Ultimate space simulation software

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Hornblower's Mods

25 Nov 2017 22:33

Thanks, but the LM is just a placeholder until I can find a model for just the descent stage.
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

OsoVenus
Observer
Observer

Hornblower's Mods

26 Feb 2018 22:45

Hornblower wrote:

[quote][size=100]Are there any satellites that anyone wants me to include?[/size][/quote]

I'd love it if we could get a model of the Himawari8 Satellite, as an Australian I really love it. Also the James Webb has a few models kicking around online. 

I know the following may not really count as satellites, but I'd love these too: Magellan, Juno, SpaceX's tesla (If possible)
^
‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Hornblower's Mods

27 Feb 2018 00:55

Hornblower wrote:

Are there any satellites that anyone wants me to include?
I'd love it if we could get a model of the Himawari8 Satellite, as an Australian I really love it. Also the James Webb has a few models kicking around online. 

I know the following may not really count as satellites, but I'd love these too: Magellan, Juno, SpaceX's tesla (If possible)
Magellan isn’t a ship or explorer or detroit :) ? Or seriouly here a Wikipedia link.
► Information

OsoVenus
Observer
Observer

Hornblower's Mods

28 Feb 2018 07:23

It might not be that, but its still cool. :( 

How about Himawari and James Webb though? Are either of those possible? What about the others. 
^
‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎

jadestar
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Hornblower's Mods

28 Feb 2018 13:20

It might not be that, but its still cool. :( 

How about Himawari and James Webb though? Are either of those possible? What about the others.
I would love it if Hornblower would do the James Webb Space Telescope.

Three years ago I semi-successfully converted the James Webb Space Telescope model from here: https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/jwst

[youtube]Qp3YyzQMlgU[/youtube]
It is a Maya model which I converted to an .FBX file with a trial of Maya 2015 which I imported into Blender to export as an .OBJ + .MTL file for use in Space Engine. I had issues with the reflective parts or materials. As you can see sections are missing or become transparent upon rotation. I am not a 3D graphics expert. I still am a newbie and this was only my 2nd attempt at converting a model to Space Engine after my first attempt at a much simpler model was successful.

Someone suggested I try again when 0.9.9.0 comes out but if Hornblower wants to do it I'll be very happy.
My specs:
Rig #1 MSI Z370 GAMING - CPU i7-8700k, RAM 32gb, GPU Nvidia 1080ti 11GB VRAM
Rig #2 Gigabyte X99-UD4 - CPU E5-2658V3, RAM 32gb, GPU AMD RX480 8GB VRAM

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Hornblower's Mods

28 Feb 2018 21:17

Unfortunately, I have reached a bit of a wall while developing it. If I add to many satellites, the models take longer to load for some reason. (Also, I'm not good at importing ships. The models are easy, but I can't figure out the textures)
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

SixStringLee
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Hornblower's Mods

04 Aug 2019 14:22

About placement of the .sss files. I'm sure I once knew, but had a massive virus wipe everything out...but what folder do I put the .sss files in again? It's been a few years since I put them in, and I can't recall the details. Forgive me...