Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Artist Rendition-Accurate Exoplanets

02 Sep 2017 21:53

I was considering adding these, they look gorgeous, but is it worth it?  Looks like people are having problems with the add-on?

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer

02 Sep 2017 21:54

I was considering adding these, they look gorgeous, but is it worth it?  Looks like people are having problems with the add-on?
Adding what?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

02 Sep 2017 21:59

Adding what?
the exoplanets listed on the previous page.

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer

02 Sep 2017 22:12

Adding what?
Ok, you probably should give it a try if you want the exoplanets. Though even if it does work, for some people the textures may not work properly.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

02 Sep 2017 22:13

Adding what?
Ok, you probably should give it a try if you want the exoplanets. Though even if it does work, for some people the textures may not work properly.
Should I add it to both the patched and pre-patch versions? I'm having issues with some textures with the new patched version.

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer

02 Sep 2017 22:17

Should I add it to both the patched and pre-patch versions? I'm having issues with some textures with the new patched version.
Yes. Unfortunately for me nothing new shows up at all. Did you just put the Addon in the addons folder and it appeared? By the way since no cube-map textures come with the .pak file, the textures may never work. They probably need cube-maps to even load, though I recommend giving the addon a try.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

02 Sep 2017 22:45

Yes. Unfortunately for me nothing new shows up at all. Did you just put the Addon in the addons folder and it appeared? By the way since no cube-map textures come with the .pak file, the textures may never work. They probably need cube-maps to even load, though I recommend giving the addon a try.
What confused me is that initially people were very excited with the add-on so I thought it was working but the last few people who tried to use it couldn't get it to work, so I wonder if something changed, either with the add-on or because of the patch?  I have both copies of SE and added it to both but I can't seem to "find" it- I still see procedural planets for those systems :(

JediTrekkie
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

03 Sep 2017 00:14

What confused me is that initially people were very excited with the add-on so I thought it was working but the last few people who tried to use it couldn't get it to work, so I wonder if something changed, either with the add-on or because of the patch?  I have both copies of SE and added it to both but I can't seem to "find" it- I still see procedural planets for those systems :(
what's confusing for some people is they don't realize it doesn't work by simply putting it in addons. you have to put it in addons/catalogs. I think that could be the case, but I usually just put it in the default data/catalogs. 

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

03 Sep 2017 00:59

what's confusing for some people is they don't realize it doesn't work by simply putting it in addons. you have to put it in addons/catalogs. I think that could be the case, but I usually just put it in the default data/catalogs. 
Okay, I'll try that then.  There are two add-on files from what I can see, so put them both in that folder?

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer

03 Sep 2017 14:52

what's confusing for some people is they don't realize it doesn't work by simply putting it in addons.  you have to put it in addons/catalogs. I think that could be the case, but I usually just put it in the default data/catalogs. 
With the .pak files, you usually just put them in the addons folder. Though if it is an .sc file, eg: just a single planet, you would put it in addons/catalogs/planets.
but I usually just put it in the default data/catalogs.
You probably don't want to put addons in the data folder, you should put any addons in the addons folder, that is why there is one.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Sep 2017 03:22

With the .pak files, you usually just put them in the addons folder.
Usually. If they contain the correct folder structure, that is:
catalogs/
        planets
        stars
The folder structure in 'Exoplanets.pak' is 'wrong'. It has only:
planets
stars
The 'catalogs' folder is missing. Therefore it must be put in 'addons\catalogs'.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

04 Sep 2017 04:56

With the .pak files, you usually just put them in the addons folder.
Usually. If they contain the correct folder structure, that is:
catalogs/
        planets
        stars
The folder structure in 'Exoplanets.pak' is 'wrong'. It has only:
planets
stars
The 'catalogs' folder is missing. Therefore it must be put in 'addons\catalogs'.
Jack does it work properly with the new version?

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer

07 Sep 2017 15:05

Update 2

Kepler-22 b
Top is artists rendition, bottom is SE.
I made a slightly different version of Kepler-22 b that looks a bit more like the Artist Rendition. If you want you can use it. (Note: It may look slightly different if you do not have real planet brightness on.)
Kepler-22 b.sc
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 611 times
Attachments
scr00002.jpg
Last edited by TheRedstoneHive on 08 Sep 2017 01:55, edited 1 time in total.

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer

08 Sep 2017 00:56

I slightly changed the mass and the rings on Kepler-22 b, so you may want to re download it.
Sorry if it sounds like I am advertising.

kham132
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

11 Sep 2017 19:57

Holy heck, I haven't been active on these forums. I've been busy with school, so any patched/updates are halted.
TheRedstoneHive, any more edits are great! This addon is open to anyone in any way.
A-L-E-X, download the file from the opening post or the latest post that I make showcasing a patch/update, and remove any older updates.