Ultimate space simulation software

Nahor
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

16 Nov 2017 23:27

Cesare, 2150
And there you go, someone giving a precise date that will never be met. And on top of that, taking the cowardly way since he won't be there to take responsibility when the deadline is missed.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

16 Nov 2017 23:56

And there you go, someone giving a precise date that will never be met. And on top of that, taking the cowardly way since he won't be there to take responsibility when the deadline is missed.
Whoa man I plan to live forever and AI will finish it for cyborg Vladimir.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

18 Nov 2017 17:58

Can a button be made for toggling spacecraft visibility on the right side panel?
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Maurício Cruz
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

18 Nov 2017 18:33

Cesare, Nop

XBrain130, The measure of light-speed not could be measure in nurbers of continuation of the real light speed, but in percents Examples: >LS = Light Speed< (1% - LS; 50% - LS; 0.001% - LS; 99.9% - LS) etc... To measure in a universal form. And, when that measure aproxim of 100%, the speed in near to pass the universe whitout seing at anithing (relativity law)
Pluto taught us at least how creative the universe could be (DOCUMENTARY)

XBrain130
Explorer
Explorer

18 Nov 2017 19:45

XBrain130, The measure of light-speed not could be measure in nurbers of continuation of the real light speed, but in percents Examples: >LS = Light Speed< (1% - LS; 50% - LS; 0.001% - LS; 99.9% - LS) etc... To measure in a universal form. And, when that measure aproxim of 100%, the speed in near to pass the universe whitout seing at anithing (relativity law)
whatever you wrote, it doesn't make sense. I'm pretty sure people would rather have many officially-established units of speed alternating between each other accordingly than a made up one that they would have to look up in case they want to know what the number they are looking at actually means.
This is not Star Trek, we do not need Warp Levels in order to hide the fact we're going at the speed of plot.
SpaceEngine's Italian Discord server: https://discord.gg/NhQbEbC

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Nov 2017 05:11

Can a button be made for toggling spacecraft visibility on the right side panel?
Right now a cockpit camera carefully positioned could achieve the same result
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

19 Nov 2017 06:27

the speed in near to pass the universe whitout seing at anithing
Please can you reword this?
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

19 Nov 2017 13:01

Mosfet, I mean if you're not piloting the ship
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Nov 2017 17:11

Hornblower, I'm afraid I fail to see the use for it, then. Could you describe the scenario in which this toggling feature would be used?
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

19 Nov 2017 18:17

Hornblower, I'm afraid I fail to see the use for it, then. Could you describe the scenario in which this toggling feature would be used?
When the Klingons want to sneak up on a federation ship, of course. ;)
(Sorry, couldn't resist. I'd like to know the real answer, too.)

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

19 Nov 2017 20:41

Mosfet, In the new version of SpaceEngine, there are surface bases. I am planning on releasing a new mod for the Apollo landing sites, and turning off the spaceships (surface bases) would allow people to just use the textures without uninstalling the ships.

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

20 Nov 2017 16:13

Now that we have interstellar planets wouln't interstellar comets and asteroids be an interesting addition?
I know its quite useless (since probable would make the engine slower when loading and since you woulnd't really have the tools to search for them in the first place right now). In principle this is like that, pointless. But let me convince you with some arguments.

Realism argument:
Interstellar minor bodies exist (weonly have observed one but we know that they have to exist). According to this research paper there has to be around 1 trillion comets per cubic parsec in interstellar space. And accordign to this one there could be 10 times more density of interstellar comets. So SpaceEngine, having realism as a central idea, should have this feature one day.

"They are here" argument:

Not only we now know that these objects can be crossing stellar systems (maybe I could go to Sirius and see an interstellar asteroid traversing between the planets), but also there is now an estimate of the density of objects like the one detected currently in our Solar System. 300.000 interstellar asteroids could be right now inside the orbit of V774104 (~100 AU from the Sun). These objects could be illuminated in Space Engine because they are travelling through the Solar System as any other object but with random and extreme trajectories.

Historic landmark argument:
Now that we know about an interstellar visitor to the Solar System it would be awesome to have part of it's path represented in SE (maybe some thousand years in the past and future) so as to reenact the historic flyby. Also there are ideas to chase it so why not make people try it with space probes in SE?. As a planetarium we should include things like this for educational purposes.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Extra fun fact!
We have determined the aproximate shape of the interstellar object that came a few days ago. It is elongated been 180x30x30 meters. The European Southern Observatory has released this artistic impression of the object. Quite alien right?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Nov 2017 17:15

Hornblower, now I see your point, thanks.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Nov 2017 02:59

Extra fun fact!
We have determined the aproximate shape of the interstellar object that came a few days ago. It is elongated been 180x30x30 meters. The European Southern Observatory has released this artistic impression of the object. Quite alien right?
As I said here:
It is Rama (Rendezvous with Rama).
It is Rama!

Okay, maybe it's a bit too small for Rama.
But quite obviously it is a spaceship.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Maurício Cruz
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

21 Nov 2017 17:44

longname, the relativit law suppose to: When the object, or people, move trought the universe next the light speed, can't see anything, because the light is the instantanily speed and impossible to move more fast than it. Than, walk in this speed, is the same to walk instantanily thought the universe... And this losted time could for example, be losted in any walk in a percent next the light-speed...
Pluto taught us at least how creative the universe could be (DOCUMENTARY)