Ultimate space simulation software

Chirag Mittal
Observer
Observer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

27 Mar 2018 08:17

Add the feature that enables us to view the planets, stars, and nebulas in the different wavelengths, for example in infrared, H-alpha, gamma rays etc.A would be a good sight to view Orion nebulae in infrared.

Chirag Mittal
Observer
Observer

29 Mar 2018 09:08

Is it possible to create such nebulae models and space engine as shown in the video?

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

30 Mar 2018 13:53

Is it possible to create such nebulae models and space engine as shown in the video?
Very very impressive indeed. Here you have more from this artist.
The feel is not perfect since it looks a painting in many cases and you can see the layers that he has applied (which generate that throat-like texture in some cases). Also SE has to render this in real-time and I bet that this is not the case at all. But still amazing indeed

kham132
Astronaut
Astronaut

08 Apr 2018 21:53

I've asked this before but didn't get a response. Is it possible to have that band of equatorial clouds on procedural planets?

Destructor1701
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

09 Apr 2018 19:13

A Few Ideas Around Modular Ships And Docking

These are just some thoughts that have occurred to me while playing SE docking ships and so on. Not in any sort of order:

- Undocking from a rotating mother vessel imparts no angular momentum to the undocking ship.
I know this might be something that has to wait until there is a proper physics engine in SE, but it would be nice to get flung off the docking port of a spinning mothership. I like spinning ships for centrifugal "gravity" - this would be a neat illustration of the effect.

- Is it possible to pre-define docked ships to be loaded along with the mothership in the ship file?
If so, what's the syntax? If not, that would be a nice feature.

- Probably a more long term development: different types of docking/berthing/separation ports.
Standard ports, large ship only ports, small ship only ports, Cargo/people/fuel transfer capability (much later, I know).
I think the kind of think I'm most excited about are separation ports, or something like the "separatrons" in Kerbal Space Program. On the code side, it's just a handful of variables added to the existing docking port definition - bool single_use, float separation_force and vector separation_direction, and, ideally, some way to trigger groups - stages - of separation events together.

Basically, I just want to stage realistic rocket launches and planetary missions like in Orbiter or something. I've already privately assembled space shuttle stacks, but if I could have the stack shed the boosters and external tank - that would be so cool. I'd hopefully put together models for Soyuz and Falcon 9/Heavy.

- A "Berthing" system where the module you dock to the mothership becomes part of the mothership
I'd like to build up space stations ISS style by flying up individual modules and bolting them together into a persistent space station. I suspect the engine's memory manager would be much happier if the modules were all under that ship's module list rather than spawning as separate ships. This would certainly satisfy players who like a little Minecraftian (or dare-I-say-it Space Engineers-esque?) self-expression in their undirected cosmic wandering. It would be an in-game spaceship builder complete with the test-of-skill of berthing the modules correctly and efficiently.
Judging by the popularity of KSP Let's Play videos recreating the construction of Mir or the ISS, a lot of people would appreciate that ability.

...Those are just some ideas that occurred, as I say. Thought I'd post them here. I like the idea of people building modular creations on the fly in Space Engine, saving them and sharing the SSS files - just as they already do with spaceships made in the editor. I also like the idea of being able to ship cargo and resources around a system by physically grabbing a crate of whatever and flying it to Mars for delivery or whatever.
I've asked this before but didn't get a response. Is it possible to have that band of equatorial clouds on procedural planets?
That might be achievable by modifying the cloud shaders. You can look into the code yourself inside the pak files. Look for cloud mods on the forum to find out how. If you come up with something good, it might get integrated into the official release. Lots of people do cloud mods, so maybe try bringing it up in those threads. People like Rodrigo have gotten stuff more or less assimilated into the official releases in the past.

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer

10 Apr 2018 04:15

Would be a perfect time to add atmospheric sounds methinks
i9 9900K - 5.0MHz, Palit 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, Vive Pro

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

10 Apr 2018 10:39

Wow :o .. this is how I envision SE ver 1.xx. Or better SE ver 10.XX..
However from what I've seen in some videos of 0.990, SE does not look veery far away from this. Ok SE nebulae do look simpler but still the gap is getting smaller.
Would be a perfect time to add atmospheric sounds methinks
Ehhm I was wondering if atmo reentry / condensation effects would/could come 1st..
Anyway what I am really looking forward after 0.990 is released is shadows both ship and planet ones. Here is my list of wishes in order of time preference:
1. Shadows (ship+celestial bodies)
2. 3d planetary rings (ala Elite Dangerous style)
3. Animation of star surfaces, solar flares and prominances (again like Elite Dangerous but I prefer the convection cells the way they are depicted in Universe Sandbox - much more realistic compared to E:D.)
4. 3d clouds on atmospheric planets & gas/ice giants
5. Reentry / condensation effects for spacecrafts.
6. Wake me up from cryosleep when all the above are implemented..
Anyway I need to wake up and go to work.. sorry for my long post..
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

Destructor1701
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

12 Apr 2018 12:12

Oh, I just thought of another docking/module feature: the ability to spawn a ship onto a docking port, already docked.

n0b0dy, we should add transparent textures to that list! I want reflective glass in my window frames.

