1) I copied everything from the planets and stars folders in catalogs.pak to addons/catalogs/planets and addons/catalogs/stars respectively. (you can open pak files in a zip program like Winzip, Winrar or 7-zip)
2) I then renamed the catalogs.pak in Steam\steamapps\common\SpaceEngine\data\catalogs to catalogs.old to stop it loading.
3) I deleted all the copied files in the addons/catalogs/planets folder except for:
4) I deleted all the copied files in the addons/catalogs/stars folder except for:
5) I edited the planets/SolarSys.sc file and replaced the Star "Sun/Sol" entry with the code below and deleted everything else after it:
Code: Select all
ParentBody "Solar System"
6) I edited the stars/SolarSys.sc and replaced the StarBarycenter "Solar System" entry with the code below and deleted everything else after it:
Code: Select all
StarBarycenter "Solar System"
7) I had to keep the Stars-fix.sc file because deleting that file or removing stars from it seems to make SE always crash on loading, but keeping the file and editing its existing contents doesn't cause it to crash. Something in here must be essential but I couldn't figure out what it was - but replacing the AppMags of all the stars with 20 and increasing the distances to something like 5000 basically turns all the stars invisible and moves them all out of the way. (You may need to use some fancy search/replace text editing for this). So this seems to be a decent workaround for now. I've attached the edited file below so you can use that if you don't have the fancy editing methods.
And that's it, it should work. You're left with a black hole sun with no planets at Ra 0, Dec 0, Dist 0, and all the other stars in Stars-fix are out of the way and invisible but now you can populate an empty universe (you have to turn the galaxy display option off too, it still randomly generates those)! I made a MyStars.sc with a Mono star (from the manual) and that shows up fine and even has its own procedurally generated planets.
All the procgen stars and galaxies outside the Milky Way still exist, but it appears that there is nothing in the Milky Way itself after this (except the hidden/invisible stars in stars-fix.sc, Sol, and whatever you add in your custom.sc).
NOTE: If you want to revert back to normal SE then delete everything made in the addons folder here, and rename the catalogs.old in the data folder back to catalogs.pak and that should bring it all back to normal.