Ultimate space simulation software

dv8918
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

Perhaps a useful resource for further developing wormholes

13 Dec 2016 03:33

Hello,

I stumbled upon a Github project that implements Interstellar-style wormholes in WebGL, with some demos: https://sirxemic.github.io/wormhole/ and https://sirxemic.github.io/Interstellar/

Since wormholes are still experimental, perhaps the developers can use these as examples and/or sources of inspiration?

EDIT: I particularly like the second link, where the wormhole is like a "spherical portal", that is, without a "tunnel". You can move sideways, be partially in one place, and partially in another.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

13 Dec 2016 05:11

Wow! I've seen the renditions of wormholes based on the appropriate general relativistic formulas, but never ones you could explore like that.  Those are really cool, thanks for sharing them!

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

16 Dec 2016 11:19

The wormholes in SpaceEngine are fairly accurate, but the hard part is programming the link.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

jasperhb
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

06 Feb 2017 16:15

Wait, where are the wormholes?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

06 Feb 2017 16:57

You can make a wormhole from a black hole by simply editing its type from X to Z in the editor (shift-F2).
Not implemented yet, though.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

06 Feb 2017 17:56

You can make a wormhole from a black hole by simply editing its type from X to Z in the editor (shift-F2).
And that method will never work, even when bridging is possible.  Wormholes were added for setting up presentations and for mod systems.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

darkenergywarpdrive
Observer
Observer

28 Jun 2017 08:17

maybe the supposed dark matter filaments are possible intergalactic highways, stabilizing wormhole, einstein rosenberg, bridges. someone must have posted that somewhere. i remember seeing a part of a semi educational video that mentioned how something like filaments could, in theory, have been created during the big bang and could be natural wormhole routes.

so if the simulator included known and procedural galaxy filaments, then maybe wormholes could be made along them somehow, but realistically, i don't know how to survive it, if the gravitational forces would crush and rip people, unless a shield of dark energy or something could nullify the effects on the traveler like a bubble shield and use the transmuted energy of the gravity from the wormhole as a power source to do it.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

29 Jun 2017 00:18

maybe the supposed dark matter filaments are possible intergalactic highways, stabilizing wormhole, einstein rosenberg, bridges. someone must have posted that somewhere. i remember seeing a part of a semi educational video that mentioned how something like filaments could, in theory, have been created during the big bang and could be natural wormhole routes.
No, this confuses dark matter with some hypothetical (probably impossible) form of exotic matter necessary to keep a wormhole open.  In terms of gravitational effects dark matter is just like regular matter and can't do that.  The filaments also did not form in the Big Bang, but later as a consequence of denser than average regions collapsing gravitationally to produce the cosmic web.

darkenergywarpdrive
Observer
Observer

29 Jun 2017 18:15

this confuses dark matter with some hypothetical (probably impossible) form of exotic matter necessary to keep a wormhole open.

is that the negative mass or something else. also, how does dark energy compare to that idea. all i could get so far is that is pushes things apart.

Watsisname: denser than average regions collapsing gravitationally to produce the cosmic web.

if it is dense, how does it collapse?

thanks

problemecium
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

29 Jun 2017 19:10

Those actually remind me of the one I made a few months ago. Great minds think alike I guess ^^;
Interactive version here

P.S.: @darkenergywarpdrive - keep in mind that this is on a cosmic scale. A "dense" region is denser than its surroundings, meaning it contains more matter, but that doesn't mean it's rigid or under any significant pressure - it's still very much outer space. Since matter attracts other matter gravitationally, anywhere matter is built up it will draw itself closer together. Over time any slightly denser region of space tends to contract into a clump, or if matter is in between two or more clumps, it will collect into a filament or sheet. This will continue until something happens to create outward pressure, such as a star or quasar forming - hence today we find galaxies in clusters, filaments, and sheets.
ᴩʀoʙʟᴇᴍᴇᴄɪᴜᴍ﹖

Kirby
Observer
Observer

30 Jun 2017 04:28

wow these are some nice wormholes, thanks for sharing!
“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.”

Herman Melville

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

09 Aug 2017 22:50

No, this confuses dark matter with some hypothetical (probably impossible) form of exotic matter necessary to keep a wormhole open.  In terms of gravitational effects dark matter is just like regular matter and can't do that.  The filaments also did not form in the Big Bang, but later as a consequence of denser than average regions collapsing gravitationally to produce the cosmic web.
cosmic strings :)  cosmic strings which are topological defects created early on in the universe
I wouldn't say no to stable wormholes, especially if sterile neutrinos (which may be able to travel through time since they do not respond to any force but gravity) are found one day.

Terran
Astronaut
Astronaut

05 Jan 2018 14:29

Wormholes... Couldn't the whole negative mass and exotic matter problem just be avoided by creating a localized area of negative curvature instead of focusing on an overall global negative curvature? I mean... If you just took a homogeneous gas or material with a high density and encased a localized region of spacetime, then leave a void in the middle, you should essentially have a region of negative curvature when compared to the shell. Just because its hard to do something doesn't mean you can't, unless you literally can't. I see no reason why wormholes can't be added to space engine than perhaps performance or engine limitations... Might as well get the whole spacetime thing out of the way and separate the coordinate system in space engine, have the graphics engine use a virtual coordinate system, and the physics uses the other. Then just apply the math for spacetime when calculating the two, wormholes and blackholes would be dealt with in one go. :/
Then again... the fact there is a Z class suggests that wormholes might be coming soon!
To reality, through nothing, from un-everything.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

05 Jan 2018 20:58

If you just took a homogeneous gas or material with a high density and encased a localized region of spacetime, then leave a void in the middle, you should essentially have a region of negative curvature when compared to the shell.
Assuming spherical symmetry to this setup, then the space-time geometry of the void will be flat (described exactly by special relativity), and the region outside it will obey the Schwarzschild metric.  Unfortunately, no part of this looks like a wormhole metric.  Otherwise we could build wormholes quite easily.

To make a wormhole, the popular description is to connect the singularities of two Schwarzschild metrics to each other (how to achieve that is an exercise left for the forum).  But this connection is violently unstable.  It requires something which is gravitationally repulsive to keep it open, which means a negative energy density in a manner which violates the energy conditions -- and this is very likely an unphysical solution to the equations.
Another form of wormhole that can appear in the mathematics is for a charged or rotating black hole.  Either effect (or both) generates a region of space-time where space flows back outwards -- into a new universe, perhaps.  However, there are again clues that such solutions are unphysical.

There's nothing inherently wrong about putting wormholes in SE -- the mathematics describing such a thing exists.  It's just a question of programming feasibility and one's stance on including speculative / sci-fi realms of physics.  Alcubierre drives are already in Space Engine and those are just as unphysical as wormholes. :)

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

06 Jan 2018 10:32

Assuming spherical symmetry to this setup, then the space-time geometry of the void will be flat (described exactly by special relativity)
Newton's shell theorem for the rescue!! :)