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

16 Apr 2018 18:45

Ruminating on this, maybe this could be a separate cloud feature in the same manner as Cyclones? Like with their own set of parameters, like equatorCloudsWidth, equatorCloudsDensity, and/or equatorCloudsFrequency? Granted these could go into either the Surface tag or Clouds tag like cyclones do.
Specs: STGAubron desktop PC; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2 12 GB Vram, Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz, 12 cpus; 32 GB RAM; Windows 11 x64

meep
Observer
Observer

21 Apr 2018 04:42

Here is a suggestion: Add location meta-data to screenshots.

I would like to catalog nice places with pictures (stored outside of SE) rather than with text-labels inside of SE.

lucas
Observer
Observer

25 Apr 2018 04:29

Hello !

The Gaïa mission [url=https://www.inverse.com/article/44092-w ... lease-2018]will yield in few hours[/url] very interesting data for SpaceEngine, about 1.3 billions stars, allowing a very precise map of our galaxy, and a deconstruction of its history !

The release is currently in process, [url=http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Exhibitions ... ESA_at_ILA]there is a live to present the data[/url].

So, the question is: who's interested into making a program to request the features from the release, and compile them into SpaceEngine data ? I am not an expert of astronomical data, but i now SQL and python, so i can do the automation part.

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

25 Apr 2018 15:18

So, the question is: who's interested into making a program to request the features from the release, and compile them into SpaceEngine data ? I am not an expert of astronomical data, but i now SQL and python, so i can do the automation part.
We have talked a lot in the past about this. I made a compilation of the arguments from the user side and the developer responses.
This is currently impossible. I mean, even the Gaia archive (accesible by SQL) needs a lot of time to load even a portion of the data. But sure, I'm working from time to time on a more modest addon with the corrected distances (is not as easy as it seems since we have to correct for bias like the Lutz-Kelker etc...)

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer

25 Apr 2018 16:16

Hi, I would love to see an accelerometer added to space engine. When we navigate around the universe, we must hit some ridiculously huge Gs, and it would be really great to see that value live, and might in theory not be hard to implement :)

Has this been mentioned before?

This is also a good place to mention my (and others') previous request to get an ETA to target when moving 
i9 9900K - 5.0MHz, Palit 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, Vive Pro

lucas
Observer
Observer

26 Apr 2018 16:31

[quote="FastFourierTransform"]
This is currently impossible. I mean, even the Gaia archive (accesible by SQL) needs a lot of time to load even a portion of the data. But sure, I'm working from time to time on a more modest addon with the corrected distances (is not as easy as it seems since we have to correct for bias like the Lutz-Kelker etc...)[/quote]
I just discover about the Lutz-Kelker bias, that was interesting.
Thank you for your response !

enioguedes
Observer
Observer

03 May 2018 20:32

A more realistic and playable "Space Engine"...

Imagine if space engine supported those fully 3d heavy cloud storms in a desert planet like Mars, and you walking there in first person, not just your camera, but as if you were really walking on land, wearing a space suit, hearing the sound of winds, stoms, ocean waves, maybe alien life and hearing your foot hiting the ground, as if you were really there... And hearing the sound of bubbles while swimming through those hydrocarbon lakes of Titan... Not just sound, but rain, dust, wind and storm effects too.

Ah, and those many asteroids seen from the surface in that world similar to Triton... And staying behind a huge rock casting it's shadow with those thin volumetric clouds and dust effects... That certainly would be full immersive! Space Engine needs more immersion like that. Is that so hard and expensive to make?

One thing to consider... The 3D terrain of the worlds in our solar system have low resolution compared to the generated ones. And speaking of generated terrain... There should have more options not only to texture, but also related to the aspect of continents, the continents look very random to me, very similar. They don't look so different like ones of Earth or those venusian highlands or even those canyons of Mars. I mean, the continents or even seas and lakes should have more parameters to give regular and irregular shapes, so that they will truly look different each other.

So that planets will look more unique each other, even if they are not handcrafted.

Space Engine could also have that cockpit feature with space ship sounds, when travelling through planets and stars, oh my! Don't think it's so hard to make that, at least!

You guys think that Star Citizen got it's inspiration from Space Engine? Because the way planets are rendered is... similar!