Ultimate space simulation software

wolfaleron
Observer
Observer

General questions about SpaceEngine

01 Jan 2021 15:20

I think I am missing something. How do I see constellations? Can't find anything on the interface, nor in controls, and nothing online. I feel dumb for asking this. 

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

02 Jan 2021 04:51

wolfaleron wrote:
I think I am missing something. How do I see constellations? Can't find anything on the interface, nor in controls, and nothing online. I feel dumb for asking this. 

"Constellations" is a quite visible feature in the filters toolbar on the right, but it's a feature existing only in SpaceEngine 0.990 version.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

wolfaleron
Observer
Observer

02 Jan 2021 06:35

Mosfet wrote:
wolfaleron wrote:

"Constellations" is a quite visible feature in the filters toolbar on the right, but it's a feature existing only in SpaceEngine 0.990 version.

Oh, my bad. It's not out? There's only 0.980 download. I presume 0.990 is only on steam right now?

wolfaleron
Observer
Observer

02 Jan 2021 06:51

Well, I guess I got confused how downloads work. Sorry. My fault. I was gonna get Steam version regardless once I have spare money anyways. I think this is an amazing project, really excited to see what's gonna be added to it. Seems like past few years had quite few discoveries.

Stollysoft
Observer
Observer

12 Jan 2021 11:32

Hi all, I am Marco from Rome.

Have some technical questions too (sorry for partial repetition):

1.when marking in VR a star, info text appears very small, almost not readable. I have managed to make the labels bigger in the config file, but this do not affect the grey font text used on what appear to be a rendered bitmap plane (it rotates with head movements sticked to the marker) for target information not the label)... only want this font being doubled. Any way to set this in the config file and/or to use some bigger font? In this second case, can you indicate me which font file is used for the gray information text of marked objects?

2. the setting of: max magnitude of displayed stars/planets/nebula etc. and the value of stereobase in vr mode config panel are not saved, turn back to 7 and 1 respectively, and have to set them back at each session start.

3. Do star evolve when time is skipped, e.g. becoming red supergiants or explode? This has some importance also during space travel. Indeed, I can see today a star in the sky that do not even exist any more locally, but its light and image would still arrive on earth. But if I travel towards this star, at a certain point it should disappear from the view (that is, if it has exploded, in the moment the last light ray were emitted but I travel against them, at a certain point I will loose the "signal" contact).
Indeed, a "real star status" can be hypotized in its real actual state by knowing its age, distance and how it appears in our skys today. How should we intend to manage this aspect within space engine? Both ways are ok that is universe at present day on earth or dynamic universe by estimation of real star states by interpolation from earth data, important is to know how it is generated :)

Thank you so much, guys! This is an amazing piece of software, A+++++!

longname
Explorer
Explorer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

15 Jan 2021 08:15

Stollysoft wrote:
Source of the post 3. Do star evolve when--

No. That's far too ambitious. Maybe in the future, but right now SE cannot simulate anything in a dynamic fashion.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]