Cirax
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Solar System Textures and Less Brightness Addons

02 Feb 2017 11:03

SOLAR SYSTEM TEXTURES AND LESS BRIGHTNESS ADDONS

SOLAR SYSTEM LESS BRIGHT

This file is totally independent of my other textures for solar system addons but it can be also installed with them.

It just makes all planets, major and minor moons, less bright, the hapke is also removed except for europa and enceladus (with a very low value).  I reduced a lot the brightness of the atmosphere of Mars and Earth too.  In my opinion you can see the details a lot of better.

Click on the photo preview for better details:
less_b_preview.jpg
To install just copy it into the addons folder of SE.

Download Solar System Less Bright Addon

(UPDATED DATE AT: 13 March 2018)

PROBLEMS:  If you see doubled objects just download again the less brightness file.  It's a problem related with priorities given by the file date.  I'm constantly updating it.

SOLAR SYSTEM TEXTURES

-NEPTUNE AND TRITON
-URANUS MOONS
-SATURN MOONS
-VENUS

I'm going to post all textures I published in the old forum.

INSTALLATION: JUST COPY THE PAK FILE INTO THE ADDONS FOLDER OF SPACE ENGINE.

---------------------------------

NEPTUNE SYSTEM

TRITON
triton_s.jpg
triton_s.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 14434 times
It's not fully real, it's a composition build from the highest resolution parts of the closest flyby of the Voyager 2, making an overall HD texture.  I'm proud of it.

Credits: Steve Alberts owner of the original texture and me for the composition.

Download Triton

NEPTUNE
scr00037.jpg
UPDATE: I changed somethings like atmosphere, cubemap faces and like the others the brightness.  I advise to download again.

This texture is not mine, it is an adaptation of the Neptune HD texture of Celestia.  I adapted it to SE, looks a lot of better than the default one in SE.  I reduced a lot the bright of the atmosphere model in the code from Neptune (it was too blue and ruins the texture). The screenshot (dunno why) looks bad I uploaded a better quality screen but still looks strange.  The texture don't have any those "squares".

Credits: Celestia Motherlode  by FarGetaNik

Download Neptune

-------------------------------

URANUS MOONS

Voyager 2 flyby could only cover a half of the surface of this moons due the 90 degrees inclination of Uranus.  Because this I made the other unknown hemisphere with parts of the photographed one, I also replaced the worst parts. 

MIRANDA
miranda_s.jpg
miranda_s.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 14434 times
Another Celestia Texture adapted for SE. I always loved this one.  Not mine, just adapted.

Credits: Celestia Motherlode by FarGetaNik

Download Miranda

ARIEL
ariel_s.jpg
ariel_s.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 14434 times
Another composition, I made it from the best parts of the original picture.  A lot of better quality. 

Credits: Steve Alberts owner of the original texture and me for the composition

Download Ariel

UMBRIEL
umbriel_s.jpg
umbriel_s.jpg (37.83 KiB) Viewed 14434 times
Composition like the last ones.  The worst resolution of all Uranus moons but still better than the default in SE.

Credits: Steve Alberts owner of the original texture and me for the composition

Download Umbriel

TITANIA
Titania_s.jpg
Titania_s.jpg (39.23 KiB) Viewed 14434 times
Composition like the others.  Along with Ariel the best original quality resolution for the Uranus moons compositions.

Download Titania

OBERON
oberon_s.jpg
oberon_s.jpg (39.28 KiB) Viewed 14434 times
Last composition, good quality.

Download Oberon

---------------------------

SATURN MOONS

I did this textures before the official HD packs for SE.  They took me sometime so I want to share them.  I think Dione has some better resolution (it's based in a 23k resolution texture), and the other have some other little differences.  You might give them a try.

All moons original cylindrical projections come from JPL Nasa Photojournal 

MIMAS

I didn't made any edition, it's just the cyclindrical of the Nasa Photojournal adapted to SE.

