Ultimate space simulation software

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

Astronaut System

16 Dec 2016 23:09

You could do something like this with the ship docking system.  Use a low thrust on an astronaut model, add a docking port to a ship, and get in and out of the ship and explore surfaces.  When I get back to my pc I will look into it.
Sounds interesting, but the same could be done for land vehicles too  ;)
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

18 Dec 2016 03:44

I would like to specify if it will have a better rendering for the shadows. For the moment the shadow of the object is bassed on the shape of the object (sphere) and not by the bump map and diffuse map and also that the ships do not shadow on the planet and if one is on a celestial bodie with atmosphere, there is no "effect" and there are no hidden by the clouds if the object is behind :
scr00001.jpg
There aren't no eclispe while the suns of the system are hidden behind the ship Magma and the shis aren't hidden by the clouds, the water (for boe hidden in the bottom) and aren't "effect" of the atmosphere
► Information

mymane
Observer
Observer

Remote Control Commands OSC

23 Dec 2016 15:23

Hi there,

really a nice "game"!
Would like to send commands from my controller via midi or osc to space engine
or is there something similar?

I have keyboardshortcuts like goto earth on one btn of my controller. It opens the
console, type the command and press enter, final close the window again.
So it would be nice not to see the window and typing.

Maybe also setting a keyboard key like "d" to a "command" would be awesome.

Thanks

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

23 Dec 2016 16:47

mymane, there is already a thread here for making suggestions (which is what I think you're doing?).

Such a thing is impossible right now, and it can't be created as a mod either since there's no way to hook into the program as it's running. But it sounds like it could be easily implemented (assign a button to a particular script file, when button is pressed, SE loads the script and executes). Maybe it will make it into the next release, as a lot of script improvements are coming.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

mymane
Observer
Observer

25 Dec 2016 07:29

Yeah. I would love to help with osc or midi command interface. ;)

Also assign a button to a particular script file would be really nice!
Maybe first like this. Set button in settings this will always try to load example.sc

Thanks a lot!

KChamp
Observer
Observer

26 Dec 2016 21:08

Suggestion: Add docking lights/lighting.  Docking with the mothership is one of the more challenging navigation tasks.  It's entirely possible, after you get the hang of it, to dock completely in the blind, using only the HUD numerical information, but it becomes much easier when you can actually see the dock.  This makes docking when on the dark side of a planet a particular challenge.  Adding some sort of lighting that illuminates the dock, or some running lights/docking lights for the shuttles, would make it much easier on the pilots.  

Thanks! Keep up the great work.   

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Dec 2016 07:30

Fortunately there are docking corridors! This needs a small change in default ship emission textures, but it's totally feasible, I agree.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Destructor1701
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

27 Dec 2016 10:32

Suggestion:

Currently, as you bring the camera near a planet manually, you remain following the last object you left until you are within a few tens of kilometres of the surface (or maybe it's a percentage of the planet's radius of the surface or something), whereupon you suddenly snap into following that planet.

I like to play with the gamepad a lot, and I adore flying between objects Gly apart in one smooth motion. When I get to my target planet, though, I will be fighting the "follow" of the departure object to keep station with the destination object. Then, when I get within that few-tens-of-km threshold, I am suddenly switched to "follow" the destination object, which usually results in my inputs (which were fighting to keep pace with the destination) catapulting me into the ground before I can react.

I suggest that that change of "follow" target for the camera in Free Flight, Aircraft and Spacecraft camera modes be changed from an instantaneous switch-over to more of a gradual sync-up with the nearby object's motion.

I don't want it so gradual that I don't notice it happening - I love that Space Engine makes it clear that planets are orbiting different stars at different speeds, ranges, directions, and rotation rates - but I would like to be able to react to the change before I get buried in the landscape 0.01 seconds after dropping below the Karman line.

I know some people want a gradual transition that would mask the little difficulties introduced by things like differing planetary motion. If you're willing to lose the insight provided by that sensation of different motion, you could have a slider control how abrupt the transition is from following one object to another.
At the extreme end of the scale, your "follow", unless explicitly selected inside the presently local system, would be an average of all the objects in range, sorted by distance and heavily weighted towards the nearest objects. I would rarely use this end.
At the other end, it could transition to the local object's motion over the course of 1->5% of the object's radius when within 20% of an object's radius (for example - substituting the accurate numbers for what's presently happening).

