Ultimate space simulation software

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

22 Aug 2018 13:15

Otherwise without my own ability to create in game content, I know with absolute certainty that I will get bored quickly, delete the game, wandering off never to return.
Okay then.

Fuzzbutt043
Observer
Observer

22 Aug 2018 13:57

I think that a good addition for the game would be to add astronomical maps. For example, I picked out a planet for an event me and my friends did in a game, and I want to make a map of the planet, but it is so hard! If there was a button that you can press and it gives you a flat map, then I can take a snapshot of it, it would be very helpful! I think it would be a great quality-of-life addition to the game (Which would fit greatly with the upcoming update)
People can never understand how big space is, and how small it is at the same time

Wiktor120
Observer
Observer

25 Aug 2018 13:15

Make the Magellanic Clouds less flat. I know you can do that.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

25 Aug 2018 14:30

I know you can do that.
Making a procedurally generated irregular galaxy without a specific form is one thing. Right now Magellanic Clouds are based on photos, though, and making a mod of it from images, maybe involving multiple layers in order to have a final 3D shape, that's no simple task, completely different. Kudos to anyone trying that.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

dligac
Observer
Observer

08 Sep 2018 09:40

Hey guys, I'm interested in making HDRI skyboxes for 3D software (mainly blender) to be used as lighting environment. The problem is, you need multiple exposure screenshots to merge it into HDRI image however space engine does not export with any EXIF data about exposure and the exposure values in the game are rather arbitrary and not really usable when merging photos. I would really appreciate if there was a way to export screenshots with EXIF information of exposure value attached. Or if anyone knows any workaround or mod or something please let me know.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

08 Sep 2018 10:02

If there was a button that you can press and it gives you a flat map, then I can take a snapshot of it, it would be very helpful!
You mean like: selecting the planet, pressing Shift-F2, pressing "export textures" and choosing "surface" as layer, "cylindrical" as projection, then clicking "export" is too hard?
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

nekalvikamberi
Observer
Observer

09 Sep 2018 01:21

I suggest you to add trees for plantes and if you can add even some grass and a building script to build on the planets some stations.That would be great if we cold play within those features.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

09 Sep 2018 19:50

I suggest you to add trees for plantes and if you can add even some grass and a building script to build on the planets some stations.That would be great if we cold play within those features.
Planetary bases and buildings are already here for the next version. Although it cannot be done for v. 0.9.8.0 because there are no fixed 'spots' on planetary surfaces, once v.0.9.9.0 comes out there will be a ton of mods for that sort of thing (I hope). Flora of all kinds are also planned, but not for any upcoming version, as it is time-consuming to implement even 2D sprite-type grasses, so it is not top priority for now.
Futurum Fusionem

Fuzzbutt043
Observer
Observer

12 Sep 2018 16:40

[quote="Mosfet"][quote="Fuzzbutt043"][post]22259[/post] If there was a button that you can press and it gives you a flat map, then I can take a snapshot of it, it would be very helpful![/quote]
You mean like: selecting the planet, pressing Shift-F2, pressing "export textures" and choosing "surface" as layer, "cylindrical" as projection, then clicking "export" is too hard?[/quote]

The issue is, I have tried this, and by trying several iterations of the different types of maps, and when I attempted to make a map of the Earth, the result was... beyond disappointing. It would be an understatement to say it looked nothing like Earth no matter what way you face it. It would be nice if there was an easy way to display the map of a planet without having to mess with settings and get a layout that is not even remotely similar to the one I was looking for.
People can never understand how big space is, and how small it is at the same time

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

12 Sep 2018 18:29

The issue is, I have tried this, and by trying several iterations of the different types of maps, and when I attempted to make a map of the Earth, the result was... beyond disappointing.
Unfortunately, you can not export textures of the earth!
The texture that you get when you try it is the sight of the earth as if it had been produced procedurally.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

albertbanta
Observer
Observer

15 Sep 2018 11:33

I was thinking of a more specific automatic general procedure of an object. For example, terrestrial planets (terra) ; 0.0123 - 0.80 earth masses will be classified as "Subterra",
0.80 - 1.40 earth masses are “Terra”, 1.40 - 10.0 earth masses are “Superterra” and solid planets with mass of more than 10 times to that of earth will be classified as “Megaterra”. A gas/ice giant with a mass of <10.0 earths are called “GasDwarf” or “MiniNeptune”. Also add planet classes like “LavaPlanet”

albertbanta
Observer
Observer

15 Sep 2018 12:17

I would like to suggest about the physical characteristics of the planet. Adding tags about the composition of the lithosphere and/or hydrosphere of the planet might seem interesting. In lithosphere the main composition elements would be; Iron (Fe), Nickel (Ni), Silicon (Si), Carbon (C), Oxygen (O), Hydrogen (H), Helium (He), Aluminum (Al), Magnesium (Mg), Calcium (Ca), Potassium (K), Sulfur (S) and Sodium (Na). In the hydrosphere, the supported liquids will be Water (H2O), Sodium Chloride (NaCl), Methane (CH4), Nitrogen (N2), Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Helium (He), and Oxygen (O2).

