Ultimate space simulation software

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

20 Jan 2020 04:24

1. Please add SpaceEngine information information from English( not Russian) Wikipedia for each object with possibility of translation to another (including Russian ) language (as reproduced in google chrome browser) as the English Wikipedia is the most complete object information. 
2. add links to the English Wikipedia and others to the information on each object.this is necessary so that you can immediately go to the browser with a translator to the English Wikipedia site from the object program, then translate it into Russian(or another language), if necessary, and read the information.
The developer already said he doesn't have rights to put Wikipedia's articles on his program, but I don't know if situation changed.
3. Please add the chemical composition of the objects
Which composition? There is already atmosphere composition and sea composition. The composition of the planet itself is what defines its tag (terra/neptunia/jupiter/etc).
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

kandedong
Observer
Observer

27 Jan 2020 09:35

Please add a way to toggle comet and asteroid orbits directly via the keyboard or indirectly via a script.

Under RENDERING COMMANDS I only found Hide/Show Orbits, but nothing like Hide/Show CometsOrbits.

SpacePioneer
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

27 Jan 2020 12:04

Like how we have the choice of other units, could we have an option for Degrees/Minutes/Seconds <-> Decimal Degrees <-> Radians (maybe?) labeled "Angles" or something like that?
Search the skies for a new home
As the old one burns
In ashen skies and firey night
The void my only savior
I, am the lone, space pioneer.

CPU: AMD Ryze Threadripper 2970WX, GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64 GB RAM, 4 Drives (2 1TB SSDs, 2 4TB HDDs)

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Jan 2020 12:25

Please add a way to toggle comet and asteroid orbits directly via the keyboard or indirectly via a script.
Try 'ShowOrbitsComets'!
(Or 'ShowOrbitsAsteroids' for asteroids.)
These are switches. They turn the orbits on when they are off and off when they are on.
(You can enter these commands in the console (~).)
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Paradox Anomaly
Observer
Observer

28 Jan 2020 01:14

I was thinking what if there was a way to update a planet settings, mainly time of date, already saved via a resave option. This may also be a way to change the picture of the planet saved as well. This way the name doesn't have to be deleted and rewritten a few dozen of times before you get everything right.

kandedong
Observer
Observer

28 Jan 2020 02:43

Try 'ShowOrbitsComets'!
(Or 'ShowOrbitsAsteroids' for asteroids.)
These are switches. They turn the orbits on when they are off and off when they are on.
(You can enter these commands in the console (~).)
Thank you JackDole, that's exactly what I was looking for! Can you maybe guide me to a list of all existing commands?

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

28 Jan 2020 07:49

Can you maybe guide me to a list of all existing commands?
You can find all script commands and parameters here:
http://spaceengine.org/manual/making-ad ... o-scripts/
(The two commands/parameters mentioned can be found in the 'Variables' section.)
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Brett001
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

28 Jan 2020 08:26

In the wiki the name of the compound should be indicated in brackets next to the chemical formula.
 example: H[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub](Sulfuric acid). 
My meteorological website: http://www.weather-szolnok.hu/template
My PC: CPU: Intel i5-6500| RAM:16GB (2x8) DDR4| VGA: Gigabyte GTX960 4GB VRAM| Monitor:Dell U2713H

Paradox Anomaly
Observer
Observer

29 Jan 2020 03:13

I noticed how the universe map seems very cluttered with just how vast outer space is naturally and how overwhelmed that would make us feel. So i was thinking that if there was a way to mark certain places and view them via the universe map, especially if all you want to see are earth like planets for example, it would make it much easier on the eyes. Furthermore, if you can separate these highlighted areas into separate custom groups it would make it even better. It would really fit if this mechanic was called highlight since that is what it essentially is being done. I know that when i myself look at the universe map i start to get a massive headache.

Also i would really like it if there was a faster way to copy the name of a star, planet, moon, etc. directly rather than having to do it manually would make my life easier. A good way to solve this was if there was a option to copy name to clipboard so that we can paste that wherever we need it pasted to. 

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

29 Jan 2020 18:26

Paradox Anomaly, copy-paste works, even if there is no visual hint.
* select the object you want to copy
* press F3
* select the "Current" button, the name will appear in the search field
* press Ctrl + C to copy into the clipboard, then you can use Ctrl + V wherever you want.

Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V work also If you need to input a name in the search field from another source, just as usual.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

SpacePioneer
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

30 Jan 2020 08:09

Speaking of copy+paste, I think it'd be best to just allow any parameter of a body to be copied, like they were suggesting about the names. I'd definitely have uses for that.
Search the skies for a new home
As the old one burns
In ashen skies and firey night
The void my only savior
I, am the lone, space pioneer.

CPU: AMD Ryze Threadripper 2970WX, GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64 GB RAM, 4 Drives (2 1TB SSDs, 2 4TB HDDs)

Paradox Anomaly
Observer
Observer

05 Feb 2020 18:16

Paradox Anomaly, copy-paste works, even if there is no visual hint.
* select the object you want to copy
* press F3
* select the "Current" button, the name will appear in the search field
* press Ctrl + C to copy into the clipboard, then you can use Ctrl + V wherever you want.

Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V work also If you need to input a name in the search field from another source, just as usual.
Thanks for the tip
SpacePioneer:Speaking of copy+paste, I think it'd be best to just allow any parameter of a body to be copied, like they were suggesting about the names. I'd definitely have uses for that.
What if a copy column to clipboard symbol was added to the left of each named column in star browser. This way if you want to copy all 10,000 or some number below 10,000 you would be able to export those names/Etc. just with one click.

Paradox Anomaly
Observer
Observer

06 Feb 2020 17:50

Another way to do the copy column to clipboard idea i recently mentioned is to create a dropdown menu that appears after right clicking on the specific column desired(the part you use to sort the order). Furthermore, there is a chance to also apply this idea in the other parts of space engine as well.

CJYarborough
Observer
Observer

07 Feb 2020 13:16

Automated Velocity In Relation To The Nearest Object

I'm curious to see if there's interest in implementing a feature into Space Engine that could be toggled where the velocity of you (your camera or ship) can accelerate or decelerate through automation dependent on your immediate surroundings.

For example, if you have this switched on, when you approach say a star within a galaxy that you just entered (having just traveled from another galaxy), your velocity would gradually and smoothly adjust down to a relatively appropriate one for star to star travel. Then, if you approach a star even closer, the same deceleration effect would engage again for a more appropriately-set velocity for planet to planet travel.

Inversely, travelling outwardly out of one solar system with the intent of seeking out another solar system that is parented by a different star, automation would again engage to gradually and smoothly increase the velocity to an appropriately-set value. And so...the further you travel across increasingly larger objects, the greater the velocity increases and vice versa.

[EDIT: Simply put, the greater the distance between objects, the higher the velocity. The lesser the distance between objects, the lower the velocity. And when you get REALLY close to objects, the velocity dives down fast, preventing what would otherwise be an abrupt stop/impact/jolt/hault.] This could be a fourth mode of travel like the "free," "spaceship," or "aircraft" modes; call it "automated."

I think this would be a great addition to Space Engine because of the heightened travel-immersion, especially for the great potential in stylishly smooth fly-bys of celestial objects.

Thoughts?
I love me some f****** space.

Fiery Phoenix
Observer
Observer

11 Feb 2020 13:12

Would be great to have more composition choices for atmospheres and oceans. I created a chlorine planet and wanted it to have oceans of hydrochloric acid (HCl), but to my disappointment, the compound isn't supported in the current version, so I couldn't finish the planet.