Another option for doing this would be to keep the snap, but preserve the relative speed and direction of the camera with the new follow destination across the transition, and then re-centre the controls on the new "follow" target once input ceases. Example, I'm approaching a planet, pass through the threshold, and my HUD-displayed "Following" thingy changes to the nearby planet. However, the camera doesn't change its motion relative to the destination until I let go of the stick or let-up on the keys. Until then, the centre point of the controls is temporarily offset by the difference between the departure "follow" and the destination "follow". That way, I could cross the boundary without catapulting, and then come to a stop gently. That sounds a little more unintuitive than the other way.

If I understand correctly, it's just a matter of doing a little math on the vector variables for the camera's "rest state" versus nearby objects, right?

----------------------------------------------

One other suggestion: The splash screen tends to freeze and act like it has crashed if you click on it. If you leave it, it will load up just fine, but Windows may throw up a appcrash message until it does load up. That could be generating some false alarm crash reports and user dissatisfaction among the less-patient. It also makes the program appear less-polished than it is otherwise. If there is some way of simply handling mouse clicks on the splash screen without hanging the splash, it would be a good "user confidence" improvement.

----------------------------------------------

Kchamp, I second the call for running lights. They will be useful, but they also just look cool.

I remember hearing that Space Engineer didn't want to implement shipboard lights (originally including emissive textures) until he could do proper volumetric self-illumination from them - meaning you could place lights on the ship that would illuminate the hull, but also that the emissive textures would splash-light the hull of their own ship and any nearby ships (important in deep space or in eclipse shadows).

That sounds computationally insanely expensive - but I see game engines doing that now, like Frostbite, UE4, and whatever Elite: Dangerous is built on. That'll be sooooo cool when it's implemented.

Speaking of model textures: Alpha blended transparency mapping, pls!
Last edited by Destructor1701 on 27 Dec 2016 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

fatherobrine99
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Dec 2016 15:17

Hey devs!, today i have some suggestions for the next update.

1st: Colonisation/City lights seen from some certain planets, like seen from earth.
      You could make the lights spawn randomly, and if there is water on the planet you could 
      generate the lights around the watersources.

2nd: Add intelligent life, as seen from the HUD:

For example: Temperate Terra with life
                    Multicellular (Marine, Terrestrial) (Intelligent)

It would be very cool if you added these features, and i would be very happy.

Ps, if you will add any of these features, please add both of them for other reasons.

Thanks for your time :)  /fat

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

27 Dec 2016 16:11

fatherobrine99, you should post suggestions here.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

LookAtDatDakka
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

27 Dec 2016 19:41

Hey devs!, today i have some suggestions for the next update.

1st: Colonisation/City lights seen from some certain planets, like seen from earth.
      You could make the lights spawn randomly, and if there is water on the planet you could 
      generate the lights around the watersources.

2nd: Add intelligent life, as seen from the HUD:

For example: Temperate Terra with life
                    Multicellular (Marine, Terrestrial) (Intelligent)

It would be very cool if you added these features, and i would be very happy.

Ps, if you will add any of these features, please add both of them for other reasons.

Thanks for your time :)  /fat

This has been suggested before: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/8-1009-1
I don't think intelligent life is likely to be implemented in the next update other than simple text because of the code needed to take account of procedural terrain and proximity to water to generate lights. Many civilization tends to be close to the water source.

scalbers
Observer
Observer

01 Jan 2017 13:54

What has been done with volumetric cloud rendering and cloud shadows?

http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic. ... t=49#p1381

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

02 Jan 2017 00:13

In this post on the old forum in October, SpaceEngineer said he was focusing on volumetric nebulae right now, but he's been receiving assistance from Duke who has also experimented with volumetric clouds on his Shadertoy page. Further information is being given on the Work progress - 0.9.8.1 thread.

scalbers
Observer
Observer

02 Jan 2017 17:06

Sounds good. I've been working for a while with 3-D clouds derived from actual weather data and making the visualizations as physically realistic as I can. My software runs slowly though I'd be interested to try and implement parts of it as shaders. 

gamadh
Astronaut
Astronaut

03 Jan 2017 10:51

If you put flora  put something similar, I do not know if this is procedural, but it would be nice to see similar flora in the space engine
In such a hostile universe it is not necessary be the center to be special, just be alive