Page 4 of 10

Star Wars addons

Posted: 30 Dec 2017 14:01
by PlutonianEmpire
I disagree about the size of the SW galaxy, especially with the pick of Triangulum Galaxy. Mainly because I could have sworn the SW Galaxy was bigger than the Milky Way Galaxy although I dont remember if that is Canon.

Star Wars addons

Posted: 30 Dec 2017 14:59
by Wac
Triangulum galaxy diameter is smaller (60K ly) than Star Wars Galaxy one (>100K ly for canon version, 120K ly for legends one), that explains why several outer rim systems from Celestia Star Wars mod are outside of M33.

I already thought of porting Celestia mod into Space Engine programatically but planet settings are too much different and not as detailed as Space Engine can handle, so we would have to check everything and use the ingame editor to make everything fine.

By the way here is an export of swgalaxymap.com region, sector and coordinates of systems :
[url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=1McZLm78Bb3TqjFpAQeIQcj89o2dCb7si]swgalaxy_raw_data.csv[/url]

Since I didn't understand how url editor function worked and link where not easily readable, my modest contribution :
[url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xvLOpRpUUliNPKSWMUj3pbx4XCEKBaYT]Old Republic Ships (KotOR period)[/url]
[url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G4kbhb9YaZoHCBNL2ZlZGXuQYRDCMeHd]Sith Empire Ships (KotOR period)[/url]

Star Wars addons

Posted: 30 Dec 2017 15:20
by Spinecone
I also thought of porting Celestia's mod, but that would require a tremendeous amount of work, even Iego has its 1000 moons to add by itself.
By the by, Wac, your links do not work-

Star Wars addons

Posted: 30 Dec 2017 22:20
by Julian
Wac wrote:
By the way here is an export of swgalaxymap.com region, sector and coordinates of systems :
swgalaxy_raw_data.csv

Thanks for this export, but what's the meaning of the note that says "Coordinates ratio to convert swgalaxymap to se star wars galaxy (parsec) : 128,584,384,803,662"? What I've been able to figure out so far is that if we assume that the direction from the galactic core to Coruscant is the same as north in Earth's celestial sphere, and the arctan function returns angles in radians, then:

[math]

(180/[math] is the conversion factor from radians to degrees, there's a minus sign because right ascension increases from right to left, and dividing by 15 is necessary because 1 hour of right ascension = 15 degrees of arc), and

[math]

...but I still need to test this out on the mod.

Star Wars addons

Posted: 31 Dec 2017 02:49
by Wac
I think Firefox has a hard time to display embeded text like code, math url and so. So let me try with Chrome browser.

Links for KotOR Period ships :
[url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xvLOpRpUUliNPKSWMUj3pbx4XCEKBaYT]Old Republic[/url]
[url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G4kbhb9YaZoHCBNL2ZlZGXuQYRDCMeHd]Sith Empire[/url]

Star Wars addons

Posted: 31 Dec 2017 02:52
by Wac
Not better... try the following links by copying/pasting the text in your browser url field :

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xvLOpRpUUliNPKSWMUj3pbx4XCEKBaYT[/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G4kbhb9YaZoHCBNL2ZlZGXuQYRDCMeHd[/font]

Star Wars addons

Posted: 31 Dec 2017 02:56
by An'shur
Julian wrote:
[*]Added all objects from An'shur's December 1 post to the .pak file.
[*]Changed Beshqek's spectral type to B8 V (Byss is lit with an "eerie blue-green glow" according to Wookieepedia).
[*]Increased Byss' orbital radius to 1.1 AU because Beshqek became hotter.
[*]Changed the Stygian Caldera's orientation to Roll/Pitch/Yaw values and positioned it so that it lies mostly in the plane of the galaxy.


[*]

-Thanks for the addition!

-I still have not figured out how to colour a star green. Putting chlorine atmosphere is not satisfactory. I think that personal flares could help, but I have no idea how to do that. (And I have asked in the help section about green stars twice :) ) I chose G5V as Beshqek because of the orbital specifics of Byss from Wookieepedia and the Essential Atlas. Day length 31 hours, year length 207 local days, which gives us orbital period of 0.73205 years (0.73198 in my SE, nothing is perfect). This orbital period and the fact that the planet is habitable gives me no choice but to choose Sun-like main sequence star. I am just trying to be realistic. There is also one more inhabited planet in the system (Relus), which is nearly boiling at 90°C with a B8 V star.

-If you prefer a B8 V Beshqek, please set Byss semimajor axis back to 0.73198 and set Beshqek luminosity to 0.45. That way temperature of Byss will be 8-11°C and that of Relus 40-46°C.

-Speaking of Stygian Caldera, CatalogsSW.pak is missing both the textures and the model. It is supposed to look like this. You can download the model and textures here.

