Ultimate space simulation software

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

How to make maps for Earth (Like I did with Hawaii or like Klud with Grand Canyon)

02 Jan 2021 03:21

¡LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, GREETINGS!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for everyone.

This is the topic you have been waiting for, and if you didn't I DON'T CARE YOU CAN KEEP GOING IN THE FORUM :D! My name is Santiago Morillo, and prepare for a educative and funny tutorial because this is HOW TO MAKE MAPS FOR PLANET EARTH IN SPACE ENGINE.

I will tell you a little about how my monstrous and uncontrolled ambition in Space Engine to make a detailed global map of the earth (AND in some future of Mars) was awakened. I had the 0980 version of Space Engine, I just spent it exploring the planets generated by the simulator, until I came across a Klud's addon and downloaded it, even though it didn't have the same detail as the procedural planets, it still surprised me much detail that this map had. (It was like a non-sexual pleasure to see it in this detail)

So I decided to want to make one too, I searched, and in the most stupid and innocent way, I went to Pacioos Voyager and started taking screenshots of the map of the shaded relief of Hawaii at its highest and "optimal" resolution and began to assemble the map in paint (I'm ashamed to tell you this LOL), and I sent a message to Klud, (Thinking I had the map almost ready) he gave me his email and I sent him a message, he replied, saying it was a shaded relief map of Hawaii and that would not work for the game, as it was not a digital elevation map. From there, he gave me a very detailed tutorial on how to make maps for the game, although we started in a somewhat messy way (It was partly my fault lmao) here on this topic little by little I will leave the steps that he gave me.

PS: We will use the 5th tile levels for basement.

0.- Programs you will need to make the maps.

Ok, let's start with the programs you will need for making the map.

1.- Space Engine (Obviously, you will need to test it unless you are a seer that can anticipate how it will look in the game)
2.- Photoshop (Believe me, we'll use this a lot in my case I have CS6)
3.- QGIS (Well need this for doing the gnomic reprojection from our downloaded DEM map from SRTM and other steps)
4.- SASPlanet (For downloading the images with coordinates from the surface/color map)
5.- Total Commander (Well need it for regroup the tiles in each single folder from 0-7 for renaming it and DON'T WORRY, IF YOU HAVE HIGH ABILITIES IN FAST WRITTING FOR RENAMING EVERY SINGLE TILE WE'LL COMPLETE THIS IN A MONTH OR LESS TIME)
6.- Advanced Renamer (I hope you didn't believe me with the joke above, this one is for renaming all the tiles and save us millions of seconds of time LOL).

Now, if you downloaded everything, we can start now. 1.- Looking for the tile of the zone of your interest. Let's say that you want a very detailed map from your locantion, or some other place BECAUSE YOU AND I DON'T HAVE PATRIOTIC FEELINGS AND DON'T GIVE A F*** ABOUT OUR PLACE FIRST If that's so, in our case, I will use the Villarica's Volcano and nearby place from Chile.

That place in Space engine is the tile #7_119_84 in the face POS_Z (THE COLOR TILE IS JUST EXAMPLE, LOOK FOR THE BUMP MAP, WE'LL LOOK FOR THE BUMP FIRST):

[attachment=9]7_119_84_c.png[/attachment] 

But we don't are here for this tile, we want the 5th tile were the 7_119_84 is included.

"AND HOW THE HELL WE'LL FIND IT SANTIAGO!?" 
Relax your butt, take a sit, and just divide the numbers of the tile by 4 (Except the 7, you just minus it by 2, the resulting number of the tile is: 5_29.75_84 (Notice that 29.75? No, is not like that in the tile name, it's just the number that the calculator will give to you, so you can guess where is placed the volcano?... Don't cheat, and think about it).

PS: If you want to find some place that you're interested that is not Villarica's, just multiply by 2 every number from the level starting from the tile level 1, obviously you will need to make an effort to find the specific tile.

5_29_21:

5_29_21_c.png
5_29_21_c.png (128.75 KiB) Viewed 5309 times

Congratulations! You might have a smile thinking and hitting that the 7_119_84 is in the inferior left corner, but THIS IS NOT RELEVANT, JUST WASTED YOUR TIME A LITTLE BIT, AFTER ALL, THE KNOWLEDGE YOU WILL ACQUIRE AFTER THIS TUTORIAL WORTHS IT.

So, after having located the 5th level tile. extract it in the location of your liking in your Documents/Images/Music/Videos/Downloads/Desktop/System32 folder.

Now, we'll need to find the rest of the tiles from the 5_29_21, I will not troll you this time because I'm a little bit lazy on doing this but it's because you people want to do this too. 

