Observer
Observer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

15 Jun 2020 09:24

Thanks. Sincerely hope it's not binned forever. :(

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

20 Jun 2020 14:05

It looks pretty final, but I think SpaceEngineer had problems aligning the glows with the actual stars. It's still in the game, but it's disabled by default.
How do you enable this?
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

miniluv73
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

21 Jun 2020 06:53

I'm not entirely sure how to do it, but what I think you should do is find a procedural nebula, go to the editor, and find an option called Star render. I believe it only works for a single star though. Hopefully SpaceEngineer can finish it in a future version, maybe 0.991.
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here."
Arthur C. Clarke, 1996

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

21 Jun 2020 09:19

I'm not entirely sure how to do it, but what I think you should do is find a procedural nebula, go to the editor, and find an option called Star render. I believe it only works for a single star though. Hopefully SpaceEngineer can finish it in a future version, maybe 0.991.
Cheers mate

simopi
Observer
Observer

21 Jun 2020 11:35

Hi, Space Engine 0.990 is brilliant, but i have some doubt with eclipses. Take a look to the 1999 august 11 solar eclipse... i can't see corona until i don't zoom in. And maybe, sky is too dark.
Attachments
eclissi 21 giugno 2020.png
eclissi 21 giugno 2020.png (97.68 KiB) Viewed 4987 times

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Jun 2020 16:58

I'm afraid the image is not big enough to see the camera position and other parameters in order to duplicate the view. The name of the image is june 21, 2020, you are mentioning the 1999 eclipse though
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

simopi
Observer
Observer

22 Jun 2020 03:19

Yes, sorry. Please refer to the following image. In my opinion, the sun shine should be off when total eclipse is total.
https://ibb.co/2j7n1YK

Thanks.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

22 Jun 2020 12:13

I managed to duplicate the image. The Auto exposure mode view is not the best to see the totality. In fact to mitigate that you have to use a narrow field of view, like you said.
Auto mode is generally speaking much better than before, but as you can see still shows some limits during eclipses, and with some small bright objects.
In this case I find HDR mode and limited magnitude more pleasing.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

simopi
Observer
Observer

22 Jun 2020 15:44

Ok i understand. I have tried with HDR and i can see eclipse much better. Thanks for the suggestion, i hope you can mprove Auto exposure because is really great.

labs20
Observer
Observer

24 Jun 2020 12:11

Hi. Sorry if this was requested before, but I think this amazing work of art really needs a set of "arcade" controls, default mapped to gamepads (xbox 360), with the most obvious flight / explore commands in a plug and play manner, following the common (non scientific?) way of piloting spaceships, like Elite Dangerous for example. 

I've tried exploring last night in VR with my X360, but the mapping for the gamepad fells like "almost" right. 

A more simple layout would make casuals (my wife / children / parents and pretty much EVERYBODY that came to visit me, as I will be showing this off a lot) fell much more comfortable when exploring "for fun". 

A simple layout should provide intuitive 6DOF right of the bat:
 LS Up / Down  - Pitch down / up
 LS Right / Left - Yaw right / left
 RS Right / Left - Roll right / left
 RS Up / Down  - Vertical ascend / descend
 Left Trigger      - Velocity Up
 Right Trigger    - Velocity Down
 Left Button      - Increase max velocity (preferably by defined amounts)
 Right Button    - Decrease max velocity (preferably by defined amounts)  
... and the rest buttons at will with select, go to object, speed time, etc...

I do appreciate that more complex and realistics flight controls exists, but I think adding a "simpler" one would do wonders for the newcomers and the casuals.

Thanks for this life changing work. 

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer

25 Jun 2020 04:16

Hi. Sorry if this was requested before, but I think this amazing work of art really needs a set of "arcade" controls, default mapped to gamepads (xbox 360), with the most obvious flight / explore commands in a plug and play manner, following the common (non scientific?) way of piloting spaceships, like Elite Dangerous for example. 

I've tried exploring last night in VR with my X360, but the mapping for the gamepad fells like "almost" right. 

A more simple layout would make casuals (my wife / children / parents and pretty much EVERYBODY that came to visit me, as I will be showing this off a lot) fell much more comfortable when exploring "for fun". 

A simple layout should provide intuitive 6DOF right of the bat:
 LS Up / Down  - Pitch down / up
 LS Right / Left - Yaw right / left
 RS Right / Left - Roll right / left
 RS Up / Down  - Vertical ascend / descend
 Left Trigger      - Velocity Up
 Right Trigger    - Velocity Down
 Left Button      - Increase max velocity (preferably by defined amounts)
 Right Button    - Decrease max velocity (preferably by defined amounts)  
... and the rest buttons at will with select, go to object, speed time, etc...

I do appreciate that more complex and realistics flight controls exists, but I think adding a "simpler" one would do wonders for the newcomers and the casuals.

Thanks for this life changing work. 

Unfortunately, unlike Elite: Grind, space flight doesn't mean point, engage supercruise, drop, make credit counter go up, repeat. You have to sync velocities, which might require some orbital maneuvers once fuel is added and thrust is reduced, and you'll really need to use orbital mechanics for interplanetary transfers. How are you going to select UI elements, like prograde, warp autopilot and landing gear?

labs20
Observer
Observer

25 Jun 2020 07:46

Hi! Thanks for your answer!

See, I'm not comparing the two, as it would render pointless. Its like comparing an ice cold beer versus a hot extra cheese and pepperoni pizza. There is no winner, its just about what do you want to taste at a given time.

I do appreciate the more scientific aspect of flight, and (I'm new here) seems to me that probably there is a game (or gamification) coming on the way (and that would be SUPER), but what I'm trying to humble suggest is that apart of that, and adding to that, a simple usual gaming flight mechanics bounded to a gamepad would do wonders to people that normally just don't want, or just don't have the required abilities (my mom / dad, my children, etc...) to enjoy this marvellous thing properly.

The way I see, the more people we could bring to appreciate things like this, the more good such a wonderful tool will make. Present the grandiosity of the universe to people that otherwise wouldn't have the chance, and let them play and wonder with that so much beauty, seems to me like a primary goal for a project like this, IMHO.

Tried last night again, in VR, and still no joy to make my X360 fell "just right". And feels like its by too little to get there...

philipp marx
Observer
Observer

01 Aug 2020 07:52

I have an idea weather on planets like thunderstorms rain storms and wind noise

HapNStance
Observer
Observer

25 Sep 2020 21:40

In reply to Mosfat's post of 22 Dec 2019, adding "tardis" to the in-game console worked.  Thanks a lot for the tip.  I used it when making a video several months ago.  I have not used the Flight Simulator since, but was going to give it a try again today, but noticed the "reverse time" button wasn't there.  Checked to see if "tardis" was still in the in-game console.  It was.  Any ideas why it's not working now?  Thanks again.

Scienceboy999
Observer
Observer

08 Oct 2020 09:20

Hello. I have noticed a problem with the maffei group of galaxies. It appears as if Maffei 1 and Maffei 2 were incorrectly placed, as they are hundreds of millions of lightyears behind the rest of the group, but in the correct direction.