Free planetarium

Greewi
Observer
Topic Author

Non visible spectrum

30 Dec 2016 05:58

Hello,

A lot of astronomical pictures are not taken in the visible spectrum, for example http://images.nrao.edu/393 has been taken in the radio domain.

Is it planned to be able to select witch wavelength (or spectrum domain like http://www.chromoscope.net/ ) we can see ?

Mosfet
Pioneer

Non visible spectrum

30 Dec 2016 06:48

If I remember correctly this is a highly popular suggestion, ad it would be absolutely a killer feature for SpaceEngine, but it's an exceedingly hard task to accomplish. I'll post a link here from the old forum with an answer of SpaceEngineer regarding this possibility.
It's dated back in 2012, but I'm sure enough that the answer is still valid, sorry.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods - My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

Greewi
Observer
Topic Author

Non visible spectrum

31 Dec 2016 07:08

Too sad, the beauty we can seen in most of astronomical pictures are just invisible (or near invisible) in the visible spectrum.

I think that's something that can be accomplished by modding : if we use some kind of layered/parallel-universe (let call that instances), we could create an instance per spectral domain. What's mostly missing here is the ability to switch from an instance of the universe to an other.

But that require a lot of work indeed.

Cirax
Observer

Non visible spectrum

31 Jan 2017 11:53

An extreamly big and hard job. You cant just invent that universe , it must be based in real observations took in several wavelenths like gamma , xray ,ultraviolet, infrarred, microwave , radio long and short (at least) . And all of them also made with very diferent kind of instruments and catalogs for that wavelenth (probably they will be really poor because that mesaurements are specific to analize some phenomenas)
My work for SE:
Textures for the solar system bodies: moons of Saturn and Uranus; Triton, Neptune, Venus:Click Here
Catalogs of binary stars, brown dwarfs, black holes and neutron stars (already in official SE).
Proxima b (6 versions):Click Here

Salvo
Space Pilot

Non visible spectrum

31 Jan 2017 23:29

Greewi wrote:
I think that's something that can be accomplished by modding

I don't think so, if it's hard to implement for the developer, it is a thousand times harder for a modder.
Also, even if someone tried, it would be such a fake effect it would be very un-appealing for most of users :)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Non visible spectrum

01 Feb 2017 00:33

It probably isn't possible for a modder to do, even if we had the expanded shader support.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Xoran
Pioneer

Non visible spectrum

04 Feb 2017 07:29

It would be really hard, and the benefits would not be that great compared to the amount of work necessary to implement it.

Also, if it was implemented then people with computers that aren´t very powerful would probably not be able to play Space Engine.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

Non visible spectrum

04 Feb 2017 11:59

Xoran wrote:
Source of the post Also, if it was implemented then people with computers that aren´t very powerful would probably not be able to play Space Engine.

I don't think that would be the case.  There are cheap methods to pull off a broad spectrum, but SE doesn't support that right now.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati