Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

28 Oct 2020 15:31

Same reason as not adding confirmed life on other planets.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

28 Oct 2020 23:28

I could imagine, should one day life be found on distant planets, then this will be added to SpaceEngine immediately! Of course, it would first have to be proven beyond doubt.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

30 Oct 2020 05:11

it would first have to be proven beyond doubt
Probably hard.  The first evidence of life would be through detection of certain molecules in the planet's atmosphere, which could be from life, but it's hard to prove that it cannot be from something else.  Like the detection of phosphine on Venus.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

30 Oct 2020 09:32

Yes, also I wonder about the report I posted earlier that said that aliens with telescopes could locate the signature of life on earth from 300 light years away.  And there are just over 1,000 sunlike stars with planets within that distance.

Parallax_Punch
Observer
Observer

02 Nov 2020 10:30

I think one thing that would help with understanding scale is having more "human sized objects" on the planets surface like rocks and cliffsides even trees on planets that support life, the rocks could use the same displacement method that you use to generate planets so you wouldnt need to do any crazy unwraps or bakes. Adding land vehicles for VR would be amazing, being able to drive around on the planet surface would be so cool and it would really give the play a good frame of reference for the scale of the environment! Also this might be too expensive but real time shadows will make everything look instantly more realistic, I'm assuming this is really difficult to implement because its such a basic thing but everything feels kind of flat without it especially mid day on planets when the sun is higher in the sky. wind sound effects would be really cool too, nothing too crazy just a little bit of sound can go a long way with games. I really hope you guys add more things on the planets surface to help the planets feel more "real" This is probably one of the most interesting things I've played in the past 10 years cant wait to see what you come out with next!

Nahor
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

02 Nov 2020 14:38

I think one thing that would help with understanding scale is having more "human sized objects" on the planets surface like rocks and cliffsides even trees on planets that support life
A lot of people (myself including) come to Space Engine hoping for a more realistic version of No Man's Sky, but that's just not what Space Engine is about. The feel I get from lurking in the forums is that it's more about stargazing and not so much about new sceneries. It's more about "space" in general, and not so much about "planets" per-se. It's the same way you don't expect atoms to be simulated, even though at lot of the astronomy is about about detecting gas and rock composition.

As for the sense of scale, I'm not sure rocks and trees would help much. A small rock is very much like a big rock. Plants and trees are much more useful in that regard. But even there, our sense of scale comes from our familiarity with Earth. We know how tall trees are, we know how haze affects distant objects,... That experience wouldn't translate on planets with much taller/shorter trees, thicker/thinner atmosphere, ...

Parallax_Punch
Observer
Observer

03 Nov 2020 10:20

As for the sense of scale, I'm not sure rocks and trees would help much. A small rock is very much like a big rock. Plants and trees are much more   useful in that regard. But even there, our sense of scale comes from our familiarity with Earth. We know how tall trees are, we know how haze   affects   distant objects,... That experience wouldn't translate on planets with much taller/shorter trees, thicker/thinner atmosphere, ...
Thanks for the response :)! Having any objects scattered around the planets will help a lot with scale (I'm talking about VR) its not about what the objects are its about composition i.e. big things in relation to small things. contextualizing the player in the environment makes a huge difference for emersion. 
If this is just made for star gazing then I think its a huge missed opportunity I think the coolest feature of this game is the overwhelming sense of scale you get moving from planet to solar system to galaxy, its overwhelming, scary and gives me existential feelings I've never felt before this is not about stargazing anymore if thats what they set out to make this is a piece of art. 
This is something that no mans sky just cant do with the loading screens they have, having those small objects will push the scale even further. this is also just my opinion so there is that. and who TF am I.

Mythplayer
Observer
Observer

03 Nov 2020 11:55

have plan add "search filter" function on [find object] pannel? and this pannel can change more bigger?
My PC Spec:
Processor:Intel i7-3770K@4Ghz Memory:32GB
Motherboard:Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Grapics Card:Nvidia GTX1060 6GB
OS version: Windows 10 1903

kostuek
Observer
Observer

19 Nov 2020 14:25

I wonder if this https://www.quantamagazine.org/geometry ... -20201119/ could be helpful for planet generation, maybe for textures.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

20 Nov 2020 00:55

thats a great site- look up cosmic triangles on there

InterstellarTraveler
Observer
Observer

30 Nov 2020 09:07

Exploration opportunities.
It would be very good to be able to use at least orbiters to explore different planets. Or also for terrestrial planets with a hard surface the moving controlled vehicles (or stationary) that could take samples and take pictures. Sure that the possibility of such actions would undoubtedly increase the interest to the SE. Ofcourse, it depends on the parameters and conditions of a particular planet or its satellite, and also the the distance from object parent star (and temperature) is important.

Alivik
Observer
Observer

16 Dec 2020 10:45

I have a few script/variable suggestions that could make recording videos better:
  1. FOV as a variable so it could be interpolated or add time parameter to the current FOV command, which would allow a nice smooth telescopic zoom in or out.
  2. Same for Time. There is currently an option to interpolate TimeScale and with some calculating you can make it work smoothly but it would make life a lot easier if there was something like "Set time to '2020.01.01 12:00' with duration 10 seconds"

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

17 Dec 2020 04:07

FOV as a variable so it could be interpolated or add time parameter to the current FOV command, which would allow a nice smooth telescopic zoom in or out.
FOV accepts the (undocumented) parameter Time, try:
FOV 2.5 {Time 60}
FOV 13 {Time 0}
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Alivik
Observer
Observer

18 Dec 2020 03:05

FOV accepts the (undocumented) parameter Time, try:
FOV 2.5 {Time 60}
FOV 13 {Time 0}
Nice, thanks! :) It didn't cross my mind to try that.

virat1ew77
Observer
Observer

03 Feb 2021 02:45

Hi, is there any proper meaning to the sentence, what are you asking?