Notice that the 7_119_84 in 5_29_21 is a very small place, so the 7th tile levels that are in the 5th level are ALLWAYS 16 tiles (4 Rows, 4 Columns), may I invite you to go and look them by yourself in this order for finding the 7th tiles of 5_29_21:

First row: 

7_116_84, 7_116_85, 7_116_86, 7_116_87

I won't need to tell you the other numbers, you just know the number of the first row, the rest is just 117, 118 and 119.

After this, Photoshop will enter at first.

2.-Cutting and assembling tiles in photoshop.

Before everything, here's an explanation from Klud of the tiles and their border pixels and what you will need to do for assemble them correctly:

Border explanation.png

Space Engine uses border pixels for overlapping rendering. So...

You need to reduce 2 pixels on each side of EVERY SINGLE TILE AND YES, YOU WILL NEED TO DO IT MANUALLY, It will result in 252x252 pixels, to do this in a fast way like I do, create 2 .psd files with the following settings:

1: 

1.png
1.png (10.35 KiB) Viewed 5309 times

2: 

2.png
2.png (13.3 KiB) Viewed 5309 times

Once you have every tile grouped in one folder, open one of them: 

3.5.png

Ctrl + C, and paste it to the 256x256 .psd file:

4.png

Now as you seen in the image above, reduce it to 252x252 pixels or if Photoshop shows you the units in Inches, type 3.5 in Width and Height (Canvas Size or Ctrl + Alt + C, I suggest you to learn the fast commands, your workflow will be increased), now select all (Ctrl + A) and copy it (Ctrl + C), go to the 1008x1008 pixels .psd file and paste it (Ctrl + V):

[attachment=3]4.png[/attachment]

In this case we started with the 7_119_84, so I will make it from down to up until I have this result:

5.png

DON'T MERGE THEM YET OR YOU WILL STEP YOUR FOOT DEEP IN SH*T!

You may expand it (Image Size or Ctrl + Alt + I) to 16128x16128 pixels.
Make sure to use the Bilinear option instead of Bicubic otherwise you will see artifacts, ugly artifacts as 2020 was.

Now you can save it Like "5_29_21 16K" or whatever the hell you want, just after saving it you can merge them but don't dare to save the file with the tiles merged.

Now we have the 5_29_21 in 16k Resolution, but why? well, that's because:

Explanation.jpg

So that means the tile 5_29_21 in the level 11 will start like this: 11_1856_1344, and end like this: 11_1904_1392.

in short words that you could understand, the tile's resolution (with the borders included) to 5-12 are duplicated since you go up to a higher level, if you go from 5 to 6 you have to multiply by 2 the pixels of the 5th level (if you want by exampe know how big will be the image in X level, let's say that you want to multiply our base tile from level 5 to level 10, you will need to multiply the value 256 5 times by 2, so 256 x 2 5 times = then the level 10 from X 5th tile level will be wide as 8192x8192 pixels), I will show you the actual size of the highest resolution of earth in Space Engine and a hellish estimated size with the other higher resolutions JUST THE BUMP:

5: 256x256 (It represents the 32k Earth HD): 1.1907 GB
6: 512x512 is the resolution of each 5 tile level (It represents the 64k Earth HD): 2.3815 GB
7:1024x1024 is the resolution of each 5 tile level (It represents the 128k Earth HD): 4.763 GB
8:2048x2048 is the resolution of each 5 tile level (It may represent the 256k Earth HD): 9.526 GB
9:4096x4096 is the resolution of each 5 tile level (It may represent the 512k Earth HD): 19.0520 GB
10:8192x8192 is the resolution of each 5 tile level (It may represent the 1024k or 1 million pixels Earth HD): 38.10400 GB
11:16384x16384 is the resolution of each 5 tile level (It may represent the 2048k or 2 million pixels Earth HD): 76.20800 GB
12:32768x32768 is the resolution of each 5 tile level (It may represent the 4096k or 4 million pixels Earth HD): 152.41600 GB

Add the size results in a single one: 1.1907+2.3815+4.763+9.526+19.0520+38.10400+76.20800+152.41600 = 303.6412 GB

This would be the size of the earth in Space Engine with the whole 10m Resolution data from SRTM (By example, Klud's mod BUMP MAP haves 12 level, the same as my mod of Hawaii and the surface and watermask as well, to represent the 10m resolution in the simulator we used 5th level tiles and expanded it to 32768x32768 pixels) but because our whole planet is not completed with the 10m resolution, for the moment we will work with 30m resolution (16384x16384 pixels each 5th tile level), so the size of the bump will be aproximatedly 151.2252 GB, including the other levels of course. UNLESS YOU ARE A DUDE WITH DARK FETISH.[/font] For now, I will leave this like that, because it's too late, here is 5:07 AM and I'm having headache to fix this post LOL.
Attachments
7_119_84_c.png
7_119_84_c.png (77.5 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
3.png
Last edited by Khorrah on 02 Jan 2021 04:13, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, I LOVE lasagna and Space Engine. ♥

My Specs: Intel Core I5 12600K, Corsair Vengeance Pro SL 32GB, MSI Z690-A WIFI DDR4, GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER 8G.