Star Wars addons

Posted: 31 Dec 2017 02:58
by Wac
It seems this forum's rich text editor doesn't let me format links, so here is a raw text version of them :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xvLOp ... x4XCEKBaYT
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G4kbh ... uQYRDCMeHd

Star Wars addons

Posted: 31 Dec 2017 03:08
by Wac
Julian wrote:
Thanks for this export, but what's the meaning of the note that says "Coordinates ratio to convert swgalaxymap to se
star wars galaxy (parsec) : 128,584,384,803,662"?

Just ignore this. That was before I read http://www.swgalaxymap.com/ unit was the parsec. So I found a ratio to convert map units in light year based on Coruscant distance to galactic center.

Star Wars addons

Posted: 31 Dec 2017 09:49
by Julian
An'shur wrote:
-If you prefer a B8 V Beshqek, please set Byss semimajor axis back to 0.73198 and set Beshqek luminosity to 0.45. That way temperature of Byss will be 8-11°C and that of Relus 40-46°C.

-Speaking of Stygian Caldera, CatalogsSW.pak is missing both the textures and the model. It is supposed to look like this. You can download the model and textures here.

Thanks for reminding me about the Stygian Caldera model. I've also reset the Byss system and updated CatalogsSW.pak at the same link.

Star Wars addons

Posted: 31 Dec 2017 10:39
by Wac
Julian, I tried your formulae with Coruscant system and there is a shift in "Y" axis but in "X" axis too.

I checked "ingame" and the galaxy doesn't face exactly sun north pole (I displayed vector for that.) I mean the galaxy plane and sun equatorial plane aren't parallel and the formulae doesn't take that into acccount. I suggest we either relocate the galaxy to face sun north pole or modify formulae to include rotation angles. I think the first solution is the easiest.

I known I'm a bit insisting but I made a little program to batch convert all systems coordinates from swgalaxymap into space engine and I'm only missing right formulae. After that we could only focus on tuning systems and planets one by one.

here is what I get :

Star "Coruscant Prime Test /Coruscant Test"
{
    RA         0.087333 // decimal
    Dec       191847.8855555 // decimal
    Dist       383000000 // parsecs
    Class      "G7 V"
}

Star Wars addons

Posted: 31 Dec 2017 12:00
by Julian
Wac, I've also converted your CSV file to a spreadsheet which computes RA and Dec for each system using the formulas I posted previously:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19zafALbE-mchYDKZgkJR-kmxrt2_KY57FS7tzkQSMEE/edit?usp=sharing

The declination value you obtained for Coruscant is way too big. Declination can only be in a range between -90° to 90°.

Star Wars addons

Posted: 01 Jan 2018 04:22
by Wac
Julian thanks alot and happy new year ! By comparing what I did, and your formulae on tablesheet I found where was my mistake.

Then I batch converted some 100 systems to Space Engine to show you the point about SW Galaxy Axis and why we need to take it into account (or change it). Your formulae work for objects located at galactic center, then more the system is rimward more the location is shifted away from galactic plane.
Let me show you that with pictures :

Here is a picture with SW Galaxy on the slice :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qIuwl ... MLNalIgs_j

Then a picture were I tried to find the plane on which systems will be located with your polar coordinates :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QEb2c ... ceMYs93S7A

Here is the catalog I used (based on your data) :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rc5L9 ... rvEXsurpEM

Star Wars addons

Posted: 01 Jan 2018 13:04
by Julian
Wac wrote:
Your formulae work for objects located at galactic center, then more the system is rimward more the location is shifted away from galactic plane.

Happy New Year too! Yes, I know the galaxy's orientation needs to be shifted because it's not fully face-on when seen from Earth. I also forsee that if you specify angles for right ascension and declination, but the distance is based on the galaxy distance of 3.83 x 108 parsecs, then you would be placing the stars on the surface of a sphere 3.83 x 108 parsecs in radius, so the distribution of stars will curve away from the plane of the galaxy at the rim. Given the vector from the Sun to the Star Wars galactic center, and another vector formed by the Sun and a star's RA and Dec angles, it should be possible to find the second vector's length at which it intersects the plane to which the first vector is normal, but I'd have to leave this to someone who knows more about vector algebra than me. This is why, instead of trying to programatically generate Space Engine systems for all 2000 stars in the atlas, I'd rather just add systems that were seen in the movies and adjust their distances from the Sun manually.

Star Wars addons

Posted: 01 Jan 2018 13:13
by Wac
Don't worry for distance, once galactic plane is parallel to ecliptic plane it will just be Pythagoras formula extended to three dimensions :
distance =  sqrt (x² + y²+ (distance to galaxy + z)²)