22 Jun 2017 05:13

O U T B O U N D

M A T T E R + T I M E

L E A V I N G   E D E N

E N T E R I N G   E V E R Y T H I N G

O U T   O F   U N I V E R S E

C A L L   T O   S T A R S

S O N S   O F   V O Y A G E R 1
“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.”

Herman Melville

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Topic Author

Suggestions for the Name of the SE Game

22 Jun 2017 05:19

All in all it really depends in which direction the game is going actually
Each player will control an interstellar space exploration craft ("mothership") and will explore planets and other objects around distant stars. Initially the game will be single-player (perhaps with a multi-player component via a centralized server database of object discoveries and descriptions written by players that will be visible to all). So the idea is that there will be many space exploration craft, even if each player is only able to interact with one. So it cannot be named after a ship, because there will be many ships, and the player will probably be able to name their own ship anyway.
S O N S O F V O Y A G E R 1
Again, why this? It doesn't seem like something that really works, and doesn't seem like a very serious suggestion (sorry if I sound mean, I just want to avoid name spam).
O U T B O U N D
I actually like this one, though perhaps better to change it to "Outward Bound".
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Kirby
Observer
Observer

22 Jun 2017 05:41

So it cannot be named after a ship, because there will be many ships, and the player will probably be able to name their own ship anyway.
Ah I see... alright I like the idea of naming my ship. So yeah that doesnt work then...
I actually like this one, though perhaps better to change it to "Outward Bound".
Thats the spot! Thats even better, since 'Outbound' reminds me too much of 'Starbound'.
Outward Bound sounds pretty legit. Also because it has different meanings in my language that all fits pretty well.

Sorry for Name spamming, tried to avoid it, but brain storming can result in such a mess sometimes lol. Guess I know now what direction we are heading, so thanks for the feedback.
“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.”

Herman Melville

chronicle
Observer
Observer

22 Jun 2017 07:18

Galaxies Unlimited

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Topic Author

22 Jun 2017 08:19

Updated list of notable names in the OP, added how many times each name as been endorsed (across both new and old forums).

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

22 Jun 2017 14:35

Pioneer is already being used.  Also New Horizons ring a bell maybe
And btw Uncharted Worlds is also used...
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Topic Author

22 Jun 2017 14:53

And btw Uncharted Worlds is also used...
For a pen and paper RPG. I think we're allowed to use the name if it's for a dissimilar product.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

22 Jun 2017 15:12

"Uncharted Worlds" sound like a play on "Uncharted Land", or "terra ignota"/"terra incognita" which is a term used for well over 2000 years.  So, to avoid "Uncharted Worlds" one could go closer to the source and name it "Universa Ignota/Incognita".  "Universum" may signify "world" in a broad sense.  I find "Universa Ignota" better than "Mundi Ignoti", "Orbes Ignotae", "Planetae Ignotae", etc.  "Universa" cover not only celestial bodies, but also any distinct part of the whole universe.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Proteus
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

22 Jun 2017 17:23

Don't mind me. Just toying around. (Wanted to throw a ship in there but couldn't decide exactly where or what orientation, but I figure you get the idea anyway).
► Show Spoiler

Kirby
Observer
Observer

23 Jun 2017 02:22

Don't mind me. Just toying around. (Wanted to throw a ship in there but couldn't decide exactly where or what orientation, but I figure you get the idea anyway).
► Show Spoiler
Nice artwork!
'Wanderer' just reminds me too much of the short film 'Wanderers' tho. Even I like both title and flick, I am not sure they might be a bit too close. People could think both have intentionally something to do with each other, you know what I mean?

Herman Melville

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Jun 2017 02:58

I think the name will be better if the game plot is decided first.  For instance, the name of the game could simply be the name of the spacecraft (if the game revolves around the player's spacecraft), which could be anything.  Or if there is a story behind the gameplay, the name could reflect that story.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Topic Author

23 Jun 2017 07:08

I think the name will be better if the game plot is decided first.
Story is likely to be minimal, and the player's ship will not have a pre-defined name. The game will center around the player(s) being explorers who set out to map other star systems and planets and return that knowledge back to Earth.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Jun 2017 10:53

Story is likely to be minimal, and the player's ship will not have a pre-defined name. The game will center around the player(s) being explorers who set out to map other star systems and planets and return that knowledge back to Earth.
Still, some story would help.  For instance, something describing the technology that made interstellar travel possible.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

24 Jun 2017 06:36

"Terra incognita" :)

redking
Observer
Observer

25 Jun 2017 11:13