Ultimate space simulation software

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

20 Jun 2019 15:38

Have you tried double clicking CTRL-G to get to the center of the galaxy?
i9 9900K - 5.0MHz, Palit 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, Vive Pro

f2d
Observer
Observer

20 Jun 2019 19:27

[quote="Dr. Kaii"]Have you tried double clicking CTRL-G to get to the center of the galaxy?[/quote]
Not until now. It seems I overlooked some keys previously and forgot they are there.

Thanks, CTRL-G works better, I can select nearby things.

I also found "look back/left/right/etc" keys, although they function somewhat strangely.

When I hold Ctrl+Num5 with Numlock ON to look completely backward and release Num5, the look direction returns to the object by itself. But if I first release Ctrl instead, the look direction stays, and centering with C key or looking around with Ctrl+Num(number) does not work until I press any Ctrl+Num(number) again and release the number first.

Don't know if it's bug or intended, but I wanted a key that centers away and does not return by itself.

Now I also remembered trying to set both screenshot keys (with and without UI) to the same key (F12) and it did not fully work - only a screenshot with UI was saved.

Another suggestion by the way: a filter text field in hotkey config menu would be nice to have - by description (to find functions) or key combo text (to check for collisions).
PC: years old Intel i7-4770, 32 GB RAM, Radeon RX 460, 4 GB VRAM, 2560x1440 (main) + 4k (secondary), Win7x64.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

22 Jun 2019 15:27

I just want to see Nebulae and Black Holes, but it's a pain to find them. And the Star Browser can only go so far.

Can we please Sort by Type?
I can't help with black holes, but for nebulae, go to your camera settings and set the exposure of every object except for nebulae and deep sky objects to 0, whilst maxing out nebulae. Looks very pretty too.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

NathanKerbonaut
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

23 Jun 2019 08:45

I've found that the auto-horizon feature tends to pull to camera sideways. It's especially apparent when near a planet's poles and around small objects.
I like cute pokemon and space games.
My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=173
Profile pic source: https://goo.gl/JdZX5v

aFinapple
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 Jun 2019 18:55

Something that'd be cool to add is different "lenses" to see the universe, like infrared, radio, xray, gamma ray, etc. Like you'd be able to see the emissions around, say, black holes or other stars, and it'd just be a cool feature to add somewhere down the line

"You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other.”- Carl Sagan

TyphoonOfDvina
Observer
Observer

27 Jun 2019 05:18

Something that'd be cool to add is different "lenses" to see the universe, like infrared, radio, xray, gamma ray, etc. Like you'd be able to see the emissions around, say, black holes or other stars, and it'd just be a cool feature to add somewhere down the line

This, please!

aFinapple
Astronaut
Astronaut

27 Jun 2019 20:16

Another thing you could add to planets is active weather patterns. You'd be able to see a hurricane develop or see a storm rise and fall, or some kind of "other-worldly" weather pattern.
"You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other.”- Carl Sagan

darth_biomech
Observer
Observer

29 Jun 2019 19:08

I hope it's minor thing, but could we get some kind of self-shadowing on model meshes? Compared to the gorgeous planet backdrops, spaceships currently look... lacking.

Megaskizzen
Observer
Observer

01 Jul 2019 10:31

It would be nice to be able to change the time in the flight simulator. I'd like to travel space in real time. Alternatively, one could manage and pilot spaceships in the planetarium as well.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

01 Jul 2019 11:22

Megaskizzen,

main-user.cfg

Enable cheats and enable TARDIS
// Physics settings
Physics
{
    PhysicsTick   0.015        // physics iteration time (seconds)
    CheatsMenu    true        // enable cheats menu
    UFO           true        // enable unlimited thruster acceleration
    FTL           false        // enable unlimited speed
    God           true        // enable invulnerability
    Aero          false        // enable aerodynamics
    Gravity       false        // enable gravity
    Collisions    true        // enable collision detection
    TARDIS        true        // enable time travel
}
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

01 Jul 2019 14:22

I hope it's minor thing, but could we get some kind of self-shadowing on model meshes?
Well if it was a minor thing it would have been implemented already. What you are asking is essentially complex shadowing. And this is probably ehm a bit complex to implement. It will come eventually. I am hoping we may see comments about it on the work in progress thread of the forthcoming version.
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

Megaskizzen
Observer
Observer

02 Jul 2019 04:27

Megaskizzen,

main-user.cfg

Enable cheats and enable TARDIS
// Physics settings
Physics
{
    PhysicsTick   0.015        // physics iteration time (seconds)
    CheatsMenu    true        // enable cheats menu
    UFO           true        // enable unlimited thruster acceleration
    FTL           false        // enable unlimited speed
    God           true        // enable invulnerability
    Aero          false        // enable aerodynamics
    Gravity       false        // enable gravity
    Collisions    true        // enable collision detection
    TARDIS        true        // enable time travel
}
thanks chief B^]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

02 Jul 2019 17:37

how about adding stuff like trees and grass on planets that should have them and seeing them sway in the breeze?

also- is there a way to reduce the size of fonts or change their color, I want to see constellation outlines and names but dont want them to stand out so much and ruin the sky (and I dont want to see them during the day- only when the stars are visible.)

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

02 Jul 2019 17:47

SpaceEngineer, please add the information in your blog posts about creating static objects and defining triaxial ellipsoids to the "Making Addons" section of the manual.

MineCrafter473
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

03 Jul 2019 10:03

It would be nice to have a way of exporting skyboxes as Equirectangular HDRI's, also more image formats like .exr and .hdr.
CPU:Intel core i7 8700k @ 3.8Ghz
RAM:16gb ddr4-3000
GPU:RTX 2080 8gb vram
STORAGE:Samsung 512gb 970 pro m.2 ssd, 1tb ssd