Ultimate space simulation software

Wac
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Star Wars addons

01 Jan 2018 15:19

I mean Pythagoras
Last edited by Wac on 06 Jan 2018 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

Star Wars addons

02 Jan 2018 12:21

It looks like the effect of curvature only creates a maximum difference of 0.3 parsecs in the distances, so it really isn't anything to worry about. Do you actually have a list of Z coordinates for all stars? If not, in my spreadsheet I generated random values in a range of 600 parsecs above and below the galactic plane.

Wac
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Star Wars addons

02 Jan 2018 17:07

Thanks, that's what I did. I rotated the galaxy for easier calculations, unknown Z coordinates are now generated randomly (+/-600 parsecs as you recommended), and generated random star classes, temperature level and luminosity based on milky way repartition.
The idea behind this is to have a working skeleton of objects (star systems, star clusters and nebulae) in which people can pick what they need without worrying about locating them in the galaxy.

Here is a first batch with Deep Core, Core Wolds and Colonies :

Modified version of Galaxy (with a first attemps to place Rishi Maze satellite galaxy) :

The galaxy radius has been expended (it will be possible to reduce it afterwards without side effect on systems.)

A core worlds nebula cluster location has been added on nebulae catalog :

And finaly a cluster catalog :

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

Star Wars addons

04 Jan 2018 13:43

It would be more mathematically accurate if the equations for calculating angular coordinates put the X and Y coordinates inside the arctan function instead of multiplying the angle of 1 parsec by them:

RA = 0.087333 - \left [\arctan \left (x / 3.83\cdot 10^{8} \right ) \cdot 180 / \pi \right ] / 15
Dec = 24.5855555 + \arctan [(y + 2131.37) / 3.83\cdot 10^{8}] \cdot 180/\pi

At the distances we're dealing with, it makes no difference, but errors would pile up at large angles.

Let me throw this question out to everyone who uses the Star Wars addon: If there's a star system in which we canonically know of only one planet, but there's no source that says the system has only one planet, should we leave the canon planet as the only planet in the system, or should we fill the system up with procedurally-generated planets?

An'shur
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Star Wars addons

04 Jan 2018 14:07

Let me throw this question out to everyone who uses the Star Wars addon: If there's a star system in which we canonically know of only one planet, but there's no source that says the system has only one planet, should we leave the canon planet as the only planet in the system, or should we fill the system up with procedurally-generated planets?
I would leave only one planet there. Some systems (Korriban), are specifically said to have only one planet. Most Star Wars systems possess a whole planetary system anyway, so I don't think that stars with solitary planets are too much of an eyesore, because they are uncommon. For that reason, I would keep them like this, including planets with no source confirming for sure, that they are solitary.

Slightly off-topic[spoiler]Contrary to Star Wars: In case of Stargate, it is much worse. Of 6 systems I created for my addon. only one of them can be seen with more than one planet in the series. This made me throw procedural planets in so the systems would appear more "alive" (Which I am probably going to cease doing for sake of creating more planets from the actual series).[/spoiler]

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

Star Wars addons

04 Jan 2018 15:42

What concerns me is that isn't any information yet about the star systems of any of the worlds introduced in recent movies, like Jakku, Scarif and Crait. As far as we know right now, they're the only planets in their systems.

Spinecone
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Star Wars addons

05 Jan 2018 11:24

Not really in topic but I also found an old site that has some little extra planet data that we didn't find in the wikia, especially the Yavin system which is pretty interesting.
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/orbs.html

Wac
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Star Wars addons

05 Jan 2018 17:16

Julian, ironically your last formulae are the ones I first used. But I got some weird results and since I'm not really familiar with polar coordinates I just gave up for a time. In fact the problem was I used galaxy diameter as radius in SE ...

So I modified my program to use your last formulas.

I would agree about having generated planets and moons in system with incomplete datas. I means some systems are depicted to have only one planet - that's fine ; but alot others are said containing at least one planet and we could totally let the SE procedural generator build them. 
As an example I would like to present you the Althir system with one planet : Althir III. Ok ... so where have gone Althir I and Althir II ? It is obvious this system should have at least 3 planets.

I'm cleaning my "program" (in fact it's only a web page with javascript calculations) and making it more user friendly. I then will post a link to it so you can use/modify it.

An'shur
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Star Wars addons

06 Jan 2018 08:12

Hey guys. I just installed Space Engine recently and I'm loving it so far (despite the crashes on my computer lol)! I also recently installed this mod as well and so far I like the collection of planets and ships offered. However, there are some things that I would like to recommend the maker of the addon to maybe add in future updates to the addon:

Planets: 
Mon Calamari
Byss
Nar Shaddaa
Nal Hutta
Ryloth
Ord Mantell
Csilla
Chandila
I should have noticed this sooner. I finished Byss and Ryloth, both are in the CatalogsSW.pak already, although Ryloth's moons require an update which I will take care of (I noticed that two or more moons are huge, they are not asteroids.) I am currently working on Mon Calamari, Nal Hutta, Nar Shaddaa and two system you have not suggested: Abregado and Ziost.

