Ultimate space simulation software

Cirax
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

TRAPPIST-1 System by Cirax

05 May 2017 05:24

TRAPPIST-1 SYSTEM BY CIRAX

WARNING, THIS THREAD IS OBSOLETE PLEASE REFER TO MY EXOPLANETS THREAD!

New version, full list of changes in my last post.

These are my procedural planets for the TRAPPIST-1 Star.  Four of them lay in the habitable zone (maybe more).

I focused the design in real data from Updated Masses for the TRAPPIST-1 Planets astronomical article April 2017.  In it the estimated mean densities of the planets reveal that the three closest planets are rocky while the rest are near the density of the water making them oceanic or ice worlds.

To add some variety to the oceanic worlds (not just a covered oceanic plain and boring world) I changed the size of the ice layer a some minor differences.

You can download it from here (compatible with 0.980e patch) (21/2/2018 version):
TRAPPIST-1 Cirax.pak
(6.76 KiB) Downloaded 600 times
Hostile versión:
TRAPPIST-1 Hostile Cirax.pak
(6.62 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
To install just copy "TRAPPIST-1 Cirax.pak" inside the addons folder.  Don't forget to rename the extension .pak to something else if you have another mod of the TRAPPIST-1 system.

TRAPPIST-1 b

The closest planet to its sun is heavily affected by the tidal effect from the star making it some kind of hot Io.  It's a volcanic world with few craters and a young surface.  I added in the update a dark lava surface making it IMO a less boring planet. 

TRAPPIST-1 c

This planet is still too close to the sun and due it's estimated mass, (1.63 times the Earth mass) which allow it to sustain a great atmosphere, I supposed is a Venusian world.

In the design I wanted to reflect that in this kind of cloud covered worlds the surface is dark due the fact the clouds reflect most of the light that would come to the surface, so I added another dark cloud layer under the bright one (to add a cloudy effect), darkened a lot the atmosphere but also making it less opaque.

Resuming, from the space the planet looks like Venus (a bight world) but if you land the surface and the sky is dark and the atmosphere is more transparent.

Surface of Trappist-1 c under the clouds:

TRAPPIST-1 d

This rocky world stays close to the habitable zone, the central part of the planet is hot and devoid of any liquid water but in the terminator zone the temperatures are warmer allowing the presence of liquid water.  In that zone I placed a big sea and some big lakes and rivers.

TRAPPIST-1 e

This covered water world has a floating ice layer over it in the nocturnal face. The warm water of the surface coming from the tropics melts part of the ice breaking into the dark side of the globe.

TRAPPIST-1 f

Stil not cold enough to sustain a dense ice layer, Trappist-f has some ice swamps, lakes made when big asteroids broke the ice and rivers where different plates crush together..

TRAPPIST-1 g

It has a dense crust of ice except in the latitudes where the red sun is still enough powerful to melt it and break some parts of the polar cap into icebergs where they float over it until the sun also shrikes them and finally they melt totally. 

TRAPPIST-1 h

The last planet (right now) of TRAPPIST-1 is just an iceworld. There is no liquid water in the surface, it's crossed by multiple cracks and has some craters.  Under the ice layer it could be a liquid water ocean warmed by the hotter mantle.  

That's all, and sorry for my "barbarian" english :)

Last edited by Cirax on 15 Aug 2018 12:10, edited 21 times in total.
My work for SE:
Textures for the solar system bodies:Click Here
Catalogs of binary stars, brown dwarfs, black holes and neutron stars (already in official SE).
Proxima b (6 versions):Click Here
Trappist-1: Click Here

TypicalPerson
Astronaut
Astronaut

TRAPPIST-1 System by Cirax

19 Jun 2017 02:50

I downloaded this, and this mod is really awesome. Here's some photos I took of the planets:
► Show Spoiler

Cirax
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

TRAPPIST-1 System by Cirax (UPDATE)

08 Aug 2017 05:42

New version of the surface of Trappist-1 b
My work for SE:
Catalogs of binary stars, brown dwarfs, black holes and neutron stars (already in official SE).

Cirax
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

TRAPPIST-1 System by Cirax (UPDATE2)

20 Aug 2017 13:03

Hi all, a new version for the system, here is the full list of changes: 

UPDATE2

Changes from the last version
:

--Trappist-1 b: Now has some less volcanoes and less active so I can avoid errors and the artificial grid effect in the distribution of volcanoes (with old value there was a couple of "black hole" errors in the procedural texture generation).

--Trappist-1 c: Temperature of the volcanoes decreased so they are a lot of harder to see from the night side.

--Trappist-1 d: Decreased temperature for volcanoes for the same reason as c.

--Trappist-1 e:
-Changed atmosphere model, it's also more opaque for the stars if you land in the surface, but still transparent looking it from the space.
-Some more clouds.

--Trappist-1 f:
-The swamp and rivers looking of f is now the one of the old trappist-1 g but with a bigger ocean.
-Changed ocean colour.
-Changed atmosphere like in e.

--Trappist-1 g:
-The icebergs sea looking of the old trappist-1 f replaces the old one.  There no rivers or swamps.
-The sea is some bigger to avoid the effect of a vertical cliff between the sea and the polar cap.
-Changed ocean colour.
-Changed atmosphere like in e.

--Trappist-1 h: Decreased brightness to a half.
My work for SE:

ProximaCentauriB
Astronaut
Astronaut

29 Dec 2017 21:16

Thank you for this beautiful solar system. I love c especially. The landscape so vast, like it goes on forever.
Space, the final frontier...
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k 4.0 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

30 Dec 2017 03:46

Nice.
If this can helped, here a screen in the game TerraGenesis use NASA artist planet :
F2F803B2-AAA5-4736-903D-D0AC6805D2C5.jpeg
View of Trappist-1 system in TerraGenesis
► Information

ProximaCentauriB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Want to remove patched version's default TRAPPIST-1

01 Jan 2018 16:31

Want to remove patched version's default TRAPPIST-1
And use the Cirax addon instead, as it has all seven plants, as opposed to the default one's four. Right now, I have two TRAPPIST-1 systems in the game. Is there any way to delete the default one?

