Ultimate space simulation software

trini_gamer
Observer
Observer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

26 Mar 2017 12:03

X-Wing from Star Wars? (And I don't mean the one in the base game that is quite bad), like one with the Star Wars model? I know a few places to get the model but not sure how to get it in game with thruster animation etc.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

26 Mar 2017 22:22

http://www.fracterra.com/FunWithWilburVol1/index.html

Space engine could really use an erosion filter for more complex, accurate terrain :D

halowraith1
Observer
Observer

29 Mar 2017 17:12

are there any plans to expand the universe's size in the future?

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

29 Mar 2017 17:33

halowraith1, yes and maybe even close the universe so you can fly off in one direction and come back to where you left from.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

kham132
Astronaut
Astronaut

29 Mar 2017 23:16

Similar to what spaceguy is saying, could canyons/rivers look like this anytime soon?

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

30 Mar 2017 00:39

Similar to what spaceguy is saying, could canyons/rivers look like this anytime soon?
would also fix deltas and make rivers not look like this
Attachments
rivers.jpg

Universal_Explorer
Observer
Observer

30 Mar 2017 18:47

so Im not saying i want creatures on a planet but what about creatures in the Info panel or will that be too much?
The size of earth is a peanut to the distance of us to the closest star. There's a reason why we call it space.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

30 Mar 2017 20:30

so Im not saying i want creatures on a planet but what about creatures in the Info panel or will that be too much
Definitely would be way too hard since this simulator is based on realism. You'd need to understand the complex processes of evolution and create an algorithm for it, which I doubt is possible.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

31 Mar 2017 08:07

so Im not saying i want creatures on a planet but what about creatures in the Info panel or will that be too much?
You have to consider that Earth is home to maybe billions of creatures, which would mean that such a tab would probably fill many millions of pages at best.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Universal_Explorer
Observer
Observer

31 Mar 2017 16:40

Thanks for the replies. here are some other suggestions
1. For Terra and Titans, how bout we have a water/land/ice ration on in the info screen?
2. Rocks are getting popular for suggestion but just saying it
3. Are galactic clusters and super galactic clusters too much?
The size of earth is a peanut to the distance of us to the closest star. There's a reason why we call it space.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

01 Apr 2017 06:05

For Terra and Titans, how bout we have a water/land/ice ration on in the info screen?
Do you mean like "Planet-name, a warm terra, has 54% of its surface covered by water, 37% covered by land, and 9% covered by ice"?
Are galactic clusters and super galactic clusters too much?
The TODO list states that is implemented already, and it already generates galactic voids. However the procedural galactic clusters are not as dense as known galactic clusters.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Universal_Explorer
Observer
Observer

02 Apr 2017 12:45

For Terra and Titans, how bout we have a water/land/ice ration on in the info screen?
Do you mean like "Planet-name, a warm terra, has 54% of its surface covered by water, 37% covered by land, and 9% covered by ice"?"
yes that is what i mean!

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

02 Apr 2017 20:49

halowraith1, yes and maybe even close the universe so you can fly off in one direction and come back to where you left from.
I'd rather they add new universes with different laws of physics inside Kerr black holes (ones where we can set parameters like the speed of light and the alpha fine structure constant ourselves and create new dimensions- I run a screensaver that can simulate anywhere from 4 spatial dimensions all the way up to 11.)  Being able to simulate a second dimension of time would allow nested parallel time lines- but that may be beyond the scope of what we can do right now- I've been asking the developers at SN to do some of this stuff too as well as model what a Big Bounce would be like with a cyclic universe in the cosmic microwave background).

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

02 Apr 2017 20:54

You have to consider that Earth is home to maybe billions of creatures, which would mean that such a tab would probably fill many millions of pages at best.
How about simulating something like a tropical rain forest or a coral reef on the surface of a planet?  Or how about simulating the processes of evolution, with large animals becoming extinct by mass extinction events followed by smaller animals.  We could just use the Earth as a model and tweak things a little based on temperature and length of day and see what the computer can come up with.
Other thing I was thinking about was a life bearing planet inside a globular cluster and simulate the amazing stellar display visible from there- and showing intelligent species going insane when they see the stars- sort of like Asimov's classic Nightfall.
Does the program show stars like that when one lands on a planet inside a globular cluster? I believe a few such planets have been discovered already.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

02 Apr 2017 20:55

Thanks for the replies. here are some other suggestions
1. For Terra and Titans, how bout we have a water/land/ice ration on in the info screen?
2. Rocks are getting popular for suggestion but just saying it
3. Are galactic clusters and super galactic clusters too much?
No, galactic superclusters and supervoids are already modeled in SN so it should be possible here also.