Free planetarium

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

DoctorOfSpace's Mod Emporium v0.9.8.0

08 Nov 2017 13:35

GeneralJoe344, I agree somewhat, but I also respect Enterprise because unlike Discovery it at least put the effort to fit with the rest of Trek.  The writing staff and production crew did a ton of work to make sure ships were in line with canon, characters fit, stories fit(somewhat looking at TCW), and I think they did a fantastic job.

Now we have Discovery and a severe lack of people who worked on previous Trek shows.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

08 Nov 2017 16:11

In hopes of bringing some clarity to the subject of whether the designs of ships in Discovery are lore-friendly and period-correct, I decided to do a little project. Here are the fruits of the last couple days' labor.

Original Shenzhou design:

My tweaked version:

I'll let you all judge which looks more appropriate to Discovery's setting.
Ryzen 7 1700 OC to 3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 980 Ti 6144 MB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Destructor1701
Astronaut
Astronaut

08 Nov 2017 17:04

GeneralJoe344 wrote:
Source of the post Destructor, I respect your view on Enterprise, but I myself enjoyed it, but it was by no means the biggest failure. Discovery has that dishonour. I believe one reason (among many, I'm sure) why you didn't like Enterprise is because it didn't focus on philosophy, but on war .

No, that was not my problem with Enterprise. I'm a spacetravel nerd. My problem was that it rewrote the existing history of the future. It didn't fit. The ship design was lazy(the producers wanted to use the Akira class design unaltered - the art dept had to push hard to get the funding to make the ship even remotely period-appropriate), and the depiction of our early voyages bore far too much similarity to 24th century life and nearly none to 21st century life.
In short, I didn't find it a believable depiction of our future.
TOS and TNG have those few extra centuries to iron out the kinks in human spaceflight, and so their push-button lifestyle makes sense, but Enterprise should have had more of a NASA feel to it. More science, engineering, and right-stuff muddling through. So many missed opportunities.
So it was unbelievable to me and hurt the overall credibility of the franchise. And, taken on their own, the episodes were weird and cheesy and most of the time the characters seemed to have a sixth sense about being in a prequel.
But that's only why I didn't like Enterprise.
I think it was a failure in the eyes of Paramount/CBS bean-counters because it haemorrhaged viewers and alienated the fanbase so much that it ended up getting cancelled. Yes, it did better than TOS, but TOS got the ball rolling, so it gets a pass. Judging by the reception so far, Discovery doesn't seem to be a repeat performance - although CBS are keeping their streaming figures close to their chests.

Harb, great work - she looks much more like a Federation ship now. Only other thing I'd change is the font on the registry.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

08 Nov 2017 17:51

Destructor1701 wrote:
Source of the post Harb, great work - she looks much more like a Federation ship now. Only other thing I'd change is the font on the registry.

I would have, but it is beyond my ability to do that properly.
Ryzen 7 1700 OC to 3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 980 Ti 6144 MB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

08 Nov 2017 18:42

Destructor1701 wrote:
Source of the post but Enterprise should have had more of a NASA feel to it. More science, engineering, and right-stuff muddling through. So many missed opportunities.

Then that wouldn't really be Star Trek.  The Declaration Enterprise was in the 2120s, possibly before, and the ships before that were offshoots of the Phoenix warp ship.  There isn't any time in Earth's history in Trek for a "NASA feel" since the Vulcans radically changed the Earth approach to interstellar travel.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition

Tuskin38
Observer
Observer

10 Nov 2017 11:18

Destructor1701 wrote:
Telling people not to believe lies without attempting to debunk them is an inneffective strategy.

Nevertheless, it did prompt me to research it a little.

Bad Robot is not involved. Alex Kurtzman is involved via his own production company Secret Hideout.
It's possible SH is some kind of BR derivative and retains the rights package that Bad Robot accessed via Paramount, but it's hard to know.

The contractual obligation would explain so much of this, though.

Please, Tuskin, if you have any further info, fill me in.

CBS owns everything Star Trek, including the Kelvin Timeline movies as listed here.

http://www.cbsconsumerproducts.com/properties.html

They have the rights to TOS. They licence out the TOS designs and products using the TOS stuff, like books, comics and toys. 

During the split with Viacom. Paramount retained the rights to make Star Trek movies and to distribute (home release etc) the existing ones.
CBS owns the Star Trek license and Paramount made the movies under CBS' license, which means CBS also owns anything Paramount makes under the license.

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

10 Nov 2017 16:11

N0B0DY, Duke helped me fix the shader a bit so I can set the orientation of the warp bubble and line it up with ships

Tuskin38
Observer
Observer

11 Nov 2017 09:23

That is pretty neat.

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

11 Nov 2017 21:46

Haven't enabled red/blue shifting yet for this, but here is a stretched out bubble with mostly flat space where the ship is

N0B0DY
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

11 Nov 2017 23:20

DoctorOfSpace, it looks beautiful! I guess there is no download yet because you want to refine it further? 

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

11 Nov 2017 23:56

N0B0DY, Here are 4 different shaders

This is the first version, in the above post where I mentioned you.  It has no red or blue shifting

ship_warp - New Duke.glsl
(4.18 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Same as above, just slightly smaller expanded region

ship_warp - New Duke Smaller.glsl
(4.24 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Warp shader that is more accurate to how it should be, lobes are distant and region ship sits in is mostly not warped.

ship_warp - New Duke Proper Warp.glsl
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

Same as above, just has red/blue shifting enabled

N0B0DY
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

12 Nov 2017 08:42

DoctorOfSpace,Thank You!

Ensabahnur
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

12 Nov 2017 12:53

DoctorOfSpace when are you gonna release the new ships?

DoctorOfSpace
World Builder
World Builder
Topic Author

12 Nov 2017 14:38

Ensabahnur, which ships?

I have some ready to go, but I have also implemented some 0.9.9.0 updates so I am considering holding out.

Ensabahnur
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

12 Nov 2017 20:09

My bad DoctorOfSpace, i was referring to the new star trek ships and the alien ship.