.  Is this how the program is supposed to work? I thought that since M13 was a real cluster it should be visible even with procedural objects turned off.

The other thing is with procedural objects turned off I went to M42 Orion Nebula, and selected a star HIP 18169 / HD24446.  It says it has 6 planets.  With all procedural objects turned off, I assume these are planets that were discovered?  When I selected one of the planets (I believe it was the third one) it said that planet has 30 moons!  Are those moons procedural objects or real moons that were discovered?  Is there a way to turn procedural moons off if they were- I wanted to see which objects were actually discovered.

JackDole
Explorer

16 Mar 2017 04:03

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I turned off all procedural objects to see how the program would look and then I went to a globular cluster M13 and all I saw was a dark field.

All objects in M 13 are produced procedurally. If you disable procedural objects, M 13 is, of course, invisible.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post The other thing is with procedural objects turned off I went to M42 Orion Nebula, and selected a star HIP 18169 / HD24446.  It says it has 6 planets.

If you disable procedural objects, it means only that they are not displayed graphically. Internally, they still exist in SpaceEngine.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post  I guess the same is true of the Tycho-2 catalog?

Yes.

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

16 Mar 2017 05:25

one other question I do have is, how do I make the red stars appear redder and the blue stars bluer- in other words increase color saturation? I also want to be able to see the oranges and amber color I see in pictures of M42 Orion Nebula and "The Pillars", they appear a monotone deep pink in the program.

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

16 Mar 2017 05:28

JackDole wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I turned off all procedural objects to see how the program would look and then I went to a globular cluster M13 and all I saw was a dark field.

All objects in M 13 are produced procedurally. If you disable procedural objects, M 13 is, of course, invisible.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post The other thing is with procedural objects turned off I went to M42 Orion Nebula, and selected a star HIP 18169 / HD24446.  It says it has 6 planets.

If you disable procedural objects, it means only that they are not displayed graphically. Internally, they still exist in SpaceEngine.

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post  I guess the same is true of the Tycho-2 catalog?

Yes.

Thanks, I turned all procedural objects back on as the rendition is very realistic.  I was just hoping to find a way to saturate the colors more, making blue stars bluer and red stars redder, etc.
Also, when I turned off all procedural objects that doesn't apply to procedural moons does it? The aforementioned planet that the program said has 30 moons- those were all procedural? I don't think there is a way to turn off procedural moons.  I didn't see the option under settings.  So the information will still show up but they will not be displayed graphically.  Only the planets will- the ones that were really discovered, that is.  That option is in settings, to turn off procedural planets around real stars.  So if the planets weren't real, it would tell me the real star didn't have any planets as long as I leave that unchecked?  I right clicked on the star and selected expand planets and it graphically showed me the 6 planets along with their info.  I figured the planets are real, but the 30 moons under info for one of the planets are procedural- is that true, Jack?

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

16 Mar 2017 06:15

You don't use real images for Messier and NGC-IC objects because we don't know the exact distances to specific stars in those images (like Hubble or Sloan Digital Sky Survey)?  We only know the general distance of the object itself, rather than a specific distance for each individual star.

Xoran
Explorer

16 Mar 2017 06:20

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I figured the planets are real, but the 30 moons under info for one of the planets are procedural

I don't think SE can generate moons around known exoplanets
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post You don't use real images for Messier and NGC-IC objects because we don't know the exact distances to the stars in those images (like Hubble or Sloan Digital Sky Survey.)

I think it uses real-ish images for M31 (Andromeda galaxy) and M33 (Triangulum galaxy), but otherwise no real images are used as far as i know :)

JackDole
Explorer

16 Mar 2017 07:03

A-L-E-X,
Planets with numbers as names are procedural.
Real exoplanets have letters, such as b, c, d, etc.

And apparently procedural planets are also displayed in the system browser when they are disabled.

Xoran
Explorer

16 Mar 2017 07:15

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post one other question I do have is, how do I make the red stars appear redder and the blue stars bluer- in other words increase color saturation?

Not implemented yet as far as i know, and i didn't see it in the TODO list.
JackDole wrote:
Source of the post Planets with numbers as names are procedural.

You mean "planets with numbers indicating place in their system" right? ;)

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

16 Mar 2017 12:32

Xoran wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I figured the planets are real, but the 30 moons under info for one of the planets are procedural

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post You don't use real images for Messier and NGC-IC objects because we don't know the exact distances to the stars in those images (like Hubble or Sloan Digital Sky Survey.)

I think it uses real-ish images for M31 (Andromeda galaxy) and M33 (Triangulum galaxy), but otherwise no real images are used as far as i know :)

Thanks much- so when it lists for example "30 moons" in the info of a planet, that's just randomly generated info?

A-L-E-X
Astronaut

16 Mar 2017 12:36

Xoran wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:

A-L-E-X wrote:

Yes, I love the program but was a bit disappointed in the image of M42 Orion Nebula that was generated.  With a camera you can get a lot more colors.  Even a regular DSLR or mirrorless camera.  Do you think they might enhance its image in a future version?
Is there a way for me to see constellations the way I would see them from Earth?  For example, Orion? I see it in the opening of the program but after the program loads it just switches to the last thing I viewed from my previous session.