Ultimate space simulation software

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

08 Jul 2017 14:30

Lately, I've been trying to fly over the cloudtops on gas giants. I suggest that the shader should lower the maximum bumpiness value of clouds on gas and ice giants to prevent them from becoming too spiky:
scr00442.jpg
scr00446.jpg
The "vortex" noise pattern used on clouds looks OK when bumpiness is reduced, but would it be possible to add a "Jordan hills" texture at a small enough scale that it only becomes visible up close? That might make them look more like clouds.

I think every gas and ice giant should have a cloud layer at 0 height, so that there's something to see if you land on the surface. I've only found one example of a planet like that so far:
scr00448.jpg
EDIT: I've done some experimenting and it looks like SE doesn't currently allow gas giants to have more than one layer of clouds?

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

09 Jul 2017 23:43

will it be possible to have stars look like this someday?

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

10 Jul 2017 01:24

That's through a hydrogen alpha filter, which is good for picking out subtle details of the solar atmosphere, but isn't really representative of how a star appears to the eye or camera.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

10 Jul 2017 05:02

That's through a hydrogen alpha filter, which is good for picking out subtle details of the solar atmosphere, but isn't really representative of how a star appears to the eye or camera.
Then how would the sun really appear then? Just a white orb with sunspots on the surface? Wouldn't some if the atmosphere be visible and appear similar to the image as well?

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

10 Jul 2017 08:50

Then how would the sun really appear then? Just a white orb with sunspots on the surface? Wouldn't some if the atmosphere be visible and appear similar to the image as well?
Basically, yes. The sun would appear as a whiteish orb, darkening and reddening towards the edges. Sunspots would clearly be visible, and if you looked closely enough, you would also be able to discern granulation. Prominences and atmospheric features are MUCH dimmer than the photosphere, so you would not be able to image them unless you were able to occlude the photosphere through some means. If you go over to the astrophotography thread you can see a visible light image of the sun that I recently posted.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

TeslaK20
Observer
Observer

10 Jul 2017 15:01

Looking at the new nebula tech, I see a use for it in gas giants. Presently, Gas Giants have a 2D cloud layer and a surface. With the current nebula tech redesigned for gas giants, we could see complex atmospheric formation cloudscapes.

Something like this.

Jackdaw
Astronaut
Astronaut

10 Jul 2017 22:12

My suggestion is that spaceships have interior. Something similar to first person, but with a lot details. Current Space Engine doesn't have concept of space and time for spaceships. Like, if I would advance time, spaceships would stay there as before. I know that this is going to be fixed in future, but I just want to point it here. I also posted on spaceships threat that I often use spaceships and suggested there this. Anyway, this is my suggestion for spaceships. :D
Well, apparently you would need Star Citizen lol
"...perch`e i nostri discorsi hanno a essere sopra un mondo sensibile, e non sopra un mondo di carta."

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 8G RAM: 32 GBs Storage (of SE): WD SN750 250G

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

11 Jul 2017 03:00

My suggestion is that spaceships have interior. Something similar to first person, but with a lot details. Current Space Engine doesn't have concept of space and time for spaceships. Like, if I would advance time, spaceships would stay there as before. I know that this is going to be fixed in future, but I just want to point it here. I also posted on spaceships threat that I often use spaceships and suggested there this. Anyway, this is my suggestion for spaceships. :D
Lol, yeah. But it will be implemented in the future. I am really looking forward for this update. When SE is finished, i think it will hold the 1st place for space games for years. :)
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

Jackdaw
Astronaut
Astronaut

12 Jul 2017 01:29

Lol, yeah. But it will be implemented in the future. I am really looking forward for this update. When SE is finished, i think it will hold the 1st place for space games for years. :)
And surely, I think, at that time, you might be on Tau Ceti IV and I'm on TRAPPIST-1 e when SE is finally finished lol
"...perch`e i nostri discorsi hanno a essere sopra un mondo sensibile, e non sopra un mondo di carta."

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 8G RAM: 32 GBs Storage (of SE): WD SN750 250G

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

12 Jul 2017 12:17

And surely, I think, at that time, you might be on Tau Ceti IV and I'm on TRAPPIST-1 e when SE is finally finished lol
Yeah, lol. When it is finally finished. xD But it's better to have more features and be released later. :) 
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

12 Jul 2017 16:35

My suggestion is that spaceships have interior. Something similar to first person, but with a lot details. Current Space Engine doesn't have concept of space and time for spaceships. Like, if I would advance time, spaceships would stay there as before. I know that this is going to be fixed in future, but I just want to point it here. I also posted on spaceships threat that I often use spaceships and suggested there this. Anyway, this is my suggestion for spaceships.
Making ships interiors is a fun of course, but I need a company with a large funding for this. Just imagine how many artists needed to create even 10 ship interiors "with a lot details", and how many money needed to pay them.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

12 Jul 2017 18:35

One option is to just make modular interiors, but this would still require artists. 
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Jackdaw
Astronaut
Astronaut

12 Jul 2017 23:10

My suggestion is that spaceships have interior. Something similar to first person, but with a lot details. Current Space Engine doesn't have concept of space and time for spaceships. Like, if I would advance time, spaceships would stay there as before. I know that this is going to be fixed in future, but I just want to point it here. I also posted on spaceships threat that I often use spaceships and suggested there this. Anyway, this is my suggestion for spaceships.
Making ships interiors is a fun of course, but I need a company with a large funding for this. Just imagine how many artists needed to create even 10 ship interiors "with a lot details", and how many money needed to pay them.
There have already been some mods on this forum in which starships have interiors, but not quite "with a lot details" lol

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

13 Jul 2017 03:47

I understand that making interiors is hard and would require a lot of work and funding. But, that's why you have donations. You can use them to hire some artist. I would like to donate some money to you, but I have just 15 years. This is off-topic, but today's my birthday! xD lol

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

13 Jul 2017 03:53

There have already been some mods on this forum in which starships have interiors, but not quite "with a lot details" lol
Yes, that is true! I am artist myself and even drawing on some software is hard if you want 'a lot of details'. I would like to help with a lot of things for SpaceEngineer and SE, but it's out of my possibilities. Well, at least I can translate the game. :) That is the only thing that I can do properly. :D lol