Wac
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Star Wars addons

06 Jan 2018 09:41

Here is the complete Star Wars Essential Atlas locations converted to fit in SE Star wars galaxy (which needed to be rotated in order to have easier calculations.) :

You can pick the system block you need and include it in SW catalog. Here is the related galaxy catalog (which is just a rotated version of the galaxy we use at the moment) :

If you are seduced by this addition and ready to switch to this catalog, I can take care about converting the systems already implemented into this "new galaxy". You only have to tell me ! (I'll also give you a link of "the converter".)

An'shur
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Star Wars addons

06 Jan 2018 14:18

Speaking of Abregado system, which I am working on. I encountered an obstacle. The star itself is supposed to be deep crimson red, and the orbital period of a terrestrial planet, Abregado-rae, is said to be 349 local days (which are 23 hours long), which gives roughly 0.9 years.
-If it was a brown dwarf, which by the looks of it probably is, any planet with such a long orbital period would be frozen solid throughout. The planet would have to be much closer. Even dropping the mass of the star down to Saturn does not move the planet close enough for it to both have an orbital period of 0.9 years and be habitable.
-If I used a red giant of any mass, I would have to move the planet very far for it to be habitable, which means much longer orbital period.
-I tried making a pseudo-giant using T7.5 V star with radius of 23 Suns and mass of 0.08 (about the lowest limit for it to be a star). This makes Abregado-rae habitable, but It looks horrible and the star engulfs half the sky when looked at from Abregado-rae.

My question is: What should I do? Ignore Wookieepedia by making a realistic system with believable orbital characteristisc, make a star twisting the laws of nature or something else?
Here is the complete Star Wars Essential Atlas locations converted to fit in SE Star wars galaxy (which needed to be rotated in order to have easier calculations.) :
Well this would be helpful, because the way I am putting systems into the galaxy goes like this: Look at the galaxy map > pinpoint the approximate location > run SE and zoom in > tweak the coordinates manually many times until it appears to be right. I should start doing it more properly :)

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Star Wars addons

06 Jan 2018 16:04

You can pick the system block you need and include it in SW catalog. Here is the related galaxy catalog (which is just a rotated version of the galaxy we use at the moment) :

If you are seduced by this addition and ready to switch to this catalog, I can take care about converting the systems already implemented into this "new galaxy". You only have to tell me ! (I'll also give you a link of "the converter".)
Oh nice work. I will see in detail later. Also a link to your converter can usefull.
► Information

Wac
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Star Wars addons

06 Jan 2018 17:13

SW Atlast to SE SW Galaxy converter :

Portage of existing catalog in the newly oriented galactic plane :

You'll find every other systems of Star Wars Essential Atlas in a text file under stars directory (CatalogsSW.pak\CatalogsSW\catalogs\stars\StarWars_TODO.sc.txt.) 
To include a system, copy/paste the "Star {} block" into CatalogsSW.pak\CatalogsSW\catalogs\stars\Star_Wars.sc (for star systems of course.) You'll still have to set the content of the system.

Three things are still undeterminated :
- Kamino is said to be in wild space on the edge of companion Aurek/Rishi Maze, a satellite galaxy, above SW galaxy plane (I put it at 5000 parsecs above galactic plane.) The question about Rishi Maze location remains.
- I didn't find Doornik-1142 system coordinates so I put it South of Doornik-628/J't'p'tan - on the edge or Koornacht cluster (as mentionned by wookieepedia.)
- I haven't found correct orientation of Stygian Caldera so I left it as it was (It's probably no more correct though.)

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

Star Wars addons

08 Jan 2018 00:19

The question about Rishi Maze location remains.
I would say that the Rishi Maze is located directly above the Rishi system. The Essential Atlas's entry on Rishi (p. 96) says "Its system has long served as the jumping-off point for hyperspace transit to the Rishi Maze satellite galaxy. A jump from Rishi, straight up and perpendicular to the galactic plane, allows travelers to traverse the Zareca String -- a line of fringe systems suspended in the space between the two galaxies that are used for restocking, refueling and navigation."

An'shur
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Star Wars addons

08 Jan 2018 02:26

- I haven't found correct orientation of Stygian Caldera so I left it as it was (It's probably no more correct though.)
I positioned it based on the location of Korriban from this map. It will have to be tweaked manually.