Ultimate space simulation software

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

26 Feb 2017 09:29

Voyager wrote:
Source of the post It is possible to add ambiental sounds when you are on a planet with atmosphere?  Examples: The sound of the waves, wind, violent wind on Gas giants

If such a thing existed, it should be the default setting to disable it in my opinion, it would annoy some people, but nice idea :)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

26 Feb 2017 11:04

Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post Modelling suggests that this should be also be a linear relationship with the mass of the star, but not nearly so steep.

And this is what SE uses.

Starlight Glimmer wrote:
Source of the post Maybe the percentage for giant planets for m stars should be decreased or something?

Did you saw many gas giants near procedural M-dwarfs? Are you sure those were not ice giants?

Starlight Glimmer wrote:
Source of the post For stars like Trappist 1, there are no gas giants

We didn't discovered all planets in that system yet.

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

26 Feb 2017 12:56

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Watsisname wrote:
Source of the post Modelling suggests that this should be also be a linear relationship with the mass of the star, but not nearly so steep.

And this is what SE uses.

Starlight Glimmer wrote:
Source of the post Maybe the percentage for giant planets for m stars should be decreased or something?

Did you saw many gas giants near procedural M-dwarfs? Are you sure those were not ice giants?

Starlight Glimmer wrote:
Source of the post For stars like Trappist 1, there are no gas giants

We didn't discovered all planets in that system yet.

Hmm you certainly do have a good point. But that does not rule out, there can't be stars with no gas giants.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 Feb 2017 13:23

Starlight Glimmer wrote:
Source of the post Hmm you certainly do have a good point. But that does not rule out, there can't be stars with no gas giants.

Although the proposal to introduce a parameter like 'NoGiants true' originally comes from me, I am of the opinion that a system without at least a gas giant or ice giant is absolutely unlikely. There must be enough gas in the protoplanetary disk for at least one gas giant. Especially with a system like TRAPPIST-1, that has so many rocky planets, I'm sure that he has at least one gas giant or ice giant.
This is, of course, only my opinion.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Himself
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

26 Feb 2017 18:49

I imagine a star could potentially lose a good amount of material beyond the frost line, perhaps due to a close encounter in its nursery cluster. If binary stars are fairly common then gas giants around a low-mass star probably are not uncommon since there seems to be a continuous spectrum of gas giant --> brown dwarf --> red dwarf.
This topic does raise another question. Should future versions generate a barycenter for low-mass stars with high-mass planets?  A  very low-mass red dwarf and a Jupiter-mass planet would would have a similar mass ratio to Earth and the moon.

LordKvasir
Observer
Observer

27 Feb 2017 23:30

I thinks moons for known extrasolar planets should be procedurally generated.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity.

jasperhb
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

28 Feb 2017 16:55

Procedural trojans (asteroids in the L4/L5 points of a planet), perhaps? Definitely should have an algorithm to be generated with gas/ice giants, but probabilities would be needed to have generations with other types of planets. Dwarf planets should have an extremely low chance of having trojans, and probably would only have one or two. Maybe also make some kind of code for the relation between mass and amount of trojans.
Last edited by jasperhb on 01 Mar 2017 05:11, edited 1 time in total.

Angelica Pickles
Observer
Observer

28 Feb 2017 18:28

Vladimir, A temporary idea for 'fixing' 3d objects to a planet.

Create a another mode called 'Fix Object Mode' (Available via a new button or a console command or keyboard shortcut)

This firstly horizons the object using the already implemented 'Horizon mode' BUT then forces the 3d object to always face to the planets NORTH pole. This way when the planet rotates + orbits etc this prevents 3d objects from rotating on the spot which always looks odd especially with large 3d objects like cities etc.

Of course this will not solve the issue when you manually set a date/time or use the 'Goto' function in saved locations, this will still result in all 3d objects ending up in the middle of deep space...

AP

XBrain130
Explorer
Explorer

01 Mar 2017 10:25

Theorically speaking, how difficult would it be to implement rendering of planetary magnetospheres?
SpaceEngine's Italian Discord server: https://discord.gg/NhQbEbC

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

01 Mar 2017 10:38

XBrain130 wrote:
Source of the post Theorically speaking, how difficult would it be to implement rendering of planetary magnetospheres?

