Explorer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

08 Jan 2018 00:38

greenhand wrote:
spaceguy wrote:
http://www.fracterra.com/FunWithWilburVol1/index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLNuKOOmKlQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH7YQQbS2kU
Space engine could really use an erosion filter for more complex, accurate terrain :D

I found this erosion technique, maybe it's faster than simulating water flow.
http://arches.liris.cnrs.fr/publications/SIG2013.html 

Yeah, I was kinda dumb posting those links thinking they're not simulations. But there are some algorithms for terrain generation that I heard of, which I think was either posted here or in the SE development thread before. 

greenhand
Observer
Observer

09 Jan 2018 20:15

I'd actually love to read about them, I've found out that a lot of erosion filters simulate water or liquid erosion, by using physics to carry sediment down slopes, it's not done at run time of course, it's thousands of iterations at code time though.

Huntingknight
Observer
Observer

12 Jan 2018 04:48

Do you think you will ever want to add more educational tools to Space Engine? I think it would be very useful to have tools that allow more filters when exploring. For example, filtering out all randomly generated stars. I would love to be able to visualize all the stars that we know are there, and their names. This could also include a filter that allows you to only show stars from certain constellations, or only show stars visible with the naked eye on Earth. This would be the same with galaxies and such. I was also wondering if you could add galaxy clusters to the selection pointer. It can be rather difficult to visualize and find galaxy clusters that we know of that are in Space Engine.

Loving this engine more and more with every update!

Gnargenox
Pioneer
Pioneer

12 Jan 2018 13:16

You already have the option to turn off procedural stars and planets, F4 or shift F4, (not alt F4 lol)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Huntingknight
Observer
Observer

14 Jan 2018 10:22

You are right. Thank you

kham132
Astronaut
Astronaut

14 Jan 2018 17:06

Would it be possible to add that band of clouds at the equator on procedural planets?

MrQuack123
Observer
Observer

17 Jan 2018 13:36

Hello! I would like to suggest the ability to select 2 objects and it would show angular separation (Standard like it goes from arcseconds to arcminutes to degrees that stuff) (I would like to add that I suggest this for the separation from your viewpoint, just in case there are any confusions)

Thanks!

FastFourierTransform
Explorer
Explorer

18 Jan 2018 03:11

The idea seems nice since that would allow to make naviagation using trigonometry (a fun game for nerds like me). But you can just do this now by  making the FOV as tiny as to put both stars in the two extremes or your screen (you would have to rotate as to make the conecting line parallel to the bottom side of the screen), the value you are searching for is the FOV value.

MrQuack123
Observer
Observer

18 Jan 2018 05:31

FastFourierTransform wrote:
The idea seems nice since that would allow to make naviagation using trigonometry (a fun game for nerds like me). But you can just do this now by  making the FOV as tiny as to put both stars in the two extremes or your screen (you would have to rotate as to make the conecting line parallel to the bottom side of the screen), the value you are searching for is the FOV value.

Well say you are measuring the angular separation of Jupiter and Venus, how would you know the separation without zooming in and out and repositioning your camera constantly if you go fast in time acceleration?