Ultimate space simulation software

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

06 Sep 2021 11:20

Joka, this question should be placed in Troubleshooting and bug reports - 0990

Try and reinstall OpenAL, be sure to uninstall it if installed already, reboot your computer, download OpenAL from here https://www.openal.org/downloads/oalinst.zip, install it and reboot your computer again. 
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

harmonicGF3
Observer
Observer

12 Sep 2021 23:39

Would be nice to have a "reset to default" option for the settings.
Preferably a reset button for each category in settings.
(For now I'm just deleting the config file to reset).      
Discord : supersonic71#4504

Scienceboy999
Observer
Observer

14 Oct 2021 17:25

Hi. I have found a very --very-- minor bug. I was looking at some historical comets and their locations now, and I noticed that the Great Comet of 1680, AKA Kirch, AKA Newton, AKA C/1680 V1, has the texture of a hot asteroid, rather than a cold one, as would be expected given its great distance from the Sun. Not even remotely an issue, just somehting I thought I should mention. Thanks and have a great day:)

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

25 Nov 2021 14:21

This planet clearly has a nearly 90° axial tilt relative to its sun, but its stats give its axial tilt as 27°, because that's its inclination relative to its orbit around the planetary barycenter. Can barycenters be ignored when calculating axial tilt?

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

30 Nov 2021 05:50

Scienceboy999, I've seen this many times. Icy comets somehow often look like molten asteroids though it is even impossible, they would simply melt.

Julian, I doubt this can even exist irl. If it's double planet then it can't have a significant tilt because tidal force.

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

08 Dec 2021 04:58

An interesting video about computational models of plant ecosystems:

[youtube]8YOpFsZsR9w[/youtube]

Perhaps one day in the far future on SpaceEngine's Earth :)

sorgan71
Observer
Observer

24 Dec 2021 20:33

I think the VR version would benefit from changing how the controls for the stereobase work. Because right now at least, the stereobase changes relative to a specific point that makes it somewhat hard to predict where everything will end up, say if you zoom out, where the galaxy you are in will end up relative to you. I think if it was set between the controllers it would make it easy because the objects are all scaled based on where the controllers are instead.

Gunterson
Observer
Observer

20 Jan 2022 00:27

I saw this video on a new method for weather and cloud simulation, no idea if it can be incorporated into SE but it looks amazing and according to the paper runs quickly for a simulation. Seems to be able to do cumulonimbus and other hard-to-model clouds without difficulty. Would be cool if it could be applied to storms in gas giants or dust storms on Mars somehow.

beast
Observer
Observer

29 Jan 2022 07:21

Hello all, new account here so I cannot open a new topic. Just wanted to ask if there are any plans to add space engine to geforce now. I don't have a game-capable PC (and unlikely to have in the future). I use my laptop and geforce now so for me it would only work if I could play it via that service. 

mkoch
Observer
Observer

04 Feb 2022 13:38

These are my collected suggestions for improvement:
  • Messier objects are difficult to find because there is a space character between "M" and the number, which is quite unusual.
  • Saturn's ring particles are always behind S/2009 S1, never in front of it.
  • Add brown dwarfs
  • Add mergers of black holes or neutron stars
  • Saved locations don't work in flight simulator mode
  • Stars close to the black hole in center of the milky way appear too late when the observer gets closer to them
  • Nebula RN 8496-8003: Central stars appear dark red, even when the nebula is behind the stars
  • From about 2000000km distance, the moon appears brighter than the earth
  • Implement a realistic user-defined start location on earth, for example with several equirectangular drone images at height 0m, 10m, 20m, ... 100m? I would really like to start my spaceship from my own location.
  • Renaming saved locations: It should be possible to add some text to the location name. But when new text is typed in, the old text gets immediately deleted.
  • "Display" menu: What's called "Cylindrical" is in fact "Equirectangular". At least when we use the nomenclature from FFmpeg.
  • Add the Cirrus nebula = NGC 6960 and NGC 6995
  • Add the Blue snowball = NGC 7662
  • After centering the Neutron star at the center of M 1, rotating around this star doesn't work correctly (with right mouse button).
  • More details for Ina structure on the moon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ina_(crater)