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

How to make maps for Earth (Like I did with Hawaii or like Klud with Grand Canyon)

02 Jan 2021 04:11

Next tutorial in this topic will be: 

How to download SRTM 30 Meters data directly from QGIS.

And make the reprojection.

My Specs: Intel Core I5 12600K, Corsair Vengeance Pro SL 32GB, MSI Z690-A WIFI DDR4, GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER 8G.

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

02 Jan 2021 10:57

3.- Downloading, Merging and Reprojecting downloaded data from SRTM in QGIS 3.
So, the main first thing you need to do is Download the latest version of QGIS I think that's quite obvious don't you? Just after that, you need to add the base maps or XYZ Tiles, this tutorial may help you with that (I slightly recommend you to use the ESRI SATELLITE or GOOGLE SATELLITE HYBRID): Don't click here After this, you need to download the extension of SRTM in QGIS, to do this, go to "Plugins" and after that "Manage and Install Plugins" a console will be open, after it's opened, in the search bar type "SRTM", you will notice one plugin called "SRTM-Downloader" (This plugin will download only 30 Meter resolution tiles from the place you want to):
[attachment=4]1.png[/attachment] Just after that SH*T we can add a base map, to do that, look at the "browser" window in the left side of the program, you will find "XYZ Tiles", click in the down arrow at the side of it to open the servers, and choose the one is your prefference, after that, you might locate your place, in my case Is Villarica's Volcano: [attachment=3]2.png[/attachment] You might notice that I highlighted an arrow that is like ">>" in the upper right corner of the image, click on it and click on the Earth's Icon, that's the SRTM-Downloader (Don't ask me why they didn't added just an Icon called "SRTM" because I don't know and care neither LOL) A new window will open again, if you maked sure already that you have the field that you want, then you can use "Set canvas extent" option, I will leave you below a screenshot with that option highlighted: [attachment=2]3.5.png[/attachment] Then you can choose the folder of your liking, you can choose your download place in your adult videos folder, or put the files to the System32 (I SLIGHTLY RECOMMEND IT HERE LOL) or if you're a normal person not like me, then you can make a folder with the name of your location, in my case will be "Chile" in Images folder, and then you start downloading, in my case, after the download we got this: [attachment=1]3.png[/attachment] You might believe: "Cool, after this we can now save the map and convert it to Space Engine" and that's true, ONLY IN YOUR WET DREAMS LOL, YOU WILL GO THROUGH THE HELL LIKE I DID. We don't need the base map, so delete it... In the upper part, go to Raster>Miscellaneous>Merge, click on the "..." button that is at the side of the input layers:
[attachment=0]4.png[/attachment] And here you go, I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU TO SAVE AT THIS POINT BEFORE YOU GOT A POWER SHUTDOWN AS SOMETIMES HAPPENS IN LATIN AMERICA LOL.  Next step, how to make a Gnomic reprojection.
Attachments
1.png
2.png
3.5.png
3.png
4.png

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

02 Jan 2021 12:22

4.- REPROJECTING 4a.- Adding a custom reprojection This is a quite easy step THANKS TO KLUD I LOVE YOU DUDE, you go now to "Settings" tab, and click on "custom projections" then, a new window will appear, at the upper right corner of this window there are 2 buttons, with the symbols "+" and "-", click on "+" you can put the name you want but I suggest you to name it "Poz_z", and in the format select "Proj String", at the inferior part of this new windows will be ANOTHER windows at the side of the Parameters option, you need to add this configuration LIKE IT IS: +proj=gnom +lat_0=0 +lon_0=-90 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs   After that click in "Validate" button at the right side of the text box, It have to be like this: [attachment=5]1.png[/attachment] You will notice in "+lon_0=" there's an "-90". "But why and for what is that?" Relax your sphincters, and see this:  [attachment=4]2.png[/attachment] Now that we have our custom projection, now go to Raster>Projections>Warp (Reproject) and set the following settings below: [attachment=3]3.png[/attachment] Now you can click on "Run" and after it reprojects, it haves to show you something like this: [attachment=2]3.5.png[/attachment] "But Santiago, I don't see any difference between the "Reprojected" and "Merged" did you miss something?" Yes, I missed her lies as you did too sometime LOL, no, I didn't miss something, right click on "Reprojected" and then "Set CRS" and finally "Set Project CRS from Layer":  [attachment=1]4.png[/attachment] After this, you right click on the Reprojected again, then click on export: [attachment=0]5.png[/attachment] And there you are! "COOL, NOW IT'S READY TO Space Engine? :D The answer of it is...

