Ultimate space simulation software

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

08 Jan 2018 02:38

http://www.fracterra.com/FunWithWilburVol1/index.html

Space engine could really use an erosion filter for more complex, accurate terrain :D
I found this erosion technique, maybe it's faster than simulating water flow.
http://arches.liris.cnrs.fr/publications/SIG2013.html 
Yeah, I was kinda dumb posting those links thinking they're not simulations. But there are some algorithms for terrain generation that I heard of, which I think was either posted here or in the SE development thread before. 

greenhand
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

09 Jan 2018 22:15

I'd actually love to read about them, I've found out that a lot of erosion filters simulate water or liquid erosion, by using physics to carry sediment down slopes, it's not done at run time of course, it's thousands of iterations at code time though.

Huntingknight
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

12 Jan 2018 06:48

Do you think you will ever want to add more educational tools to Space Engine? I think it would be very useful to have tools that allow more filters when exploring. For example, filtering out all randomly generated stars. I would love to be able to visualize all the stars that we know are there, and their names. This could also include a filter that allows you to only show stars from certain constellations, or only show stars visible with the naked eye on Earth. This would be the same with galaxies and such. I was also wondering if you could add galaxy clusters to the selection pointer. It can be rather difficult to visualize and find galaxy clusters that we know of that are in Space Engine.

Loving this engine more and more with every update!

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

12 Jan 2018 15:16

You already have the option to turn off procedural stars and planets, F4 or shift F4, (not alt F4 lol)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Huntingknight
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

14 Jan 2018 12:22

You are right. Thank you

kham132
Astronaut
Astronaut

14 Jan 2018 19:06

Would it be possible to add that band of clouds at the equator on procedural planets?

LucasAstro
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

17 Jan 2018 15:36

Hello! I would like to suggest the ability to select 2 objects and it would show angular separation (Standard like it goes from arcseconds to arcminutes to degrees that stuff) (I would like to add that I suggest this for the separation from your viewpoint, just in case there are any confusions)

Thanks!

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

18 Jan 2018 05:11

The idea seems nice since that would allow to make naviagation using trigonometry (a fun game for nerds like me). But you can just do this now by  making the FOV as tiny as to put both stars in the two extremes or your screen (you would have to rotate as to make the conecting line parallel to the bottom side of the screen), the value you are searching for is the FOV value.

LucasAstro
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

18 Jan 2018 07:31

The idea seems nice since that would allow to make naviagation using trigonometry (a fun game for nerds like me). But you can just do this now by  making the FOV as tiny as to put both stars in the two extremes or your screen (you would have to rotate as to make the conecting line parallel to the bottom side of the screen), the value you are searching for is the FOV value.
Well say you are measuring the angular separation of Jupiter and Venus, how would you know the separation without zooming in and out and repositioning your camera constantly if you go fast in time acceleration?

Himself
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

23 Jan 2018 18:32

One thing I though might be interesting is star-planet barycenters for cases of gas giants orbiting low-mass stars. Considering that gas giants basically form a continuum with brown dwarfs. Perhaps there could even be binary systems of a brown dwarf and gas giant/sub-brown dwarf.
It's possible to build systems like that, but it would be fun to find them in procedural systems.
scr00036.jpg
I made this one with a ~3.2 Jupiter mass planet that was originally procedurally generated around the star.

ngx
Observer
Observer

24 Jan 2018 03:50

I don't know if somebody already suggested, would it be possible to add atmospheric friction visual effects for descending ships? Not necessarily matching the ship model shape, just some bright haze appearing when atmosphere is becoming dense could be enough.

tornadotodd
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

24 Jan 2018 17:29

I don't know if somebody already suggested, would it be possible to add atmospheric friction visual effects for descending ships? Not necessarily matching the ship model shape, just some bright haze appearing when atmosphere is becoming dense could be enough.
Maybe it could be accomplished with an effect similar to the bounding boxes now used for engine exhaust. Which in the editor already can change height, width, and length.
But I am sure that its proper implications are in the works 

Himself
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

05 Feb 2018 18:36

Another thing I'd like to see is the ability to export ring textures. I know you can export the general parameters such as radii and brightness, but it doesn't capture the color or distribution of gaps. I know you can create your own files (I simply copied and edited Saturn's rings from the catalog), but it would be nice if you find the perfect procedural rings and want to use them.

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

10 Feb 2018 20:19

For the Space Engine Game, one thing that might help reduce repetitiveness in single player/offline modes, would be AI bots/NPC's that the Player could either explore with or fight with upon summoning or assigning to a ship or fleet. :)
Specs: STGAubron desktop PC; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2 12 GB Vram, Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz, 12 cpus; 32 GB RAM; Windows 11 x64

evildrganymede
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

13 Feb 2018 21:12

As far as I can see aurorae are all the same colour regardless of atmospheric composition - since the atmosphere is explicitly generated in SE would it be possible to have the colour of aurorae vary depending on the constituent gases?