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

05 Feb 2022 17:18

Saturn's ring particles are always behind S/2009 S1, never in front of it.
Only when looking towards the planet; looking away from Saturn, the rings will sort properly with that moon. It's a limitation of how the ring rendering works for now.
Add brown dwarfs
There already are brown dwarfs.
Add mergers of black holes or neutron stars
This is not possible.
Saved locations don't work in flight simulator mode
That is intentional, since changing time would mess up the locations and orbits of all spacecraft.
Nebula RN 8496-8003: Central stars appear dark red, even when the nebula is behind the stars
Stars always render behind nebulae, it is a limitation of how the engine works right now.
From about 2000000km distance, the moon appears brighter than the earth
Only in HDR mode, because there needs to be a seamless transition between rendering it as an object and as a point of light.
Implement a realistic user-defined start location on earth, for example with several equirectangular drone images at height 0m, 10m, 20m, ... 100m? I would really like to start my spaceship from my own location.
If you're saying what I think you're saying, then it doesn't make any sense.
Display" menu: What's called "Cylindrical" is in fact "Equirectangular". At least when we use the nomenclature from FFmpeg.
Equirectangular projection is also called "simple cylindrical projection".
Add the Cirrus nebula = NGC 6960 and NGC 6995
Add the Blue snowball = NGC 7662
It is impossible for us to create models for every nebula in existence. If you would like to help by making models for them and submitting them for inclusion in the program, that would be great.
After centering the Neutron star at the center of M 1, rotating around this star doesn't work correctly (with right mouse button).
I cannot reproduce the issue, it works perfectly for me.
More details for Ina structure on the moon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ina_(crater)
Adding details for specific regions of planets is not easy. It would also be totally flat, with no height variation, unless you can also find a detailed DEM (height map) for it.
[hr] Otherwise, good suggestions.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

centurion
Observer
Observer

05 Feb 2022 19:01

Hi Guys

Could we also have the Velocity Vector and Selection Pointer available in Flight Simulation mode.
It seems when you free yourself from a space craft the selections to turn them on in the tool bar do not work.

Also we seem to have an option i visual styles before where we could set star trail length or something like that so when traveling at high velocities through galaxies the stars would streak like hyperspace, this was a good effect, have I missed something as I cannot seem to set this anymore.

Thanks in advance

Richard

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

05 Feb 2022 23:56

Also we seem to have an option i visual styles before where we could set star trail length or something like that so when traveling at high velocities through galaxies the stars would streak like hyperspace, this was a good effect, have I missed something as I cannot seem to set this anymore.
There was never an option for that in the GUI, only as a console command.
Could we also have the Velocity Vector and Selection Pointer available in Flight Simulation mode.
It seems when you free yourself from a space craft the selections to turn them on in the tool bar do not work.
Selection pointer works fine for me, but yes it seems that velocity vector does not. It's probably a bug.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

mkoch
Observer
Observer

06 Feb 2022 04:07

Add brown dwarfs
> There already are brown dwarfs.
But I can't search for them in filter settings.
Implement a realistic user-defined start location on earth, for example with several equirectangular drone images at height 0m, 10m, 20m, ... 100m? I would really like to start my spaceship from my own location.
> If you're saying what I think you're saying, then it doesn't make any sense.
Well, let me say it with other words: It would be nice if the user could somehow add details of his own location on earth. For example with equirectangular 360° images. Or in any other way.

Display" menu: What's called "Cylindrical" is in fact "Equirectangular". At least when we use the nomenclature from FFmpeg.
> Equirectangular projection is also called "simple cylindrical projection".

I can't find the term "simple cylindrical projection" here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equirecta ... projection
"Cylindirical projection" is a different thing. It has a nonlinear y axis. Cylindrical projection with 180° vertical field of view is impossible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_proje ... ylindrical
What's implemented in SE is clearly an equirectangular projection with 360° horizontal and 180° vertical field of view.     

After centering the Neutron star at the center of M 1, rotating around this star doesn't work correctly (with right mouse button).
> I cannot reproduce the issue, it works perfectly for me.

Now I also can't reproduce the issue.

More details for Ina structure on the moon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ina_(crater)
> Adding details for specific regions of planets is not easy. It would also be totally flat, with no height variation, unless you can also find a detailed DEM (height map) for it.

So far I did only find a *.stl file here:
https://jarichardson.github.io/3d-models.html

Michael

mkoch
Observer
Observer

06 Feb 2022 04:14

> Adding details for specific regions of planets is not easy. It would also be totally flat, with no height variation, unless you can also find a detailed DEM (height map) for it.

So far I did only find a *.stl file here:
https://jarichardson.github.io/3d-models.html
I just saw that Jacob A. Richardson also posted a link to the data source:
https://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/view_rdr/ ... NACALDERA1
Michael