Thank you.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

01 Jan 2018 18:55

Right now, I have two TRAPPIST-1 systems in the game. Is there any way to delete the default one?
ProximaCentauriB, I took the liberty to merge the topic you created into the actual topic of the addon you're referring to, in order to avoid more fragmentation of messages.
In my vanilla copy of SE 0980 I see TRAPPIST-1 having 3 planets. By putting Cirax .pak exactly as it is into addons folder, TRAPPIST-1 and new planets seem correctly managed as I don't see duplications.
Are you sure you don't have another script or .pak for that system?
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

ProximaCentauriB
Astronaut
Astronaut

01 Jan 2018 20:32

I went through my addons folder and also looked through all the scripts I've uploaded. The only reference to TRAPPIST is the Cirax addon. Isn't the addon supposed to override the game's default?

Here are some screencaps showing the duplicate star systems.
TRAPPIST-1 dupe.jpg
menu showing both trappists
scr00173.png
to keep
scr00174.png
to remove

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

02 Jan 2018 04:22

Isn't the addon supposed to override the game's default?
It does, in SE 0980 with no other addons.
TRAPPIST-1 is a star also known as 2MASSW 23062-05022 from the 2MASS catalog, which in your SE is apparently the parent of itself.
Are you using the patched version SE 0980e? In that case Cirax .pak could be not compatible and it needs to be modified.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

02 Jan 2018 04:49

Isn't the addon supposed to override the game's default?
If you use SE 0.980_e, all seven planets must be removed because SE 0.980_e already contains all seven planets.
This is done by this script.
// Remove default Trappist-1 System
// RemDefTrap.sc

Remove "TRAPPIST-1 b" {ParentBody "TRAPPIST-1"}
Remove "TRAPPIST-1 c" {ParentBody "TRAPPIST-1"}
Remove "TRAPPIST-1 d" {ParentBody "TRAPPIST-1"}
Remove "TRAPPIST-1 e" {ParentBody "TRAPPIST-1"}
Remove "TRAPPIST-1 f" {ParentBody "TRAPPIST-1"}
Remove "TRAPPIST-1 g" {ParentBody "TRAPPIST-1"}
Remove "TRAPPIST-1 h" {ParentBody "TRAPPIST-1"}
Remove "TRAPPIST-1" {ParentBody "2MASSW 23062-05022"}
Put it in 'addons\catalogs\planets'

In addition, the old star must be removed. This is done through this script:
// Remove default Trappist-1 System
// RemTrapStar.sc

RemoveStar "2MASSW 23062-05022"
Put it in 'addons\catalogs\stars'
RemTrapStar.sc
(91 Bytes) Downloaded 554 times
(Put in 'addons\catalogs\stars')
RemDefTrap.sc
(455 Bytes) Downloaded 574 times
(Put in 'addons\catalogs\planets')
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

02 Jan 2018 05:18

This is probably because catalogs.pak in the 0.980e patch has later modification date than Cirax pak file, so it "patches" the mod. Did you saved the addon paks into 'addons' folder? They must be saved there to avoid such collisions with SE updates, because files in the 'addons' folder have higher priority over files in the 'data' folder.

So, if you want to save addons to the 'data' folder (which is not recommended), you have to change the modification date of Cirax pak file to make it newer than any catalog pak files there. Unpack it and pack it back again with any zip archiver (*.pak is a renamed zip). This way Cirax pak will have later modification date, and will be applied on top of the default catalogs.pak file.

ProximaCentauriB
Astronaut
Astronaut

02 Jan 2018 11:22

The .PAK file is saved in the addons folder. I've put nothing in the data folder. I unpacked and repacked the folders into a new TRAPPIST-1 Cirax.pak file in the addons folder and ran the game again. The duplicate systems remain.
new trappist-1 pak.PNG
new pak file
new trappist-1 pak.PNG (21.31 KiB) Viewed 8745 times

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

02 Jan 2018 13:15

This is probably because catalogs.pak in the 0.980e patch has later modification date than Cirax pak file, so it "patches" the mod. Did you saved the addon paks into 'addons' folder? They must be saved there to avoid such collisions with SE updates, because files in the 'addons' folder have higher priority over files in the 'data' folder.

So, if you want to save addons to the 'data' folder (which is not recommended), you have to change the modification date of Cirax pak file to make it newer than any catalog pak files there. Unpack it and pack it back again with any zip archiver (*.pak is a renamed zip). This way Cirax pak will have later modification date, and will be applied on top of the default catalogs.pak file.
No.
Cirax uses a 'StarBarycenter' named "TRAPPIST-1 System".
His planets use this name as 'ParentBody'.
Therefore, all planets that use the name "TRAPPIST-1" as 'ParentBody' have to be removed!
The same applies to the star "2MASSW 23062-05022", since Cirax uses a 'StarBarycenter', not a 'Star' in the folder 'catalogs\stars'.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

ProximaCentauriB
Astronaut
Astronaut

02 Jan 2018 18:44

So I need to go in and make those edits to the script file in Notepad? Lemme take a look at it and see if I can. How do I edit the default script though? Can I remove the default system from the game?

The script file for Cirax addon already has them removed:
Remove "TRAPPIST-1 b" {ParentBody "TRAPPIST-1"}
Remove "TRAPPIST-1 c" {ParentBody "TRAPPIST-1"}
Remove "TRAPPIST-1 d" {ParentBody "TRAPPIST-1"}