It's in the TODO list under the "Planets" category, if "Magnetic field modelling" was what you meant ;)

jasperhb wrote:
Source of the post Procedural trojans (asteroids in the L4/L5 points of a planet), perhaps? Definitely should have an algorithm to be generated with gas/ice giants, but probabilities would be needed to have generations with other types of planets. Dwarf planets should have an extremely low chance of having trojans, and probably would only have one or two. Maybe also make some kind of code for the relation between mass and amount of trojans.

Nice idea! :)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

04 Mar 2017 02:32

Can you add RotationPeriodSpeed (in celestial bodie, at the equator,in m/s or km/h), RotationPeriodSpeedAngular (in celestial bodie, at the equator, in rad/s or tr/min), PeriodSpeed (in Orbit, average, in m/s or km/h), PeriodSpeedAngular (in Orbit, average, in rad/s or tr/min) and VelocityAngular (in Clouds, at the equator, in rad/s or tr/min) ?
And it is planned in planet catalogs to have procedural object ? I.e. for example I make a single or multiple system and I want to add planet around star, or add moons around planet or other object.

Star "Starya"
{
ParentBody "Barya system"
RadSol 0.7
MassSol 0.7
Luminosity 0.7

Orbit
{
SemiMajorAxis 4.32
RefPlane "Equator"
Inclination 0
}

Generate
{
Planet 8
//PlanetMin 4
//PlanetMax 10
PlanetClass ("Rock":0.7; "Giant":0.3) //Rock (Desert, Terra, ...), Giant (GasGiant, IceGiant), value between 0 and 1
//PlanetClass ("Terra":0.2, "Life:Organic, Multicellular, Terrestrial, Maritime":0.5; "Desert":0.3, "Life":0; "IceWorld":0.2; "IceGiant":0.15; "GasGiant":0.15)
PlanetLife 0.5
//PlanetRadius 7951
PlanetRadiusMin 463
PlanetRadiusMax 7563
//PlanetMass 7.3
PlanetMassMin 0.024
PlanetMassMax 17.36
//Moon 3
MoonMin 0
MoonMax 3
}
}
Planet "Planya"
{
ParentBody "Starya"
Radius 3420
Mass 0.72
Class "Desert"
NoLife true

RotationPeriodSpeed 450 //or RotationPeriodSpeedAngular

Clouds
{
Coverage 0.42
VelocityAngular 0.01
}

Orbit
{
RefPlane "Equator"
Inclination 1.37
Eccentricity 0.0453
PeriodSpeed 1.07 //or PeriodSpeedAngular
}
Generate
{
Moon 2
}
}
► Information

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

04 Mar 2017 03:45

Quarior wrote:
Source of the postPeriodSpeedAngular (in Orbit, average, in rad/s or tr/min) 

This is called mean motion, and already supported.

Quarior wrote:
Source of the post And it is planned in planet catalogs to have procedural object ? I.e. for example I make a single or multiple system and I want to add planet around star, or add moons around planet or other object.

Yes, but this is not possible now, because of how system generation code works.

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

04 Mar 2017 05:03

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Quarior wrote:
Source of the postPeriodSpeedAngular (in Orbit, average, in rad/s or tr/min) 

This is called mean motion, and already supported.

Oh, I didn't know.
SpaceEngineer wrote:
Quarior wrote:
Source of the post And it is planned in planet catalogs to have procedural object ? I.e. for example I make a single or multiple system and I want to add planet around star, or add moons around planet or other object.

Yes, but this is not possible now, because of how system generation code works.

Ok, maybe in version 1.0.0.0 :).
Good luck for your work and have a nice day ;).
► Information

Kaue_
Observer
Observer

04 Mar 2017 09:19

is it planned to add time dilation effects in black holes? 
for example, when you are getting closer to a black hole time goes faster, of course, this would be toggleable.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Mar 2017 14:26

Is it possible to introduce a 'CASE' function and a 'RANDOM' function in the script definitions?

Example:
num = RANDOM(5)
CASE num = 1
    < some code ... >
CASE num = 2
    < some other code ... >
CASE num = 3
    < more code ... >
CASE num = 4
    < default code ... >
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)