Ultimate space simulation software

Greewi
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

Non visible spectrum

30 Dec 2016 07:58

Hello,

A lot of astronomical pictures are not taken in the visible spectrum, for example http://images.nrao.edu/393 has been taken in the radio domain.

Is it planned to be able to select witch wavelength (or spectrum domain like http://www.chromoscope.net/ ) we can see ?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Non visible spectrum

30 Dec 2016 08:48

If I remember correctly this is a highly popular suggestion, ad it would be absolutely a killer feature for SpaceEngine, but it's an exceedingly hard task to accomplish. I'll post a link here from the old forum with an answer of SpaceEngineer regarding this possibility.
It's dated back in 2012, but I'm sure enough that the answer is still valid, sorry.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Greewi
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

Non visible spectrum

31 Dec 2016 09:08

Too sad, the beauty we can seen in most of astronomical pictures are just invisible (or near invisible) in the visible spectrum.

I think that's something that can be accomplished by modding : if we use some kind of layered/parallel-universe (let call that instances), we could create an instance per spectral domain. What's mostly missing here is the ability to switch from an instance of the universe to an other.

But that require a lot of work indeed.

Cirax
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Non visible spectrum

31 Jan 2017 13:53

An extreamly big and hard job. You cant just invent that universe , it must be based in real observations took in several wavelenths like gamma , xray ,ultraviolet, infrarred, microwave , radio long and short (at least) . And all of them also made with very diferent kind of instruments and catalogs for that wavelenth (probably they will be really poor because that mesaurements are specific to analize some phenomenas)
My work for SE:
Textures for the solar system bodies:Click Here
Catalogs of binary stars, brown dwarfs, black holes and neutron stars (already in official SE).
Proxima b (6 versions):Click Here
Trappist-1: Click Here

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Non visible spectrum

01 Feb 2017 01:29

I think that's something that can be accomplished by modding
I don't think so, if it's hard to implement for the developer, it is a thousand times harder for a modder.
Also, even if someone tried, it would be such a fake effect it would be very un-appealing for most of users :)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Non visible spectrum

01 Feb 2017 02:33

It probably isn't possible for a modder to do, even if we had the expanded shader support.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

Non visible spectrum

04 Feb 2017 09:29

It would be really hard, and the benefits would not be that great compared to the amount of work necessary to implement it.

Also, if it was implemented then people with computers that aren´t very powerful would probably not be able to play Space Engine.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Non visible spectrum

04 Feb 2017 13:59

Also, if it was implemented then people with computers that aren´t very powerful would probably not be able to play Space Engine.
I don't think that would be the case.  There are cheap methods to pull off a broad spectrum, but SE doesn't support that right now.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

tornadotodd
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Non visible spectrum

31 Jan 2018 19:14

What if it could be implemented in a sort of object based telescope mode that would link to a picture of the object online in the desired spectrum? That could at least work for cataloged objects? Just a thought, because that would be cool. But yes a massive undertaking as proposed that certainly would take time away from more important progress atm. Like the concept though. Especially for nebula.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

Non visible spectrum

02 Feb 2018 03:25

Vice versa, catalog objects are harder to do with different wavelength. Earth textures takes 7 GB in visible spectrum. If we would adding 5 other bands, where we would take a global IR, UV, ... maps of the whole Earth? I don't think those exists. And there are other planets and moons...
For procedural planets SE can generate texture maps. But this requires huge research work, read a lot of papers regarding propertied of planets and their atmospheres at different wavelengths. Each time user switches to another band it will must wait until SE reloads textures. Stars are the most easy to do: they are emitting a black body spectrum, it can be easily re-calculated to other wavelengths. Star corona is a different task: it emits a lot of non-thermal radio emission, as well ass gas giant magnetosphere. Galaxy dust probably also easy to do - thermal emission in IR. Nebulae are harder: they emits non-thermal emission.
Radio frequencies also will need some blurring, strongly depending on a receiver aperture. Emitting objects must have blurry edges; if object is smaller than wavelength, it will be transparent or invisible. Diffraction and interference effects are strong at those radio wavelengths, I even don't know how to implement them, except ray-tracing (or wave propagation simulation?) Gamma ray, in opposite, are highly penetrative, solid bodies like planets will have a "transparent" upper layers, what is not easy to render.

enioguedes
Observer
Observer

Non visible spectrum

08 Mar 2018 11:56

Maybe the best way to start a multi-spectrum addon in space engine was to start only with ultraviolet and infrared, because they are easier to manage than other wavelength, mainly infrared and because they are the most similar to visible light. Start with stars, gas dusts, nebulae and finally planets. For planets with their own textures like Earth, because textures tend to be big in Mb, textures with lower resolution (2048x1024 to 512x256) would be the best solution. Proposed wavelengths: near ultraviolet, near infrared and thermal infrared.

Wavelength properties:

Near infrared in planets: http://www.natureblink.com/UV/pruh_00103.jpg (darker skies and water; brighter soil).

Ultraviolet: http://www.natureblink.com/UV/jezirko_uv.jpg (brighter skies and water; darker soil).

Stars: http://www.randombio.com/orion-nebula-2 ... abeled.jpg (cooler stars emit more infrared, so they will be brighter in IR and hotter stars emit more ultraviolet, so they will be brighter in UV).

Nebula: http://wwwcdn.skyandtelescope.com/wp-co ... _600px.jpg (In infrared cooler stars are evident and in ultraviolet hotter stars are evident).

Galaxies: http://ecuip.lib.uchicago.edu/multiwave ... galaxy.jpg