Ultimate space simulation software

Permian Therapsid
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Topic Author

Procedural extrasolar asteroid moons

16 Jun 2017 05:06

My suggestions to improve the procedural generation extra solar systems.

Does SpaceEngine add procedurally generated extra solar asteroid moons/rings? If not could it be made possible for the code to generate procedural asteroid barycenters, moons and in very rare cases rings to extra solar systems? Maybe the asteroids could have a barycenter(s) with 2-3 objects or one main object and 0-3 moons?  Maybe very big 500 km sized asteroids could have even 4 or 5 moons in rare cases.

Could it also be made so that dwarf planet sized objects would usually exist in asteroid belts and that they could have orbits similar to in our Solar System's dwarf planets, so that they would be intersecting one another's orbits and have similar semi-major axis to each other.

Also it would be nice if the belts would include few (0-11?) very large asteroids similar to Vesta, Pallas and Hygiea (+400 km size), and a larger amount of about 300-100 km sized ones. Of course it would be also nice if the systems would include both, asteroid belt like belt(s) in the inner and middle system and Kuiper belt like belt on the outer regions. Could the dwarf planets and asteroids in the belts also have inclined orbits?

I have also seen rings added to quite many Terra type moons. Maybe this number of rings around them could be made smaller if possible.

Would you think this would be a good idea? Would this even be possible to add to SE? I would like to see what you think?

GS49
Observer
Observer

05 Aug 2017 21:38

Sorry for the super late reply, and also sorry if you already know by now, but this has already been added.  :)

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

05 Aug 2017 21:52

Permian Therapsid wrote:
Does SpaceEngine add procedurally generated extra solar asteroid moons/rings? If not could it be made possible for the code to generate procedural asteroid barycenters, moons and in very rare cases rings to extra solar systems? Maybe the asteroids could have a barycenter(s) with 2-3 objects or one main object and 0-3 moons?
Sorry for the super late reply, and also sorry if you already know by now, but this has already been added.
When?
Can you give an example? [hr] Edited
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

06 Aug 2017 06:03

[+] Asteroid size distribution follow exponential law, as like in Solar System, so you can find 400+ km asteroids
[+] Inner, outer asteroid belts are generated sometimes
[+] Asteroid and dwarf planet orbits are elliptical and inclined already - you can see this by showing orbits of asteroids
[-] Multiple dwarf planets in the same asteroid belt are not implemented
[-] Asteroid moons are not implemented yet
[+] Probability of rings around moons could be easily tweaked, I can add the parameter to the config

Maurício Cruz
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

06 Nov 2017 12:53

At time last I was seing to procedural asteroids around planets like jupiter and anothers gas giants...
Then in Jupiter and Saturn, the planet and moons is turning to left (seing to the top), but the asteroids moons, is turn right, I know that is the result of solar sistem formation. But in procedural planets, the planet, moons and asteroides moons is turn everthing to the saime side... Can someone explain that, or is isolated cases?
Attachments
Luas procedurais.png
Pluto taught us at least how creative the universe could be (DOCUMENTARY)

GeoPlayer123YT
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

10 May 2018 11:57

Which way are the planets orbitting? If you are taking the screenshots from different sides it might be different.