NOOOOOOOOOOoo0o0o0o0o0o We have many steps foward of us to make. Next Step: Find the coordinates of our before created base map (the 16128x16128 one) using SAGA.
[img=16x16]http://forum.spaceengine.org/data:image ... lFTkSuQmCC[/img]
Attachments
1.png
2.png
3.png
3.5.png
4.png
5.png

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

02 Jan 2021 19:07

5.- Making a fake "Pos_z" to get coordinates. After like 3 or 4 hellish hours without internet, I'm able to continue this journey, Photoshop will enter this time, create a single raster layer with a resolution of 32768x32768 pixels, make sure that is in grayscale and 8 bit for lower size (The next captures are by Klud), call the file "Sample": [attachment=9]1.png[/attachment] Go to QGIS, go to Raster>Georeferencer Load our fake "Pos_z" called "Sample" and make the necessary settings: [attachment=8]2.png[/attachment] PS: It doesn't necessary to be in that folder, you can place your fake Pos_z anywhere you want, even in your intimate pics. Make sure you make the settings like the image below: [attachment=7]3.png[/attachment] [attachment=6]3.5.png[/attachment] Now load the "Sample" in Georeferencer, and set breakpoints and set their values acording to the "cubemap-m" picture for "pos_z": [attachment=5]4.png[/attachment] [attachment=4]Space engine coordinates.png[/attachment] [attachment=3]5.png[/attachment] REMEMBER MAKING THE SAME AS THE IMAGES SHOWS .3. The final result of this needs to be like this: [attachment=2]6.png[/attachment] Now You will need to do the Reprojection to the image (Use the custom reprojection of Chile as we did with the SRTM map), the next Image will be merged 2 steps in a single image. 1: Do the reprojection, but don't close the warp window, we still need it. Open the export window and look at the resolution values, we see that the "columns" is 26755, which is less than the original 32768 that we need: 
[attachment=1]7.jpg[/attachment] We change this value to 32768 and we'll see that "horizontal" has changed from 476.782 to 389.291, let's copy this new value and close this window.
8.jpg
Next Post LOL
Attachments
1.png
2.png
3.png
3.5.png
4.png
Space engine coordinates.png
5.png
6.png
7.jpg

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

02 Jan 2021 19:30

Now, make the reprojection again: [attachment=4]1.jpg[/attachment] Now we got what we need except for just one thing. Due to inaccuracy, the coordinates are slightly displaced to the nort, so we'll compensate for this displacement and at the same time crop it vertically to a square. Go to Raster>Allign Rasters and put the following setting: [attachment=3]2.png[/attachment] [attachment=2]3.png[/attachment] In the image above, I will leave you here those values, so you can copy and paste it or if you're a worker person like me, writte it:  North: 6378143.744 South: -6378143.744 After you writte or paste those values, click in ok. Now right click in the new reprojected with the new values and do the "Set Project CRS from layer": [attachment=1]3.5.png[/attachment] The result is a Square, this is our fake "face": [attachment=0]4.png[/attachment] Now we can move to the next step, that is CUTTING IT INTO TILES BY HAND AND WE'LL TAKE A LITTLE LONG, DON'T BE AFRAID, WE'RE TOGETHER IN THIS SH*... Naah just Joking, we'll need the Qgis's SAGA to cut it into tiles.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.png
2.png (169.82 KiB) Viewed 5232 times
3.png
3.5.png
4.png