Download Mimas

TETHYS

I made two versions of it.  One is a 4k resolution image of Thetys made in real colors, the other one has a lot of better resolution but is like a radar image with no brightness or colour differences, to simulate the high amount of ice in its surface I increased some the brightness.  So if you want good details download the HD version but if you want a real looking download the RC version.

Download HD Tethys

Download Real Colors Tethys

DIONE

This one has an original size of 23k, the stripes zone for example has a really good resolution. I also replaced the zone in the centrer of the stripes (that zone is from another texture with better resolution there) that in the original one was low resolution. Finally I hand painted the stripes because the original has no albedo differences. 

Download Dione

RHEA

Just the nasa photojournal texture of Rhea, no editions, real colours.

Download Rhea

PHOEBE
feb.jpg
It's not a texture, is a procedural moon that replaces the default one. This moon is a lot of darker and with a lot of big craters.
SS-Phoebe-Proc-Cirax.pak
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 632 times
-------------------

VENUS 

NEWS: I uploaded again all Venus maps because they were bad oriented. 

This texture is not better than the official HD pak, of course.  It's based in an 11k resolution image of venus colored, I replaced some parts with others with better fringes resolution. It has 2 bump maps, one is a fake bump map (not real) but with the same resolution of the original texture based on, the other bump map is real (author is John Van Vliet, thanks)

Texture map (download and install it always)

Venus Surface Map

Bump maps (INSTALL JUST ONE!):

Download Real JVV Bump Map

Download Fake Bump Map

Venus Dark Orange Clouds Addon

Due the thick layer of clouds that envelope Venus the surface is quite dark. I tryed with this addon to reflect that (of course from space Venus looks the same).  The file is just 2 Kb size, give it a try.

INSTALLATION (READ CAREFULLY):

WARNING: If you are using my Solar System Bodies Less Brightness addon you MUST download it again and overwrite the old one! (It's at the beginning of this thread and updated)

--If you are just using the default textures of SE and the bump map for Venus just download one of this files and copy it in the addons folder:

Download Darker Clouds Vanilla Addon

with the SE Venus original Surface map but orange-dark coloured:

Download Darker Clouds Vanilla Orange Addon

--If you are using my texture of Venus surface you must have this files in the addons folder:

- SS-Venus-Surface-Cirax.pak
- SS-Venus-Bump-Real-JVV-DEM.pak or SS-Venus-Bump-Fake-Cirax.pak

and finally download and put in the addons folder this file:

Download Darker Clouds Cirax Surface Addon

IMPORTANT: Don't use at the same time the vanilla clouds file and the clouds for my textures.
Last edited by Cirax on 15 Aug 2018 11:24, edited 78 times in total.
My work for SE:
Textures for the solar system bodies:Click Here
Catalogs of binary stars, brown dwarfs, black holes and neutron stars (already in official SE).
Proxima b (6 versions):Click Here
Trappist-1: Click Here

sircam
Observer
Observer

Solar Sytem Textures by Cirax (14 objects)

05 Mar 2017 23:56

Great work!!...thanks for share. 

Pluton
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

07 Mar 2017 06:35

You say Venus bump is real. Where did you take elevation data? I didn't find anything concrete in google.

sircam73
Observer
Observer

11 Mar 2017 00:44

You say Venus bump is real. Where did you take elevation data? I didn't find anything concrete in google.

Probably fron the original image of Venus without clouds from the mapping of Magellan spacecraft.  Looks very detailed.
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/file ... l_full.jpg

Pluton
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

11 Mar 2017 01:37

I already found a correct version.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

11 Mar 2017 08:44

Original Venus elevation (topography) map has fairly low resolution and many artifacts. Only Magellan spacecraft collected altimetry data so far. Other maps you can find in the Internet are some variations of radioalbedo maps, not the topography.

https://astrogeology.usgs.gov/search/ma ... _4641m_v02

The map is 8194x4097 (maybe corner pixels are duplicated, I don't remember). For SE, I fixed artifacts on this map, healed holes and smoothed out noise. Then I upscaled it to 128k and modulated with 128k radioalbedo map, used in SE as terrain color map. So actually Venus in SE has more detaild surface than Earth (Earth's 128k map in the Ultra pak is made by upscaling of the 86k BMNG texture, while Venus' map is made by downscaling of some 160k Magellan texture).

