Ultimate space simulation software

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

24 Sep 2017 10:31

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Wiktor120
Observer
Observer

24 Sep 2017 13:04

Is the Large Magellanic Cloud really that flat? I think you should have that fixed.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Sep 2017 13:43

That's one of many possibilities for modders to help, by adding or making better Deep Space Objects.
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

programram
Observer
Observer

25 Sep 2017 01:31

This is probably a stretch but this is a suggestions topic so might as well, I would love to see more sounds and a more realistic "ish" atmospheric entry now I say ish because I feel its a tad slow to get into the atmo and for newer players using the in game ships can be a little daunting trying to understand how it works for me it took me awhile I thought for ages that you couldnt move it and I gave up on them until I came back and understood how to do it.

Wiktor120
Observer
Observer

30 Sep 2017 12:03

Irregular and interacting galaxies should not be flat. 

Terran
Astronaut
Astronaut

05 Oct 2017 09:12

(Sorry for long post, if a mod wants to put this in a spoiler to save space, feel free to do so, I dont know how) Hey, just throwing this out there. I understand the current problems associated with simulating life, the whole realism things seems to be lacking in almost every example. I have a suggestion to fix this; trees, not the literal trees but just a branching structure that could be used to simulate organic evolution in earthlike enviroments. Procedural realistic traits are dropped down the tree and is modified at each point, this tree also corresponds to geological distance from point of abiogenisis (allowed to loop back unto itself). This diversity is also modified by local traits. A planetary diversity that I have yet to see be executed properly. Worried about keeping track of everything? Have population waves of probability of t amount of time and based on population migration speed, and an array of individual identities only chosen from upon observation, this works for simulating cities of humans too without the need for tracking individuals. Sorry this is a long post and as I am not much of a programmer (I do more with the math) this my not work given limitations of space engine, possibly anyways.
To reality, through nothing, from un-everything.

Reapreign
Observer
Observer

05 Oct 2017 16:49

With the new hydrosphere system incoming, maybe an indicator how much surface is covered in land/sea as a percentage (only for planets with seas obviously)?

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer

05 Oct 2017 18:20

With the new hydrosphere system incoming, maybe an indicator how much surface is covered in land/sea as a percentage (only for planets with seas obviously)?
Yes, this.

beyondsight
Observer
Observer

05 Oct 2017 18:44

Since Space Engine is a education software, it would be nice if you could pass the marker on a piece of info a describe what is. For example:
 "Discovery method: transit" - "The transit disovery method is when telescopes measure the fluctuations of brightness of a star in extended periods of time to see a planet passing in front of it".

"CH4" - "Methane".

"ESI" - "Earth Similarity Index".

And so on.
Seconding this, especially for the elements.

gamadh
Astronaut
Astronaut

05 Oct 2017 19:52

would it be possible to have a simpler option to add songs in SE?
In such a hostile universe it is not necessary be the center to be special, just be alive

beyondsight
Observer
Observer

05 Oct 2017 23:18

Doesn't the music just need to be in .ogg format and added in the context file?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

06 Oct 2017 04:55

Yep. If added in a addons/music folder works like a charm, with a custom context file or not.
Well, a context file editor could be a nice addition in future.

gamadh
Astronaut
Astronaut

06 Oct 2017 12:57

yes, but it is necessary to convert the file to .ogg, and this is complicated
In such a hostile universe it is not necessary be the center to be special, just be alive

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

07 Oct 2017 10:28

Could we have a RotationOffset for Clouds tags because if we edit the RotationOffset of the planet, clouds layers don't follow the surface layer and for my mods is problematic because I create the texture of the clouds with paint.NET for that the cloud is precisely at this point and in Space Engine, it is unpacked. The only way for now would be that I change the RotationOffset of the planet but it would be more "synchronized" with the UTC time of the Earth (because in my case, the UTC time of the planet follows Earth's also has a 24-hour sidereal day).

PS : I don't know if it is a bug or is normal so I post this suggestion.
► Information

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

09 Oct 2017 13:01

I would like to see more diversity in irregular galactic models as seen in Krexitt's galaxy mod. (Would be using it but it causes crashes for me) But I am also aware that this probably wont happen until galaxies are procedurally generated.
My System.
ASrock B250 Motherboard, I7 7700, GTX 1080 8gb, 16 GB DDR4 2400 mhz