Ultimate space simulation software

Cinderwolf
Observer
Observer

Online spacecraft editor

10 Aug 2017 11:38

I was sure there was supposed to be an 's' in there...
In older SE versions it was 'spacecrafts', with 's' at the end.
I think the very first post in this thread will need to be updated with the correct directory structure as it seems it's mislead a few in the past until now! :)

Rudolf
Observer
Observer

Online spacecraft editor

10 Sep 2017 03:15

hey ppl!
i have 3 questions.
first of all, the units used in the sss files are meters?
and secondly, how can i make a single docking port?
are the ships always docking up with their middle point, or can i make them to dock up with some other part of their models?
im thinking about making or editing big stations, and make them able to have bigger ships docked up as well, without looking really weird, and clipping into eachother.
thanks

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Online spacecraft editor

10 Sep 2017 20:00

hey ppl!
i have 3 questions.
first of all, the units used in the sss files are meters?
and secondly, how can i make a single docking port?
are the ships always docking up with their middle point, or can i make them to dock up with some other part of their models?
im thinking about making or editing big stations, and make them able to have bigger ships docked up as well, without looking really weird, and clipping into eachother.
thanks
Firstly, have you read this:

http://spaceengine.org/manual/making-ad ... ng-a-ship/

And yes, units in ship files are meters.

Both ships need a docking port in order to dock. Although I'm not sure how SE will behave if two ships attempting to dock both have more than one docking port.

If you have a ship selected in SE, you can press shift-F2 to enter the ship editor. You can add, move, and rotate as many docking ports as you wish. Or you can edit the .cfg file for the ship. (Either unzip the .pak file or edit an existing ship and save it, it will create a new .cfg file for it to see existing ship docks.)

Hope that helps.

-Alex

(Edit: Doh! editor is shift-F2, not just F2.)
Last edited by Mr. Abner on 13 Sep 2017 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

Rudolf
Observer
Observer

Online spacecraft editor

11 Sep 2017 11:19

hey alex (or mr. abner sire lol)
i wasnt aware, se has a working ship editor.... i was looking for it at the main menu lol
thanks, its gonna help a lot

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Online spacecraft editor

13 Sep 2017 10:26

hey alex (or mr. abner sire lol)
i wasnt aware, se has a working ship editor.... i was looking for it at the main menu lol
thanks, its gonna help a lot
Made a small edit to my previous post: the in-game editor is accessed via shift-F2, not just F2. Hope I didn't cause anybody any grief and frustration. ;)
-Alex 

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Online spacecraft editor

15 Sep 2017 04:16

That's going to be my next goal- ship and plane building! How do you cram so much stuff into a 1.5 GB program?!  An entire universe full of worlds that can be explored and a flight simulator on top of that? I have a 15 GB program that doesn't do all this (that I paid $300 for!)  The only thing it does that SE doesn't do is plot the motion of stars and galaxies and the solar system from 10 million years in the past to 10 million years in the future.

Mr. Missed Her
Astronaut
Astronaut

Online spacecraft editor

26 Sep 2017 19:36

I downloaded the downloadable editor, but when I tried to run it, it says that my graphics card does not support webGL. I tried enabling it in Chrome (which, somehow, the editor seems to use), but no luck. Any help?

But I could use the online editor, and I created this:
ImageImage
The Blockade Runner, a compact ship with one purpose: don't get destroyed. That is, other than moving things from planet to planet. It has heavy armor and powerful thrusters, and is capable of 33 g's of accel if it isn't transporting humans.
Attachments
blockade runner.sss
(249.96 KiB) Downloaded 681 times
Space is very spacious.

Hyper Quantum
Observer
Observer

Online spacecraft editor

06 Jan 2018 23:13

So while trying to edit the performance of my space craft, I changed the file to a Notepad to edit the performance of it. Now, I am with a file that won't be accepted by the sc-editor, since it's not a JSON. How exactly would I go about reconverting the file?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Online spacecraft editor

07 Jan 2018 01:39

Hyper Quantum, you can't - you have to save json as well as the sss.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Online spacecraft editor

07 Jan 2018 09:30

How exactly would I go about reconverting the file?
JSON is a plain text file. There is no conversion necessary. Just change the file extension.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Hyper Quantum
Observer
Observer

Online spacecraft editor

07 Jan 2018 13:05

Ok, I was able to do that, but I got: 'Cannot parse file: SyntaxError: Unexpected token N'.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Online spacecraft editor

07 Jan 2018 14:23

If by saying "edit the performance" you mean changing parameters of a .sss file, then I'm afraid SpaceEngineer is right.
.JSON files and .sss files are not interchangeable. If you have not saved your spacecraft to file (JSON) before exporting it to SpaceEngine (sss), the only way you have to work again on your spacecraft in the editor is by recreating it from scratch.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Hyper Quantum
Observer
Observer

Online spacecraft editor

07 Jan 2018 16:38

[quote="Mosfet"]edit the performance[/quote]

What I mean by editing the performance, is that I went in and changed the ship's maximum forward and reverse engine power and its warp drive's maximum boost exponent number.

tornadotodd
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Online spacecraft editor

08 Jan 2018 03:06

I need a program that I can import ships into SE ship editor, so that I can save the files that I need and get the ships into the game. I am pretty confused on how to do this. I found a program that has numerous file ext that I can save in. I have tried many and I always get an error. Only when I save a model as a JASON file do I not get an error but the model doesn't show up in the editor.. Sorry guys I am such a noob but I have been trying to figure this out all day.

tornadotodd
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Online spacecraft editor

08 Jan 2018 03:09

Would I just skip importing them into the editor altogether? And if so what is the best program to use? At that point do I borrow the code from the editor and do trial and error> I am so lost lol.