I may upload original and fixed map in RAW format, if someone needs it.

Cirax
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Solar Sytem Textures and brightness by Cirax (14 objects)

11 Mar 2017 09:42

It's in the same site SpaceEngineer said but in this url: https://astrogeology.usgs.gov/search/ma ... saic_6600m
I suppose you already find it.

NEW UPDATE:

-Nonsense to have real brightness enabled for the textures so I adjusted it to be disabled in the graphic options. I uploaded all files again with the change.

-Added also a new file that reduces the brightness in most of the solar system objects and it's totally independent and compatible with the files of this thead
My work for SE:
Catalogs of binary stars, brown dwarfs, black holes and neutron stars (already in official SE).

Pluton
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

12 Mar 2017 04:38

In my upcoming "Solar System Improved" mod
This is not a simply gray version, this is a rework of spectrum colors into elevation gradient. 
8192 x 4096
1.jpg

Cirax
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

12 Mar 2017 11:47

Good luck Plutón, I failed to transform the hotest colors into higher altitudes.

UPDATE

Related with the topic I added a procedural phoebe, reuploaded the less bright  mod (iapetus was too dark) and deleted enceladus (the official HD version is a lot of better).
My work for SE:

johnvv
Observer
Observer

Textures and less brightness for Solar System

10 Aug 2017 21:58

You are aware that 5 years ago i reworked the Magellan data to remove the striping ( 128k map) and create a hires heightmap ( 64k)

a link to a small 16384x8192 set
texture and heightmap

johnvv
Observer
Observer

Textures and less brightness for Solar System

10 Aug 2017 22:04

can not seam to be able to edit

a 2k 8bit normalized copy of the heightmap

Cirax
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Textures and less brightness for Solar System (UPDATE)

16 Sep 2017 12:36

A couple of updates:

-New bump map for my texture for Venus based in the DEM map of Jhon Van Vliet (thank you so much, man)

-New addon to add a lower orange-dark cloud layer for Venus.

Only a 20 per cent of the radiation from the sun reaches the surface of Venus, this surface is depicted as dark with a dark-orange sky which is what I tried to do.  I also made the surface atmosphere transparent. 

The layer is procedural (thanks to the awesome motor of SE is really good detailed), because of this there are some bright clouds and to colour them I added another middle layer (based in the original clouds of SE) and modulated the colour with a bright yellow.  So this bright clouds look yellow instead white (like sulphurous), I can change the colour for something more realistic (suggestioms accepted).
My work for SE:

smellywilie
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Location: Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group, Laniakea Supercluster

Textures and less brightness for Solar System (UPDATE FIX)

29 Sep 2017 15:56

Nice mod, Solar System looks great!
Hello, I love Space.

Cirax
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Solar System Textures and less brightness addons (UPDATE FIX)

30 Sep 2017 15:46

Thanks wilie
My work for SE:

tornadotodd
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Solar System Textures and Less Brightness Addons

31 Jan 2018 19:46

Original Venus elevation (topography) map has fairly low resolution and many artifacts. Only Magellan spacecraft collected altimetry data so far. Other maps you can find in the Internet are some variations of radioalbedo maps, not the topography.

https://astrogeology.usgs.gov/search/ma ... _4641m_v02

The map is 8194x4097 (maybe corner pixels are duplicated, I don't remember). For SE, I fixed artifacts on this map, healed holes and smoothed out noise. Then I upscaled it to 128k and modulated with 128k radioalbedo map, used in SE as terrain color map. So actually Venus in SE has more detaild surface than Earth (Earth's 128k map in the Ultra pak is made by upscaling of the 86k BMNG texture, while Venus' map is made by downscaling of some 160k Magellan texture).

I may upload original and fixed map in RAW format, if someone needs it.
Did you happen to ever upload that original by chance?