Free planetarium

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

30 Jun 2017 04:26

Gnargenox wrote:
Source of the post Could different colored lines be drawn here, in the Galactic Map menu (F1), connecting all the places from my travel log? Perhaps even automatically plot future pathways to take, using some maze running algorithm that plots the straightest line, with only some or excluding certain other spectral star types etc...

Kinda like these.

It will not look like on your picture. Unlike space sim games, in SE you interstellar flights are not limited to the nearest stars. You can easily jump to another side of a galaxy and return back. Typical exploration scenario is clicking a random point in go there (with 90% probablilty it will be a giant star 1000+ light years away). Or search for a life terra using the star browser, which also could be hundreds of light years away. So your "flight path" will be very messy, especially if we taking into account possibility of intergalactic travels.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

30 Jun 2017 04:31

Sorry for long time before response guys, this is a lot of questions and took almost a hours for me to read through them and respond. I have no time to read the entire forum.

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer

30 Jun 2017 04:36

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Wise versa, it's better to have ability to stream textures online, like Google Earth. Then SE distribution could shrink down to 300 MB.

That would be awesome! Eventually you might be able to download the 40 GB pack to have those textures offline.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

30 Jun 2017 07:58

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post SE does not support dynamic changes of the terrain. So those things are simply impossible to implement. Maybe one day in future...
And modelling of weather is too complex thing even with supercomputers. In SE it could be only faked somehow. Anyway, this is a task for a far future.

yes, I know climate computing is something  very hard to achieve realistically, that's why I said "simple", just use approximations of big weather systems, using vectors to indicate cloud movement 'n ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎. A lot of procedural generators that have planets have a very simple climate model.
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

Mouthwash
Astronaut
Astronaut

01 Jul 2017 14:33

SpaceEngineer wrote:
You're wrong, moons of moons are not theoretically possible. Even for lightweight planet and very far moon, like our Earth's Moon, its satellite could exist just few years.

I've seen moons nearly 7 AU away from their planets in SE... but they were admittedly pretty small (largest was 4% the mass of Earth).

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

02 Jul 2017 20:57

should SE have a discord?

GS49
Observer
Observer

02 Jul 2017 21:01

Hiiii! Sorry if I suggested things that other peeps have suggested because I don't have the time to read them! Anyway, here are my suggestions.
  • Be able to explore layers (Like mantles and cores) of planets (Such as showing it's composition, stripping of its layers, knowing what temp they are, etc.)
  • Make Gas Giants more fun to explore (1 idea is to add the feature to dive deep down all the way into its core)
  • Make some kinda option where you can view and explore elevation and landscape features, so you can know instantly know whether a planet is "fun" to explore
  • Create the option to add rings, atmospheres, accretion discs, etc (cuz you can only do that by editing the scripts
  • Add the abilities to remove shadows (so there would be no "dark side" of any planet)

FastFourierTransform
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

02 Jul 2017 23:17

@GS49

Look at the TODO list. There you have a comprehensive list of accepted suggestions. The vast majority of things that people propose are here before they aknowledge.

GS49 wrote:
Source of the post Be able to explore layers (Like mantles and cores) of planets (Such as showing it's composition, stripping of its layers, knowing what temp they are, etc.)
Make Gas Giants more fun to explore (1 idea is to add the feature to dive deep down all the way into its core)

Both of these ideas have been explored by SpaceEngineer (the reator of the software). He might eventually do that but it's a long way until SE reaches that point in developement.

GS49 wrote:
Source of the post Make some kinda option where you can view and explore elevation and landscape features, so you can know instantly know whether a planet is "fun" to explore

What does that mean? to have a coeficient of funnes for a planet?

GS49 wrote:
Source of the post Create the option to add rings, atmospheres, accretion discs, etc (cuz you can only do that by editing the scripts

This ability will eventually be developed.

GS49 wrote:
Source of the post Add the abilities to remove shadows (so there would be no "dark side" of any planet)

This is something you can do now. SE has this feature from several years. Just move the ambient light slider

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

03 Jul 2017 03:53

Someone needs to be very creative to suggest some things for Space Engine. Almost every thing people suggest are already in Space Engineers mind and list. It's sad that this simulation can't be completed in a few years from now. I want to be helpful. That's why i follow this 'game' for years. Going to think of some ideas now.
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

Starlight Glimmer
Explorer
Explorer

05 Jul 2017 09:26

Can there be a sort of 'flashlight' tool that would be a clickeable button on the UI that would illuminate the dark side of planets and the entirity of planemos at somepoint in the game? Is it possible for it to be implemented? 

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

05 Jul 2017 09:37

Starlight Glimmer wrote:
Can there be a sort of 'flashlight' tool that would be a clickeable button on the UI that would illuminate the dark side of planets and the entirity of planemos at somepoint in the game? Is it possible for it to be implemented? 

You can already achieve this using ambient light.
Ryzen 7 1700 OC to 3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 980 Ti 6144 MB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

05 Jul 2017 10:13

I just experienced a "glitch in the Matrix" moment, and...

Starlight Glimmer wrote:
Source of the post I think for rogue planets there should be an option called 'Flashlight' that is a button on the sidebar and bars on the bottom that when pressed, it would illuminate an entire rogue planet / moon  like it would if it had a sun, but all the way around.

Hornblower wrote:
Source of the post Starlight Glimmer, you can already do this by increasing your Ambient light

Well, after a rough day this made me smile  :)
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

05 Jul 2017 11:37

Mosfet wrote:
I just experienced a "glitch in the Matrix" moment, and...

Starlight Glimmer wrote:
Source of the post I think for rogue planets there should be an option called 'Flashlight' that is a button on the sidebar and bars on the bottom that when pressed, it would illuminate an entire rogue planet / moon  like it would if it had a sun, but all the way around.

Hornblower wrote:
Source of the post Starlight Glimmer, you can already do this by increasing your Ambient light

Well, after a rough day this made me smile  :)

It looks like someone is making suggestions and not checking responses...
Ryzen 7 1700 OC to 3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 980 Ti 6144 MB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Jackdaw
Astronaut
Astronaut

06 Jul 2017 21:16

I suggest that you put some more options in the filter of the star browser, especially that sorting planets by it's atmosphere component. For example, I'd like to look for planets with atmosphere carbon dioxide ratio less than 1%, and with oxygen more than 20%, etc. 
But anyway, it is indeed a merely perfect game. 
I love SpaceEngine.
"...perch`e i nostri discorsi hanno a essere sopra un mondo sensibile, e non sopra un mondo di carta."

CPU: Intel Core i7 5700HQ GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 970M RAM: 16 GBs

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

07 Jul 2017 11:43

My suggestion is that spaceships have interior. Something similar to first person, but with a lot details. Current Space Engine doesn't have concept of space and time for spaceships. Like, if I would advance time, spaceships would stay there as before. I know that this is going to be fixed in future, but I just want to point it here. I also posted on spaceships threat that I often use spaceships and suggested there this. Anyway, this is my suggestion for spaceships. :D
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.