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

02 Jan 2021 20:09

6.- Cutting into tiles our fake "face" with SAGA. Go to the Window's start, or in the browse Icon, and type "SAGA", run it: [attachment=4]1.png[/attachment] Then, load our fake "face": [attachment=3]2.png[/attachment] Then make the necessary settings, we need the image of the 5th level to get our 5_29_21 tile, that is in fact 8192x8192 pixels (32 tiles of 256x256 pixels), but to reduce the pixel size (Increase the accuracy) it was increased x4 times each side up to 32768x32768 pIXelS, therefore, the size became 1024x1024 pixels. [attachment=2]3.png[/attachment] CliCK oN "ExEcuTE"  After the process, the tileset is in the specified directory. Now, we'll look in the tiles of SAGA, I suggest you to save the next image: [attachment=1]3.5.png[/attachment] the tile we're looking for is the tile from SAGA, so look carefuly at the table, you notice a square drawed at the SAGA's row #3 and column #22, this haves to be our coordinate in meters. Now in the folder, you will find a lot ot file formats, select the 5_3_22.sdat and drag it to QGIS, after that, follow the steps in the image below It is strange that I'm not trolling at this point, don't worry, may I make some stupidity soon LOL:
4.png
Next step, georeferencing our base map.
Attachments
1.png
2.png
3.png
3.5.png

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

02 Jan 2021 21:26

7.- Georeferencing our base map. Go to Raster>Georeferencer, load our base map and make the settings: [attachment=1]1.png[/attachment]
[attachment=0]2.png[/attachment] Then click no the green triangle and wait until the georeferencer finish it's work. Now our base map has coordinates. For tomorrow, I will keep with the tutorial. Cheers!
Attachments
1.png
2.png

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

04 Jan 2021 20:54

7.- ALIGN STEP Now that we have our base map with coordinates in meters, we still need to do something in order that our reprojected map would fit without any problems with our base map at the moment of doing the crop process, double left click on the base map, after that, go to information tab:
[attachment=5]1.png[/attachment] You see those numbers? We will need those numbers from the base's pixel size to align our reprojected map. So make an effort and memorize them  Or just copy them into a notepad lol. Now go to Raster>Align Rasters, just after that, a new window will open, click on the green "+" and use the resampling method "Bilinear":
[attachment=4]2.png[/attachment] Now click in ok and, use those values that you picked from the base's pixel size:
[attachment=3]3.png[/attachment] Afther doing this now you can click in Ok.
[attachment=2]3.5.png[/attachment] In my case, the pixel size weren't 100% exact. just a 99.999999% 8.- CROPPING PROCESS Now that we have our map aligned, we must crop it, this will be a quick step, go to Raster>Extraction>Clip Raster by Extent: Remember to assign no data in 0 and use UInt16
[attachment=1]4.png[/attachment] Now click in "Run" this haves to be the result: [attachment=0]5.png[/attachment] Now export it and save it like "Cropped.tif" or how you like. Next step will be: Changin height from our cropped map.
Attachments
1.png
2.png
3.png
3.5.png
4.png
5.png

Roy
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

10 Jan 2021 11:13

Khorrah, I have a wonderful idea for ya. How about you make this not to the surface but to city lights? To show capitals of the world distinctly.
Attachments
City Lights OV1.png

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

10 Jan 2021 21:37

Khorrah, I have a wonderful idea for ya. How about you make this not to the surface but to city lights? To show capitals of the world distinctly.
What's the location of that map? 
I'm taking a little long with changing the heights from the map, it's difficult to change the height from the map making it fit perfectly with the rest of the tiles in the game. 

Roy
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

11 Jan 2021 13:29

What's the location of that map?
You mean where to find huge original? I don't know. From your text I didn't even get where you take the land maps.

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

12 Jan 2021 05:23

Khorrah,This is an astonishing work! Thank you so so much. I've been waiting for a tutorial like this for a long time. No wonder no one could replicate Klud's outstanding mods. There are so many small details and steps that have to be correctly executed....

Thank you a lot. I hope this inspires others to make mods in the next years (Olympus Mons with MRO or Apollo landing sites with LRO). I'm glad you did this. And I hope to see all the issues people come up with solved finally! If I manage to have time I will try to make a mod using this knowledge and If I have even more time I will try to make some python script to help automatize parts of the process (some look simple to make).

Thank you once again. And Klud, you are truly a beast for developing the method :)

Roy
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

12 Jan 2021 23:16

You need to reduce 2 pixels on each side of EVERY SINGLE TILE AND YES, YOU WILL NEED TO DO IT MANUALLY
Btw I didn't get this. Why manually? You can create a simple photoshop action doing this only 1 time and it will repeat for thousands of images.

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

17 Jan 2021 19:28

You need to reduce 2 pixels on each side of EVERY SINGLE TILE AND YES, YOU WILL NEED TO DO IT MANUALLY
Btw I didn't get this. Why manually? You can create a simple photoshop action doing this only 1 time and it will repeat for thousands of images.
Well this is how I did, actually, I'm trying to get the same height from the map, besides I've been busy a lot, but as soon as I move from to other rent house I will keep with this tutorial, sorry for being late with this and thank you so much for your patience. ♥