albertbanta
Observer
Observer

15 Sep 2018 12:29

I was thinking of adding more supported gases for the atmospheric composition. Gases like C6H6, Cl, F, H2SO4, Na, K, Ca, Fe, Mg...
Also adding more types of nebula like “Emission”, “Reflection”, “Dark”, “Protoplanetary”, and “Herbig-Haro Object”

albertbanta
Observer
Observer

15 Sep 2018 12:32

I need help for the compatibility of this program, i would like for an update that will be more compatible to lenovo and acer laptops, because the program has problems of incompatibility with the device... That's all

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

25 Sep 2018 01:53

I thought I'd repost this from here, as it is pertinent for either thread. It is a proposed generator system for extraterrestrial life in SE, without actually rendering the alien life in 3D.

Portraying extraterrestrial life in SE should be within scientific reason, encompassing our best guesses of what extraterrestrial life might be like (obviously this will change as science progresses), at all possible taking a conservative stance on such subjects like intelligent life. It is a simulator after all. I mean, if alien civilizations were all so common and it was so easy to get to K2 or 3, surely one of them would have a galaxy-spanning civilization that even a backwater world like ours could detect by their activity alone. That is the Fermi Paradox after all, but I digress.

The main aim of my idea for SE would be to:

a) describe alien life on a planet to as much a level of detail as possible, without actually modelling their physical appearance.

and

b) to program that description to be realistic within the framework of the planet's environment and position relative to its region in space. For example, complex multicellular life would have a filter applied to its generation code that inhibited it from being generated in a solar-system that resides in a stellar region near a supernova remnant, since it would have been knocked back into extinction by the nearby explosion and its attributed radiation dose.

This is very much an "Encyclopedia Galactica", as envisioned by Carl Sagan and his artistic associate Jon Lomburg:

Imagecs.jpg (45.42 KiB) Viewed 31 times

It would use the real chemistry and biology in the generator that made life on our planet the way it is, but subjected to the different environments and timescales found on other planets. Such discoveries like the XNAs (or Xeno-nucleic acids; alternative or alien DNA) would certainly make food for thought. Basically, it would greatly expand the already existing template for life in SE: "Temperate Terra with multicellular life (Aquatic,Terrestrial)".

Where might this entry for the planet be placed? It could go in the planetary details window, but it would interesting to have a completely separate window for this with all the info regarding the properties of the alien life in question. If no life is present on the world, then have some details as to why not (the planet is too young, it orbits to close to its sun, its sun type is wrong etc).

This new window could also have a "human habitability" rating, based off of things like the planetary atmospheric composition, mass, temperature and sun type. If anything, this would be a great addition to the game engine itself regardless of an alien life addon, since users on this forum are always asking if we humans could live on this 'rad new planet they discovered'.

The most common type of life could probably be carbon-based, water-thalassogenic abiogenesis-generated unicellular or simplistic multicelllar life, for the simple fact that it is what exists on Earth, the only planet we know for sure has life. Stick to what you know after all. Much more rare are non-H2O solvent life-forms (ex. ethane for low-temperature environments), utilizing a different element matrix for their biology (ex. silicones for high temperature environments). This would be that 'exotic' life we always find on SE titan-like worlds. Theorectical yes, but Titans with life were already in SE to begin with and the game would be lacking without them Image.

Perhaps also intelligent life would be rare, and rarer still is advanced life that has become space-faring. The fast-disappearing ruins of extinct civilizations may be the most players will encounter for a long time. 

With all this info, a user interface would be useful. Players could edit how common life is for them in their SE, and even have the classic 'space opera' type universe. I believe you can already sort of do this with SE.

Sigh. When all is said and done, my attempt to simplify the issue of alien life as portrayed in Space Engine to something short of actually modelling the ETs appears to be just as complex, if not more so. In my want for an avoidance of a nightmarish No Mans Sky life-form generator (*shudders*), I may have fallen into the trap of demanding an impossibility from the SpaceEngineer and any future programmers he hires for the official release of the game. I know things like this are on the To-Do list, but I thought the very least I could do is offer a concept that I would love to see implemented into the game. And in the end, it is just that, a concept. I wish I had more expertise with creating mods for SE. If I did, I would start the epic task of programming something like this myself right now.  
Futurum Fusionem