Ultimate space simulation software

Cirax
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Proxima b by Cirax (6 versions)

01 Feb 2017 11:19

PROXIMA b BY CIRAX

WARNING, THIS THREAD IS OBSOLETE PLEASE REFER TO MY EXOPLANETS THREAD!

-MARS LIKE PROXIMA b
-TERRA LIKE TIDAL LOCKED PROXIMA b
-TERRA LIKE 3:2 COASTLINE PROXIMA b
-TERRA LIKE 3:2 LARGE OCEAN PROXIMA b
-VENUS LIKE PROXIMA b
-SELENA LIKE PROXIMA b

UPDATE:

I added 3 more versions from original thread in the old forum: two new versions of the Terra like where the planet has been captured in a rotation period of 3:2 allowing a day cycle.  I also added a selena like version and removed the real brightness versions.

Hi, this are my six procedural versions of the recently discovered Proxima b planet around the closest star to the sun.

I made six different versions of the planet: a mars, venus, selena and earth like planets. As long we only know roughly its mass and orbit parameters and nothing about its atmosphere composition or surface, I made the most probably ones.

I found the Proxima b Mars like version the most probably scenario according the data we know about Proxima. The star is a flare star, meaning that from time to time the star emits gigantic sun flares that scorch the surface of the planet destroying its atmosphere, also there is a lot of highly ionized radiation coming from the coronal material expelled and even X Rays. That makes almost impossible to sustain any live in the surface and even a dense atmosphere.

The possibility of the planet to produce a powerful magnetic field to protect itself from the flares is low. The planet has a rotation period of some more of 11 days, with the internal dynamo model to produce this field its rotation seems to be too slow, so it will be its magnetic field (I could be totally wrong I'm not astronomer lol)

Notice I changed Proxima data itself because Space engine seems to use the apparent magnitude in the visual band as the main value to calculate the temperatures. This works well with the most of the visible main sequence stars, but it has problems with most extreme ones (M stars like Proxima and with O, B class stars). In the case of the red dwarfs (M class) most of the energy its emitted in the infrared, so it doesn't occur in the visual band (the apparent magnitude in SE refers to the visual band), so to get a more realist value for temperature I commented the AppMagn value and added the luminosity value (I also added some more data) and now works great.

INSTALLATION: JUST DRAG THE PAK FILE INTO YOUR ADDONS FOLDER IN SPACE ENGINE.  INSTALL JUST ONE AT THE SAME TIME.

MARS LIKE PROXIMA b

This version supposes a Proxima b without an enough magnetic field to protect itself, but with some volcanic activity to replace it. In this mars like version big asteroids had made big craters crossing without problems its thin atmosphere.

Global screenshot:

Surface screenshot:

FEATURES: Big craters, some volcanoes, dry rivers, weak clouds, thin atmosphere, hills and dunes,no auroras.

Download Proxima b Mars like

TERRA LIKE TIDAL LOCKED PROXIMA b

In this version Proxima b has a powerful magnetic field that protects it from the sun flares making possible the existence of a consistent atmosphere. With a dense atmosphere the planet can also sustain an ocean that extends around the terminator zone (day-night separation zone).

Global screenshot:

Global screenshot without clouds:

Surface screenshot:

FEATURES: No craters, some volcanoes, water rivers, ocean, big clouds, dense atmosphere, auroras.

Download Proxima b Terra like

TERRAS LIKE WITH 3:2 RESONANCE ORBIT

It could be that Proxima b got captured in an orbit resonance of 3:2 (like Mercury), that means for every 3 orbits the planet rotates twice.  In this case it will be days and nights like in the Earth but longer.  The climatic model will also change you can see a video of the model in the wikipedia article of proxima b.

I made 2 versions:

TERRA LIKE 3:2 COASTLINE PROXIMA b

A varied coastline aligned with the equator, with a lot of rivers and swamps.  The ocean is continuous in its 3/4 parts of the equator.

Global screenshot:

Download Proxima b Terra Coastline 

TERRA LIKE 3:2 LARGE OCEAN PROXIMA b

Looks closer to the model but I think is some boring, it's just an almost continuous ocean at 2/3 of the globe longitude, between two great polar caps and with a tear looking.

Global screenshot:

Download Proxima b 3:2 Terra Large Ocean

VENUS LIKE PROXIMA b

Proxima b is a hell planet in this like venus version. An intense volcanic activity produces a lot of greenhouse gases that keep the heat several hundred degrees beyond the boiling water temperature. Due this the planet has no icecap in the night hemisphere.

Global screenshot:

Surface screenshot:

FEATURES: No craters, a lot of active volcanoes, lot of mountains, no rivers, no icecap, cloud covered, dense atmosphere, auroras.

Download Proxima b Venus like

SELENA LIKE PROXIMA b

The last option.  Proxima b has been stripped away from its atmosphere due the high activity of the star, over billions of years of asteroid bombardment now the planet looks like our moon with some marias and long ago extinct big volcanoes.  It also has a frozen white zone around the terminator line.

Global screenshot:
s.jpg
s.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 7800 times
Download Proxima b Selena like

----------

That's all. If you want to try all three download them and once you are in the addons folder deactivate those you are not using changing the extension ".pak" to anything else like ".off". The result should be, if you are activating the terra version: Proxima b t.pak along with Proxima b v.off and Proxima b m.off in the addons folder.

Have fun, and sorry for my grammar or strange expressions I'm not native english speaker Image
Last edited by Cirax on 19 Aug 2018 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
My work for SE:
Textures for the solar system bodies:Click Here
Catalogs of binary stars, brown dwarfs, black holes and neutron stars (already in official SE).
Proxima b (6 versions):Click Here
Trappist-1: Click Here

Terran
Astronaut
Astronaut

16 May 2017 18:22

This is really good, so far I have been using the Mars version as that is what, to me, seems most realistic.  :)
To reality, through nothing, from un-everything.

Cirax
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

20 May 2017 14:33

Glad you like it Terran
My work for SE:
Textures for the solar system bodies:Click Here
Catalogs of binary stars, brown dwarfs, black holes and neutron stars (already in official SE).
Proxima b (6 versions):Click Here
Trappist-1: Click Here