Ultimate space simulation software

calan
Observer
Observer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

10 Apr 2021 21:26

Would be nice to see the known open and globular clusters to be more "life like". I understand that they are filled with procedural stars, but they all have the same density and a constant yellow color. Is there a way that the star generator could look up certain parameters for the known clusters, and modify the density and star colors?

As an awesome VR tool for space exploration, I think this and some more realistic nebulae is fairly important, as those are the two most popular types of objects that most people want to explore.

Really enjoying the program so far!

calan
Observer
Observer

11 Apr 2021 03:55

Add R.A./Dec. and constellation name to the object info display.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

11 Apr 2021 09:18

Would be nice to see the known open and globular clusters to be more "life like". I understand that they are filled with procedural stars, but they all have the same density and a constant yellow color. Is there a way that the star generator could look up certain parameters for the known clusters, and modify the density and star colors?

As an awesome VR tool for space exploration, I think this and some more realistic nebulae is fairly important, as those are the two most popular types of objects that most people want to explore.

Really enjoying the program so far!
I explore exoplanets in real global clusters and I see stars of various colors in them :)  They also provide very scenic views!

earth
Astronaut
Astronaut

list of suggestions

18 Apr 2021 17:59

1. procedural galaxy models and texture
this allows procedural galaxies to have unique textures and models very realistic
because in real life there is not 1 billion milky ways there is only one
2.procedual nebula models
uses a random number generator to generate procedural nebula models
3.add back unique procedural planets
they where removed in 0.990 so add them back
now planets look very similar but back then they look unique
4.seperate volumetric resolution
separate them to galaxy resolution and nebula resolution

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut

28 Apr 2021 17:51

Hi, I'd like to suggest a few things related to orbital mechanics with spacecrafts and ask a couple of questions related to their feasibility.

Right now orbit previews for spacecrafts in SE only show the correct prediction when the spacecraft is exclusively in one body's SOI, which leads to wrong predictions when the spacecraft is leaving a body's SOI and you try to preview its orbit around another body (the spacecraft's orbit around the Sun when it is orbiting the Earth for example).

To illustrate, if you are leaving Earth's orbit for a Hohmann transfer to Mars, the orbit's preview will show an apogee for the transfer orbit that is higher than Mars' orbit, which will get lower as you get further away from Earth until you leave its SOI. When you are out of the SOI, only then your true transfer orbit around the Sun will be visible.
► Show Spoiler
As you can see in the images, the orbit changes as you leave Earth's SOI. My suggestion would be to have the final preview, when referencing the Sun, even when inside Earth's SOI, similar to what Kerbal Space Program does (without the added encounter marks to not overcomplicate things).
I don't know exactly how hard this would to implement with the current method used to calculate the previews, but it would make playing with the orbital mechanics way easier as you wouldn't have to know the exact amount of deltaV required for a transfer orbit.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

05 May 2021 11:39

1. procedural galaxy models and texture
this allows procedural galaxies to have unique textures and models very realistic
because in real life there is not 1 billion milky ways there is only one
2.procedual nebula models
uses a random number generator to generate procedural nebula models
3.add back unique procedural planets
they where removed in 0.990 so add them back
now planets look very similar but back then they look unique
4.seperate volumetric resolution
separate them to galaxy resolution and nebula resolution
Planets are still procedurally generated. As for nebulae, it isn't easy finding a set of numbers that result in a nebula that doesn't look weird.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

cavepainter
Observer
Observer

13 May 2021 22:41

Thank You // Incorrect Star Names ? // Alternative Constellation Lines ?

I'm a high school astronomy teacher and I'm familiarizing myself with this software to use in class. I've only been playing with it for a few hours but I can tell it's going to enormously enhance my teaching next year. I'm very excited.

However, as I explore the program I'm noticing some incorrect star names and I'm wondering how they can get corrected.
  • For example, Gamma Cas is known as Navi, but SE has it labeled Tsih while the name Navi is regarded as an alternative name for Epsilon Cas. Another in the same constellation is Ruchbah, which is labeled Ksora in SE.
Also I found in the post announcing the addition of constellations that there are plans to allow alternative constellation lines similar to Stellarium's functionality for multiple star cultures. Is this still part of the plan?

Thank you!

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

16 May 2021 09:20

Recently in another thread I posted about a video of Sebastian Lague, where a generative algorithm allows for the creation of animated stellar granulation (see 15:46 in the video).

Later, midtskogen answered saying that this was probably too computationally expensive for the cadence of SpaceEngine renderings. So I searched for possible alternatives.

Using the Kuramoto-Sivashinsky equation it appears that animating granulation (at least mimicking similar behaviour) in stellar surfaces is archivable on the run. You can see the animation and implementation here.

Is this in the realm of possibilities SpaceEngineer?

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

16 May 2021 12:09

Universe Sandbox2 is doing it pretty well:
Top and bottom are giant stars and middle is main sequence.
Don't know what magic they are using though :geek:
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

16 May 2021 21:35

Wow thats nice.  Can I run both it and SE at the same time on different screens? I want to compare them.  How well does it do with travel on planet surfaces - are its atmospheric and land details really good like SE's are and does it give a similar starship experience?

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

18 May 2021 03:25

Don't worry. They will be in an upcoming addon. I've been compiling all known massive stars in the Milky Way for the past 2 years. They are around 20.000

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

18 May 2021 10:55

Looks a bit iffy like someone took the Photoshop Oil Paint filter to some noise.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

18 May 2021 14:46

Don't worry. They will be in an upcoming addon. I've been compiling all known massive stars in the Milky Way for the past 2 years. They are around 20.000
Oh thank you, I find these really interesting!  I hope you can include most massive, most luminous and largest (by diameter) too.  I don't know if you have the time for it but it would be nice if the most distant objects we know could also be included!

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

19 May 2021 06:21

Recently in another thread I posted about a video of Sebastian Lague, where a generative algorithm allows for the creation of animated stellar granulation (see 15:46 in the video).

Later, midtskogen answered saying that this was probably too computationally expensive for the cadence of SpaceEngine renderings. So I searched for possible alternatives.

Using the Kuramoto-Sivashinsky equation it appears that animating granulation (at least mimicking similar behaviour) in stellar surfaces is archivable on the run. You can see the animation and implementation here.

Is this in the realm of possibilities SpaceEngineer?
Maybe it's hard because in Space Engine you can go backwards in time and maybe the algorithm doesn't allow that... Unless if the animation takes the time scale as absolute even if it's unrealistic  :D
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs